Gibson Brands Forums

What songs are you working on these days???

onewilyfool

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been (slowly) working up an instrumental harp guitar arrangement of "Ashokan farewell." At this point, I can play the melody on the guitar neck while playing a bass line on the harp strings (tuned in D, high to low: D, C+, B, A, G, E). So, now I need to work up variations and harmonies (while keeping that bass line going).

Another great tune, JT! Quite an undertaking the way you're approaching the song. I know you'll do a fine job!

He's always been one of my favorites and while I love songs like 'Pretender,' 'The Road,' 'Rosie,' and 'Love Needs a Heart,' the song 'Something Fine' represents the pinnacle of his musical power to me. Ever since getting his signature Gibson I've been working on it and hope to post my own video of it soon. In the meantime, enjoy the incomparable Jackson Browne:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yufoq3T-z_w

Another great tune, JT! Quite an undertaking the way you're approaching the song. I know you'll do a fine job!

Larry, thanks! It probably wouldn't be a difficult task for most players, but I'm painfully slow at this stuff. I work out the melody, then figure out a pleasing bass line, then slowly put the two together. Then I try to find harmony lines to make it interesting. The whole process takes me forever. I've go t a gig In a couple of weeks and had hoped to play this, but it won't be ready for prime time yet.

I used to play the Americana/roots/blues/rock stuff alot. Tom Petty, Neil Young, Dylan, Springsteen, anything with guitar and harmonica sometimes. Well, all of that is crap compared to my new love of songs and music. Now I play Britney Spears covers, Anything by WHAM. Poison, Any thing by Air Supply, you name it. Thats real music to my ears now. No seriously, Im working on some original bluesy/folk type stuff now, and some Petty stuff, and some Young stuff as well. JB's Running On Empty(acoustic).

Great video. Doesn't get any more intimate than that with an artist. Used to know that song years ago. Have an old JB songbook I bought back in the 70's that has that song in it. Time to dust that baby off. Thanks for posting.

My pal Jason Verlinde took that video to post on the Fretboard Journal site as a companion to my profile of Jackson. We all know what a great songwriter Jackson is, but after going on the road with him, I came away equally impressed with his guitar playing. I played though his guitar collection, too, and that old Smeck #1 is sensational.

He's always been one of my favorites and while I love songs like 'Pretender,' 'The Road,' 'Rosie,' and 'Love Needs a Heart,' the song 'Something Fine' represents the pinnacle of his musical power to me. Ever since getting his signature Gibson I've been working on it and hope to post my own video of it soon. In the meantime, enjoy the incomparable Jackson Browne:

What an incredible talent! Thanks for sharing this.

Archived