Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone SG off balance?

gu1t4rzan

I purchased a Epiphone G400 about a month ago from Sweetwater and I have noticed that the headstock seems to be heavier than the body as the headstock always lowers to the floor if I am not holding it. I have never experienced this with any other guitar I have played or owned. Am I missing something or Is this normal?

I did some searching in the forums but didn't see any post that was related to my problem.

Thanks!

That's just the way SGs are. you can remedy this "neck dive syndrome" as it's called by using a wide leather strap to grip your shoulder instead of a Nylon one for example.

more extreme methods include changing the machine heads for lighter ones or using weights attached to either the guitar body or the strap. some people even move the strap button.

I manage just fine using the wide leather strap method

SGs are prone to the dreaded neck dive, some more than others. I bought a Standard new in '67, and it would barely balance, but I've always used thick leather straps and I rest my right forearm on the body, so it wasn't too bad until I had the guitar refinished in about 1970, had the Vibrola replaced with a stop tailpiece and the Kluson tuners replaced with Grovers. The extra weight at the headstock and the loss of the Vibrola at the body end combined to throw the balance off a little. When Gibson described the original Les Paul/SG as being "delicately balanced", they weren't kidding! However, if you use a nice thick strap and try to avoid rock star poses (no clapping your hands over your head!) you should be OK.

I purchased a Epiphone G400 about a month ago from Sweetwater and I have noticed that the headstock seems to be heavier than the body as the headstock always lowers to the floor if I am not holding it. I have never experienced this with any other guitar I have played or owned. Am I missing something or Is this normal?

I did some searching in the forums but didn't see any post that was related to my problem.

Thanks!

Try putting a thin piece of foam robber with double sided tape onto the back.

Stops buckle rash and keeps the neck dives from occuring. A wide strap helps too. [thumbup]

Cheers

Paul

• 4 weeks later...

I hot glued 4 ounces of fishing weights in the pot & electronics compartment.

You have to be careful and ensure they don't touch anything but wood. I covered

the weights with hot glue, after the initial gluing, to keep them from shorting out

if they break loose. I'm thinking about removing them and putting 2 bigger 3 ounce

weights in. Though it helped noticeably with the 4 ounces. Even with a wide leather strap,

suede on the backside, it still dives some if you let go and move too much. Wide strap

doesn't help too much on loose shirts thataren't tucked in. It just pulls your shirt up

as it neck dives.

Welcome to the forum Tdiers. I was going to mention the HeadsUp strap, but saw that Bonzo already has in reply #8.

A small pouch could be attached to the end of a strap fairly easily, to hold weights.. something made of fabric could be stitched onto the strap, or maybe a small cell phone holster with a belt loop to slide the strap thru.

Installation of a Wilkinson Wigsby vibrato requires routing a cavity in the guitar body, but the weight is about 19 ounces (over 530gm), so it would definitely take care of the neck dive problem.

6927683077_934da090e4_z.jpg

I have lots of fond memories of Okinawa.. a wonderful place to see for anyone looking for a travel destination.

Bill

I hot glued 4 ounces of fishing weights in the pot & electronics compartment.

You have to be careful and ensure they don't touch anything but wood. I covered

the weights with hot glue, after the initial gluing, to keep them from shorting out

if they break loose. I'm thinking about removing them and putting 2 bigger 3 ounce

weights in. Though it helped noticeably with the 4 ounces. Even with a wide leather strap,

suede on the backside, it still dives some if you let go and move too much. Wide strap

doesn't help too much on loose shirts thataren't tucked in. It just pulls your shirt up

as it neck dives.

Archived