Gibson Brands Forums

Date an Les Paul '59 Made in Korea.

Guest plamss

Hi everybody,

The guitar was purhased in Chicago two ears before with case, for about 600$. Serial number is printed back on the head with gold bronze ink: A0100148. It belongs to my friend who is not familiar with comps and internet.

post-40104-056185700 1327398837_thumb.jpg

post-40104-078520100 1327398914_thumb.jpg

post-40104-009518800 1327399026_thumb.jpg

Plamss,

Welcome to the forum.

Not much help here.....sorry...

Never seen anything quite like it. Open book Gibson style headstock? Makes no pretense of being anything other than what it is.... A Korean made L.P. Yup kind of puzzling.

Have you had a chance to look in the control cavity? I would be curious to know if it has shielding paint and how the controls are set up. Would also be interesting to see inside of pickup cavities. Shielded? Writing or numbers on back of pickups? Cavities might also give some clues as to construction.

Maybe some sort of lawsuit guitar? Certainly not a "Fake". It does not try to portray itself as anything false.

Will be interesting to see if someone comes up with an answer.

Willy

edit: Possibly a prototype (maybe even for Gibson or Epi) that somehow made it into the market place?

W.W.

Plamss,

Welcome to the forum.

Never seen anything quite like it. Open book Gibson style headstock? Makes no pretense of being anything other than what it is.... A Korean made L.P. Yup kind of puzzling.

Have you had a chance to look in the control cavity? I would be curious to know if it has shielding paint and how the controls are set up. Would also be interesting to see inside of pickup cavities. Shielded? Writing or numbers on back of pickups? Cavities might also give some clues as to construction.

Maybe some sort of lawsuit guitar? Certainly not a "Fake". It does not try to portray itself as anything false.

Willy

edit: Possibly a prototype (maybe even for Gibson or Epi) that somehow made it into the market place?

W.W.

Hello Willy,

I'll try to make detailed pictures of those cavity you point me to resolve this " guitar misteria".

Thank's a lot for your compassion.

Plamss

Maybe look at the back of the pickups.

Z.

It's look like the sunburst one, but on the head instead of Gibson is writen just 1959 [confused]

Plamss,

Welcome to the forum.

Willy

W.W.

As Willy mentioned, upload some pictures and many here will be glad to help.

On a side note; Willy that avatar is a real work of art, a subtle touch so to speak, I didn't notice it for a while but when I did it said everything, nice work.

Some more pictures! But not in a perfect quality [crying] Tomorrow I'll send more in a good shape I hope [rolleyes] Sorry, there is some upload restriction(500kb). How to avoid?

post-40104-032003500 1327434163_thumb.jpg

post-40104-095540100 1327434192_thumb.jpg

post-40104-075175000 1327434206_thumb.jpg

post-40104-018944200 1327434220_thumb.jpg

post-40104-050592100 1327434232_thumb.jpg

post-40104-013753500 1327435353_thumb.jpg

Sorry, there is some upload restriction(500kb). How to avoid?

Hi and welcome to the forums, great bunch of guys around here, I hope you like the place.

Info on how to post pics is at the top of the DIY thread pinned to the top of the Epi Lounge, a great thanks to animalfarm (RIP) who created it, a true testament of his willingness to help others.

DIY Thread

This should probably go in the lounge since it's not an Epi Electric.

It's obviously some kind of MIK LP knock off that's either had the headstock modified or repainted or both. The quality looks to be decent, and it could be a

good player with a little TLC. As mentioned above, take a look at the back of the pickups for clues, although they could be replacements or transplanted from another guitar, so may lead you in the wrong direction.

At this point, the provenance doesn't really matter, it's not a particullarly valuable guitar and it's never going to become one.

Just fix it up and enjoy.

Archived