Gibson Brands Forums

G-400 Project

JamGuy

Hi all, Happy Holidays...

I've decided to give my worn brown g-400 a little love, new grover deluxes, new electronics and pups (Duncan '59 and a Custom 5) Just ordered up all the parts... I'll keep y'all posted on the progress.

Cheers, JG

Excellent choice of PU's. Perfect for an SG. Well done!

Yeah, I heard good things about this combo of pickups so thought I'd give it a try... I'm sure they'll sound better than the stock ones. The Duncans (59's) I just put in my Epi LP are great so I thought I'd try some more Duncan's in the SG. I just got done removing all the guts and tuners so I'm just waiting for brown santa now [biggrin]

Should be nice when it's done. I put the Grove Deluxe Green Keystones on my G-400 and I love them. There wasn't anything wrong with the original Grovers I had, but I like the looks of the Green Keystones much better.

Same here... I just like the look of them better. I'm going to install the stock nickel Grovers on a Cort Source (335 Copy) I have, The Cort has "aged" hardware that I don't care for....but that's my next project!

Yeah, I heard good things about this combo of pickups so thought I'd give it a try... I'm sure they'll sound better than the stock ones. The Duncans (59's) I just put in my Epi LP are great so I thought I'd try some more Duncan's in the SG. I just got done removing all the guts and tuners so I'm just waiting for brown santa now [biggrin]

You're on a roll! Some guys complain that '59N's are bassy in LP's, if that ever happens to you, raise the pole pieces and lower the bass side of the PU.

If you think your C5 could use more mids (depends on your tastes and your rig), you can swap mags and put in an alinoc 8, which makes the PU a 'C8.' That's very popular on the Duncan forum. That forum will also tell how to do a mag swap (only takes minutes, no skill required) and where to get replacement mags (very cheap).

You're on a roll! Some guys complain that '59N's are bassy in LP's, if that ever happens to you, raise the pole pieces and lower the bass side of the PU.

If you think your C5 could use more mids (depends on your tastes and your rig), you can swap mags and put in an alinoc 8, which makes the PU a 'C8.' That's very popular on the Duncan forum. That forum will also tell how to do a mag swap (only takes minutes, no skill required) and where to get replacement mags (very cheap).

Oh, I think they sound fantastic in my LP, not too bassy at all. Thanks for the info on the magnet swap... I'm going to try them out as-is and go from there but good to know there's some options to tweak 'em.

I went just a little different route with my 2010 Korina SG. Seymour Duncans, SH-4 at the bridge (what else) and a '59 at the neck, but it's a bridge '59. I did this for one reason only. I have other guitars for mellow neck sounds, I wanted that fire-breathing Terry Kath neck tone. And after listening to the sound samples on the SD site, the '59b seemed like the best candidate. I had set a budget of $120 for two pickups, new or used. I was hoping to retain the chrome covered look, but gave it up in that price range, as anything chrome was too beat up to put on a new guitar. I found a guy on eBay selling these new and providing a "make offer" option. He sold me both, including shipping, for ......$120. I bartered with my tech (his wife knows Mr Smith very well) to install them and trade out all of the electrics and nut, (the ususal, CTS, Switchcraft, etc). It's done. I just have to make time and pick it up now. This is half of my Christmas gift to myself. I post about the other half when the balance of the components come in.

FWIW - you can get chrome keystone button for the Grover Rotomatics. I've done it on several guitar. I really like the keystone buttons over the kidney shaped button on most Grovers. AllParts sells them.They don't have them on their site, but if you call them you can get them. I think the last ones I got from them were $15 plus shipping.

FWIW - you can get chrome keystone button for the Grover Rotomatics. I've done it on several guitar. I really like the keystone buttons over the kidney shaped button on most Grovers. AllParts sells them.They don't have them on their site, but if you call them you can get them. I think the last ones I got from them were $15 plus shipping.

I've tried to swap those out before and the screws are too short...I had to remove the plastic washers. They still work fine but I'm going for the green keys this time.

I've tried to swap those out before and the screws are too short...I had to remove the plastic washers. They still work fine but I'm going for the green keys this time.

So your buttons didn't come with new screws? Not trying to talk you out of the Green keys, I love mine. Just saying that every set of buttons I got came with screws, because the stock screws won't fit.

Hi all,

got the new Grover Deluxe tuners installed, and the new pickups, pots, jack, and switch installed with no problems...just waiting for my caps and truss rod cover to arrive and I can get it all finished and take it for a test drive. I'm looking forward to trying the Custom 5 pickup... I've heard good things but am not sure exactly what to expect. The descriptions I've seen makes it sound like a '59 with more oomph, time will tell. No problems with the wiring this time, I just opened up my LP and followed what I had going on in there... no more of that vintage braided wiring, I'm no fan of that stuff!

Yeah... pics are good! Here she is minus the plain truss rod cover that I ordered. Plays and sounds great... very happy with the new pups! Not the clearest pics but it's cloudy and dark in the house this morning...

wholesg.jpgknobse.jpg

innerds.jpghdstkfr.jpg

There's something to be said for the understated elegance of the plastic tulip tuners, and the thumb-cutters with the top hats is cool too, but '50s wiring with PIO caps and cloth covered wiring, who's a traditionalist then, eh, LOL.

Great job JG, very well done mate.

Archived