Gibson Brands Forums

Bling Nuts!

Rock and Reel

It seems there are various opinions on the value of certain embellishments and artistic ornamentation on guitars. For better or worse the word "bling" seems to have stuck. Whatever you call it I'm a fan! In 1933 Gene Autry told Frank H. Martin, "I want the fanciest guitar I can get" and the Martin D-45 was born. Some say fancy instruments are ostentatious and a waste of money. Others believe abalone purfling accentuates and brightens the tone of the instrument. Whether it's fancy fret markers, inlays, purfling, marquetry, or custom accessories let's see your fancy guitars and your thoughts on embellishments.

Hey Rock and Reel - don't be shy - I wanna see the whole guitar - that taste ain't doin' it for me. . B)

Some folks can't handle the little bit of bling on the J-200 -

08GibsonSJ200f-md.jpg

08GibsonSJ200b-md.jpg

Or the slightly more bling on my ES-359 -

ES-359-md.jpg

But yes, the D-45 has a lot more abalone bling - here's my 98 D-45VR -

D45vr-front-md.jpg

D45vr-sideheel-m.jpg

D45vr-butt-m.jpg

Here's my "Der Blingle" : a

1994 Gibson Custom Shop Starburst

This guitar was commissioned as a Custom after the Starburst was discontinued, with appointments and individual attention to the build beyond any stock Starburst - quilted amber maple with additional abalone rosette and top purfling, as well as Abalone Star fretboard inlays.

Starburst94Full.jpgStarburst94Custom%20%283%29.JPG

Starburst94Custom%20%286%29.JPG

Love the bling pics.

Rock and Reel - Your D-45 Koa is really figured beautifully. And that 356 is gorgeous. Is that a tangerine burst?

Yggdrasil - I recall a thread about the Starburst - your custom is beautiful.

Rob - where's the bigger pics. . B)

Love the bling pics.

Rock and Reel - Your D-45 Koa is really figured beautifully. And that 356 is gorgeous. Is that a tangerine burst?

Yggdrasil - I recall a thread about the Starburst - your custom is beautiful.

Rob - where's the bigger pics. . B)

Right you are, it's Tangerine Burst. The fellow I bought it from said he and his buddy special ordered

two in tangerine burst. Supposedly the only two CS-356s in that color but I generally buy the guitar not the story.

Great bling pics - keep 'em comin' . B)

Rock and Reel - Even more bling - love the vines. And the trapeze on your LP - looks like a Birdland trapeze.

Jchabalk - Love that pickguard on your beautiful SJ-200.

Nick - Ah yes - the custom bling work on your 45 is elegant - a perfect fit.

Archived