Gibson Brands Forums

Educate me on LPs Please

Dg77

I'm looking for my first lp....need help with the different models

A quick outline of the standard, traditional, pro and plus would be appreciated. I'm aware of all the pups and neck profiles out there, just dont know the deal with each of the aforementioned models.

Btw, I really like this

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson-Les-Paul-Standard-Traditional-Plus-Electric-Guitar-104912340-i1400047.gc

Ultimately the differences in specs are not as important as which one you feels, plays and sounds the best to you. If you have a dealer near you, play as many of them as you can and buy the one that feels the best to your hands/ears.

I wholeheartedly agree with surfpup. I played more Les Pauls than I can count before I got the one that called to me.

I certainly will but just needed a starting point. Lol. I thought the standards and traditional were different but the link I posted is both standard and traditional....

I just went through the same process. Ended up deciding on a Standard '08. I looked at the one you linked, and they are nice. I don't like those tuners (personal preference - many like the vintage look) and I wanted something other than 57 humbuckers (I have an ES-335 and that's what it has, so I wanted something a little "hotter" for an LP). Oh, and I couldn't decide between the 50's and 60's profile neck, so I just got the asymmetrical. :)

P.S In reference to your last post, the Standards are chambered and the Traditionals are weight relieved, so they are definitely different in that respect.

Les Pauls are great, iconic guitars in various configurations...

Personally I don't own one...but have a few LP Junior types...often under-rated but huge fun...

Enjoy the chase !! Try many...

Remember the importance of amp choice and relative balance in the mix

The ideal trial is in a band at stage volume levels...

V

:-({|=

I certainly will but just needed a starting point. Lol. I thought the standards and traditional were different but the link I posted is both standard and traditional....

The "Standards" are the new "Standards"; Chambered........The "Traditionals" are best described as the closest to what "Standards" USED to be........

Meaning pre-1996ish........It is confusing to a "newbie."........Traditionals are actually called "Standard Traditionals." I hope this helps........

Now, IMHO, you'll be VERY happy with the "Standard Traditional Plus." They have stunning AA tops that rival many AAA tops............

I own a variety of Les Pauls.......I use my "Standard Traditional Plus" the most...............Mine's the "Desertburst" shown here......

DSCN1839-Copy.jpg

I'm looking for my first lp....need help with the different models

A quick outline of the standard, traditional, pro and plus would be appreciated. I'm aware of all the pups and neck profiles out there, just dont know the deal with each of the aforementioned models.

Btw, I really like this

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson-Les-Paul-Standard-Traditional-Plus-Electric-Guitar-104912340-i1400047.gc

I can't really speak to the differences between the various models, but I can say that I own the Traditional Plus and I love it. I've played various LP's (Trad Plus, Trad Pro, Standard, and Classic) and the Trad Plus just feels and sounds right to me. I like the 57 Classic pups (have them in my ES-339 as well) and the look of the Trad Plus too (covered pups, vintage tuners, figured top). I replaced the speed knobs with tophats and the TRC with a blank one to get a more "vintage" look, I wouldn't take for it now.

The "Standards" are the new "Standards"; Chambered........The "Traditionals" are best described as the closest to what "Standards" USED to be........

Meaning pre-1996ish........It is confusing to a "newbie."........Traditionals are actually called "Standard Traditionals." I hope this helps........

Now, IMHO, you'll be VERY happy with the "Standard Traditional Plus." They have stunning AA tops that rival many AAA tops............

I own a variety of Les Pauls.......I use my "Standard Traditional Plus" the most...............Mine's the "Desertburst" shown here......

DSCN1839-Copy.jpg

Hi Damian,

The top on your Desert Burst is truly awesome!

had to comment.....it's just too nice not to. [thumbup]

Nitefly

DSCN1839-Copy.jpg

That helps, thanks!

Nice collection! [drool]

Archived