Gibson Brands Forums

My 'New' Girl...

TreeHugger74

Just got her...2003 Standard.

Like to know what you all think?

Couple of newb questions:

Are the pups for this year Burstbuckers?

What is the best product and method for cleaning body and hardware(including pups)?

Congrats [thumbup] Welcome to the Heritage Cherry Club

AFAIK The early 2000 Standards came with 490R & 498T Pickups similiar to a Current Studio Model

Cleaning wise a dry cloth (NOT USED ON ANYTHING ELSE) is great for regular wipe downs of playing marks & prints

I also use "Gibson Pump Polish" Once a month but its not the only option available...

Just got her...2003 Standard.

Like to know what you all think?

Couple of newb questions:

Are the pups for this year Burstbuckers?

What is the best product and method for cleaning body and hardware(including pups)?

Sweet LP. Not sure about the pups, you might Google that guitar for specs and whatnot (wouldn't hurt to pull the pups out and check for yourself, someone might've replaced the originals with some aftermarkets). As far as cleaning, I use a soft cloth and nothing else to keep my LP smudge-free. If there's built-up grime, you might try Dunlop guitar polish, I use that from time to time. Also, a good spritzing of lemon oil on the fretboard does wonders.

Thanks for the comments...I'm really excited to get feedback on her.

This is my first guitar ever...used to play bass but this (6string) is a whole other animal. I never formally learned music or scales, can anyone recommend a good starting point. I want to take my time and do this right, I haven't played anything for over 20years.

Also...cleaning hardware...what's used to get the grime off and restore the shine? Do the screws and posts etc. need to be lubricated occasionally?

This is my first guitar ever...used to play bass but this (6string) is a whole other animal. I never formally learned music or scales, can anyone recommend a good starting point. I want to take my time and do this right, I haven't played anything for over 20years.

Also...cleaning hardware...what's used to get the grime off and restore the shine? Do the screws and posts etc. need to be lubricated occasionally?

Fantastic "first guitar ever"!!! Congrats and enjoy!

btw +1 for gibbo pump polish, dunlop polish 65, not far behind

Nice guitar!

Try Virtuoso Cleaner and Polish. I have never used it....but have seen testimonials that report the stuff is phenomenal, especially on older guitars, or those with dirty, neglected finishes.

Wipe it down with a clean, 100% Cotton or microfiber cloth after every session, once it is clean.

Lighter Fluid to clean the fretboard, Nevr Dull on the frets, then follow up with lemon oil on the board.

I never formally learned music or scales, can anyone recommend a good starting point. I want to take my time and do this right, I haven't played anything for over 20years.

You might want to have a look at JustinGuitar.com (already has well-structured offereings in the form of tips, tricks, licks, songs, lessons).

It's a free site, operating on an 'honour' donation system, but also has commercially available support in the form of books, cds and dvds.

And he seems a nice enough bloke.

He's session and usually known for being Katie Melua's guitar player / co-writer.

Or you could also have a quick search on YouTube.com for guitar tutorials relating to the kinds of music you're hoping to get into.

Love the top on your STD.

Definitely looks best in the second pic.

Hi TH,

Great top, congrats! In regards to your question on a good starting point, there are many ways to approach it depending on what you want to do. Apart from the obvious taking formal lessons, there are many pay and non pay websites out there that offer self study courses, one being the suggestion from RedSquirell. If you want to do it by yourself then I would recommend you check out Gibson's Learn and Master Guitar course.

Nitefly

Hi TH,

Great top, congrats! In regards to your question on a good starting point, there are many ways to approach it depending on what you want to do. Apart from the obvious taking formal lessons, there are many pay and non pay websites out there that offer self study courses, one being the suggestion from RedSquirell. If you want to do it by yourself then I would recommend you check out Gibson's Learn and Master Guitar course.

Nitefly

I did and am using Gibson's Learn and Master Guitar course that is available online and is quite enough to start with. I will definately check out RedSquirell.

Thanks nitefly [thumbup]

Archived