Gibson Brands Forums

How do YOU find new music?

ShredAstaire

I've found that college affiliated radio stations are often a good source for music I've never heard (not necessarily new). I also hear new music on boards like this. (I always listen to stuff you post, Shred, but don't always make it all the way thru. [drool][scared][thumbup] ) Other friends who are musicians are helpful.

Like milod suggested, there is so much great stuff before 1950, and there is even stuff from the '80s that I am still discovering.

Ha!! Good to know someone listens to stuff I post! :) If you keep listening, I will keep posting!

Keep 'em coming then. I spent last week listening to Graveyard in the car. Today I finally got to the Ghost album you recommended. Good stuff! [thumbup]

Hey guys...as most of you know. I have an insatiable appetite for new music and i'm always on the looking for a new band to listen to. (Sometimes an old band too!)

I have two main methods of discovering new music...

1) iTunes Store - "People who bought this album also bought..." I pick an album in my library that I like and i find it in the iTunes store and dig into this section. I'll sometimes get 20 levels deep before I find something I really like but it usually works. Sometimes the samples are a little misleading and i end up buying an album I don't love but thems the breaks.

2) Facebook posts - when any of my friends post a song from a band I have never heard of, I've made a promise to myself to ALWAYS listen to it...I've been surprised a few times!

Method #1 is more successful but at least with method #2, I am experiencing new music whether i end up liking it or not.

So...how do YOU find your new music?

I look in the music section of The New York Times; they have a lot of listings of jazz trios, etc. Also my local PBS station plays a lot of new music:

www.kgnu.org

It seems like there is a thriving music scene in Brooklyn also. http://www.thelmagazine.com/newyork/music/Section?oid=1133863

Archived