Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Les Paul 100

Kyler Patrick

Hey ya'll,

I got a brand new Epiphone Les Paul 100 and it plays great. But I have some D'addrio super light strings and they keep breaking when I string the instrument. Anyone know what strings are best on the 100 for bends, hammer ons, and pull offs? I'll gladly accept any recommendations! Thanks!

Which strings are breaking?...All of them?

Where are they breaking?....Same spot each time?

You should be able to use any gauge you like on a LP-100.

When strings break it is usually one of the first 3 strings.

It is usually at the tuning peg due to a bur....

At the bridge due to a bur.....

Sometimes at the nut if it is binding enough....kind of rare.

Willy

Which strings are breaking?...All of them?

Where are they breaking?....Same spot each time?

You should be able to use any gauge you like on a LP-100.

When strings break it is usually one of the first 3 strings.

It is usually at the tuning peg due to a bur....

At the bridge due to a bur.....

Sometimes at the nut if it is binding enough....kind of rare.

Willy

It's actually just the first two strings that break. They'll break around the 10th and 12th fret while I'm tuning it.

I think it might be the strings that I've got. They're very light strings.

KP

...I have some D'addrio super light strings and they keep breaking when I string the instrument. Anyone know what strings are best on the 100 for bends, hammer ons, and pull offs? I'll gladly accept any recommendations! Thanks!

Are you sure they're not counterfeit D'Addarios?

They're a lot of those on the market: http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/58221-youre-not-gonna-believe-it/page__p__785596__hl__daddario__fromsearch__1&do=findComment&comment=785596

No, these strings are the real deal. They worked so well on my old SliverTone and I just checked, no sign of counterfeit strings. But thanks for the suggestion.

KP

Never tried Super Lights, but it appears the top two strings are .009 and .011.

That should be fine with a 24.75" scale length but maybe you got a bad or old batch.

Maybe try the same from another source or move up to 10's?

Never tried Super Lights, but it appears the top two strings are .009 and .011.

That should be fine with a 24.75" scale length but maybe you got a bad or old batch.

Maybe try the same from another source or move up to 10's?

Yeah I might just move up to tens cause D'Addrios hasn't let me down before and I'm not about to switch. Thanks for the suggestions guys, ya'll have been a great help!

KP

If it's breaking around 10 or 12 each time maybe the frets are rough and need polishing.

Info on how to do many such maintenance things is in the DIY thread pinned to the top of the Epi Lounge, big thanks to animalfarm who compiled and maintains it.

KP,

Seriously hope this doesn't sound stupid, but you're not simply tuning it too high are you?

Are you using a guitar tuner or any other measurement to hit the right pitch?

Cheers,

KP,

Seriously hope this doesn't sound stupid, but you're not simply tuning it too high are you?

Are you using a guitar tuner or any other measurement to hit the right pitch?

Cheers,

No, I'm sure I'm not tuning to high. I've been stringing and tuning for about 3 years now and I don't think I would make that mistake. In fact one of the strings broke as I was tuning it down, so it could something sharp on the tuning pegs or something like what Willy said way up there.^ But thanks for the suggestion.

-KP

I can't believe no one's mentioned GHS Boomers 'til now, I have .009s on the SG, and .010s on the Strat and the Les Paul. Great strings, my only niggle with them is this blackish stain they put on your fingers that washes right off, gotta wonder if it's some kind of oil they put on them?

Where are my manners? Welcome to the forum, you'll find out the jungle your wood for your guitar was cut from here...just kidding...dry.gif

No, I'm sure I'm not tuning to high. I've been stringing and tuning for about 3 years now and I don't think I would make that mistake. In fact one of the strings broke as I was tuning it down, so it could something sharp on the tuning pegs or something like what Willy said way up there.^ But thanks for the suggestion.

Okey dokey... &, yep, Willy is way wise [thumbup] ... but if they're breaking at the 12th fret when your tuning down I'm thinking frets [confused]

BTW, I have used D'Addario exclusively on all my geets for years also [biggrin]

I use D'Addarios for the most part as well. Never had a problem with them, but I've only used 9's at the smallest with that brand. But I have to say that I can (and have) bend 1 yr old + , black, corroded D'Addarios a full two steps and they dont break. As a matter of fact, I havent had one break ever. No matter how old or how far I bend.

I've also used Dean Markley 8.5s with no problems and I just picked up a set of GHS Boomers 8 guage. We'll see how those go.

As an aside, I just strung the G-310 with Elixers. I used to think I liked them, but now I'm not so sure. If I bend past 1 step they crap out on me for some reason. I never had this problem with D'Addarios on the 310.

I can't believe no one's mentioned GHS Boomers 'til now, I have .009s on the SG, and .010s on the Strat and the Les Paul. Great strings, my only niggle with them is this blackish stain they put on your fingers that washes right off, gotta wonder if it's some kind of oil they put on them?

Where are my manners? Welcome to the forum, you'll find out the jungle your wood for your guitar was cut from here...just kidding...dry.gif

I love GHS Bass Boomers, but the ones for guitar just don't do it for me. I stringed up my Epiphone with them a couple of times and they just sound dead right out of the pack to me. Could have been a bad batch too, I've seen that happen before. [unsure]

I used to use D'aQuisto Strings exclusively 'til they stopped making them. That was when I went back to GHS, never had a problem with them, but tthose D'aQuistos would last and last, I once had a set on 'ol Blue for almost 2 years before I had to change them...'course I cleaned them after each use...

KP,

Correct me if I'm wrong.....

What I'm seeing is one of two scenarios.

1. As soon as you put new 9g strings on and tune them for the fist time; the first or second string consistently breaks at or around the 12th fret.

A. Seriously, let me know if you figure it out.

B. Call in an Exorcist!

2. You put on a new set of strings, tune up the guitar......Play for a bit.....re-tune a time or two.......

"PING" ...The 1st/2nd string breaks around the 12th fret.

(A) Get a magnifying glass and do some serious checking from the 8th to the 15th fret.

If it's breaking around 10 or 12 each time maybe the frets are rough and need polishing.

I know you said you would but....take a good look through a magnifying glass.

You would be surprised how rough most frets are...even "right out of the box"!

If you do a lot of bending....

It doesn't take much of a micro-nick on a 9g string. A tiny bit of stretching and it will break.

Willy

You can tune the new strings a little lower. On the next day you can tune them right. This must work.

Okay this totally did work!!!

I put the 9's on again but tuned about three half steps down. Today i tuned them up and my guitar's back and plays nicely. I've got some Elixers coming in the mail and then I'm trying some Ernie ball 11-48. Thanks for the tip!

-KP

KP,

Correct me if I'm wrong.....

What I'm seeing is one of two scenarios.

1. As soon as you put new 9g strings on and tune them for the fist time; the first or second string consistently breaks at or around the 12th fret.

A. Seriously, let me know if you figure it out.

B. Call in an Exorcist!

2. You put on a new set of strings, tune up the guitar......Play for a bit.....re-tune a time or two.......

"PING" ...The 1st/2nd string breaks around the 12th fret.

(A) Get a magnifying glass and do some serious checking from the 8th to the 15th fret.

I know you said you would but....take a good look through a magnifying glass.

You would be surprised how rough most frets are...even "right out of the box"!

If you do a lot of bending....

It doesn't take much of a micro-nick on a 9g string. A tiny bit of stretching and it will break.

Willy

It's the first scenario, but I re-strung it yesterday but tuned it three half steps down. today I tuned them up and they worked. I'm gonna still check it out with a magnifying glass cause it could still be anything.

-KP

Haha, thanks for the warm welcome. So excited bout what I get out of this site!

-KP

Archived