Gibson Brands Forums

Rare Bird ?

E-minor7

Last week I had the most diffuse if not unqualified dialogue with this seller. He failed to give me exact information about the guitar over 3 exchanges and even sent me to a (well-known) vintage site that said nothing.

How about you. Do you believe this is a 25,5 scale ? , , , some months ago we had one poster who claimed he was in possession of such a Bird, but as I recall it, he backed off.

My link

Looks suspicious to me. I did some research and found no valid info on long scale Hummingbirds ever being built. I guess it could have happened but I find no mention anywhere. And the bridge is wrong for the 60's - I think the Bird had the adj bridge into the early 70's, and there's no mention of it being changed on this guitar. It does look good, but I'm not too sure about how right it is. Buyer beware.

Don't know about the scale length, but it's easy enough to confirm by having the seller lay a steel rule along the board from the nut to the 12th fret, so you can read the number. I'm not sure why you'd want a short-scale dreadnaught, since part of the power you can get from the body style comes from the longer scale.

On the plus side, the guitar looks to be in generally good shape (if you ignore the decals), although the hyperbolic description by the seller sends my "bullcrap-o-meter" to 9.8 on a scale of 10. The only thing preventing it from reaching a 10 is the fact that he didn't describe it as a cannon with mojo.

Honest to God: can't anybody just give me a straight description of a guitar without making it sound like the second coming of C.F. Martin, Orville Gibson, or JC? (And I don't mean our friend Juan Carlos.)

Last week I had the most diffuse if not unqualified dialogue with this seller. He failed to give me exact information about the guitar over 3 exchanges and even sent me to a (well-known) vintage site that said nothing.

How about you. Do you believe this is a 25,5 scale ? , , , some months ago we had one poster who claimed he was in possession of such a Bird, but as I recall it, he backed off.

My link

Really sweet-looking HBird...! NICE!

I'm not sure why you'd want a short-scale dreadnaught, since part of the power you can get from the body style comes from the longer scale.

Okay Nick, quite a statement. Btw. I have 4 already and found this one interesting – even with the half kinky decals. (and doesn't slopes count as dreads as well).

As for the idea to make the salesguy measure the thing, you'll have to consider the fact he kind of talks through a haze and is by far the most imprecise long distance dealer I came across (and that means plenty). Thus I had no choice, but to give him up.

Finally – when doin' research on 60's Gibsons, you once in a while find serious capacities who'll tell you very odd creatures left the plant back in those days. Not seldom they simply took what was in stock, glued it together and released the thing as something it in reality wasn't.

I'm not saying old Kalamazoo was a pirat-ship, but some degree of anarchy seems to have blown through the buildings from time to time.

Okay Nick, quite a statement. Btw. I have 4 already and found this one interesting – even with the half kinky decals. (and doesn't slopes count as dreads as well).

I'm not saying old Kalamazoo was a pirat-ship, but some degree of anarchy seems to have blown through the buildings from time to time.

[/size][/font]

OK, I got a bit carried away, but hyperbolic sales rhetoric sends me over the edge. That, and a second glass of cabernet after dinner.

And no, in my book, a dread has square shoulders and a wide waist, unlike a "dainty" slope jumbo. To my ear, at least, the sound is totally different. Of course, I've never played a long scale AJ, so I'm talking through my hat.

Don't you ever sleep? It's the middle of the night over there.

OK, I got a bit carried away, but hyperbolic sales rhetoric sends me over the edge. That, and a second glass of cabernet after dinner.

No offense -

And no, in my book, a dread has square shoulders and a wide waist, unlike a "dainty" slope jumbo. To my ear, at least, the sound is totally different. Of course, I've never played a long scale AJ, so I'm talking through my hat.

Other voices might speak against you on the dread-theme - but yes, they are different. . .

Don't you ever sleep? It's the middle of the night over there.

Over here ! ? , , , I'm in a space-ship brother, , , with hangovers -

Ask him t verify the nut width.....I've seen Gibsons from the '63 era with nut widths UNDER 1 5/8"....WAY to small for me, still '63 was before Norlin Gibson went with the "double x-brace-sound-killing-bracing-system" so may be a good sounding one!!! Note seller claims action at the 12th fret is a "stunning" 1/8"......now for blue grassers this may be a stunning action for hard picking, but for me it wouldn't work. You have to lower the saddle by 1/16" to lower the action to 3/32" at the 12 th fret, and that would mean very little saddle left, which means neck reset down the line....his price seems high for this, but I'm well aware of the soft market.

Here's a '66 J-50 for under $2k

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/msg/2758375171.html

Here's a '66 J-50 for under $2k

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/msg/2758375171.html

Some of the early/mid 60's guitars might be sleepers, particularly if you get rid of the mass of the adjustable bridge. As Wily points out, you always need to confirm the nut width in these, just to be safe. The 1 9/16" nut is way too narrow for some people, although I've adapted to it for flat picking. It does force you to be very precise in your fingerings, which is probably not a bad thing.

Only way I know to possibly tell whether the guitar is righteous is to compare top bracing and bridge with a "normal" 1963 bird. A 25.5" scale HB should have repositioned bracing and bridge when compared to a 24.75" scale model. This is exactly what Gibson did in the late 1950s when they were slapping leftover Epi necks on J-50 bodies.

Finally – when doin' research on 60's Gibsons, you once in a while find serious capacities who'll tell you very odd creatures left the plant back in those days. Not seldom they simply took what was in stock, glued it together and released the thing as something it in reality wasn't.

[/size][/font]

I ain't buying folks like Ted McCarty, John Huis and others let any slapped together oddball guitars leave the factory. If nothing else, up to the mid-1960s, Gibson had an very elaborate inspection system with no less than three inspections for each department plus a final inspoection. Employees recall having guitars sent back from inspection for even the smallest of flaws.

Fred - As already mentioned, I can't cope with the kind of sloppiness he - the seller - launched during the first part of our overseas conversation – he's out of my game. So is the guitar (apart from this thread-echoe).

But yes, I'm interested in these first60's sq. sh's and found it worth it to investigate the 25,5 postulate. I don't doubt the date and see the guitar as the real thing.

As for the bridge, it's obviously a standard exchange.

Zomb.- I just have to say that this is what big capacities wrote me several times – independent of each other. I cannot take it on my coat as I don't know enough about what happened inside the walls of Kalamazoo in this period (unfortunately), but will repeat : The people who told me are U.S. heavy weights.

Another discussion is hereby open -

The roses ? - They rock !

Dang Em7....You are always so dramatic! When you said 'the tale has begun' I read it as 'the tail'...and I thought to myself....Hmmmm....No...the 'tail' is at 'the end'

I think I may have to hop on that spaceship thing you speak of... [lol]

Dang Em7....You are always so dramatic!

You know I already confessed that being a foreigner can cause imprecise linguistic dosage (good with an opportunity to repeat that once in a while). Now the word dosage f.x. , , , I can't judge if that phrase is misplaced, has a comical ring to it (which is how it sounds here) or is just plain corny.

I'm afraid I have to live with the fact that one or 2 sides of my Board-dice show hints of village-fool.

Please bear with me retrorod. And welcome inside the vehicle – can I serve you noodles with chicken, vegs and green vanilla tea. . .

You know I already confessed that being a foreigner can cause imprecise linguistic dosage (good with an opportunity to repeat that once in a while). Now the word dosage f.x. , , , I can't judge if that phrase is misplaced, has a comical ring to it (which is how it sounds here) or is just plain corny.

I'm afraid I have to live with the fact that one or 2 sides of my Board-dice show hints of village-fool.

Please bear with me retrorod. And welcome inside the vehicle – can I serve you noodles with chicken, vegs and green vanilla tea. . .

Keep at it em7 - it is always fascinating!

BluesKing777.

Hell, for ALL that!..... I am on board, my friend. CARRY ON [thumbup]

Dang, Em7! At 58 years old, I....just learned a "life lesson"... [crying] . As I have read you in the forum, I had percieved you as "talking above me".....BUT "in reality" you were only trying to communicate "with me"....

This is "HUGE"....

God Bless you and yours AND Merry Christmas..

RetroRod

Archived