Gibson Brands Forums

Opinions please

tweed2

I've been selling off parts and pieces during eBays "free listing period". I've emassed enough money to pick up a tele/tele copy and need some input. Right now, I have three guitars available to me locally, in the price range I've set for myself. here they are: a late 90s Epiphone T-310 (it's black, so I'd have to strip the body and put a natural finish on it), a Fender Affinity tele, in natural and a Jay Turser JT-LT natural. I've set a limit of $140, to leave me enough to "upgade" a little. Anybody have any thoughts or opinions? Thanks.

The Epi T-310...............I don't consider "Affinity" Teles even guitars, but firewood.............

I myself wouldn't pay more than, well, nevermind............[blink][cool] ......................................

Greg owned and liked "Jay Turser" guitars........So, I still trust his judgment........................

For $140.00, I'd expect to get two of what what you want to get...........................................

The Epi T-310...............I don't consider "Affinity" Teles even guitars, but firewood.............

I myself wouldn't pay more than, well, nevermind............[blink][cool] ......................................

Greg owned and liked "Jay Turser" guitars........So, I still trust his judgment........................

For $140.00, I'd expect to get two of what what you want to get...........................................

All three locals are less than the $140 limit, that's just in case I have to add shipping from an eBay guitar that strikes my fancy. I'm in no hurry. The T-310 caught my eye only because I rarely see them available (and, I love the other Epis I have). I may have to buy "unplayed". My biggest restriction is the natural body requirement. All of my other electrics have them and I guess that I've painted myself into a corner now by creating a "family resemblence". Once you do taht, you eliminate the good deals available out there. But, I expect to pay a little more, and that's OK.

Do you know what year the T-310 is? The body wood is spec'd differently depending on the year.

1989 - "Select Hardwood"

1991 - Maple

1994 - Maple/Alder lam

1995-1997 - Alder

1999 - Maple/Alder lam

This is from my catalog collection. Depending on the year, you may not be able to do the natural finish on it. Though, I'm not sure just how accurate the Epiphone catalog specs are when it comes to one model listed with 3 or 4 different woods for different years. [unsure]

EDIT: One thing I can tell you is that I recently picked up a 1994 S-310 body that is spec'd as Alder/Maple lam. But for some reason the body I have is solid wood. It looks like mahogany, but I dont know for sure. I do know that it is neither maple nor alder..and ts not a laminate. So yeah. Not much accuracy in the old Epiphone catalogs.

And that is my concern. I'm not sure what is meant by laminate body, laminated like plywood, or several blocks glued together. If it's a plywood type lamination, sanding it down isn't going to look so good. Both the Epi and the JT are string thru bodies, which I prefer in a tele-type.

Thats a tough one with these S & T type Epiphones. They were really vague with the body wood descriptions. But, typically, laminate means "ply-wood" type lamination. Epiphone usually refers to 2 or 3 or 4 blocks glued together as "solid" construction. But its a crap-shoot with these older S & T types. You never know exactly what its going to be.

One cool thing you could do if it is in fact a laminate, is to just re-fin the top to a natual, like AF did with his LP Special. It might look pretty cool.[thumbup]

Thats a tough one with these S & T type Epiphones. They were really vague with the body wood descriptions. But, typically, laminate means "ply-wood" type lamination. Epiphone usually refers to 2 or 3 or 4 blocks glued together as "solid" construction. But its a crap-shoot with these older S & T types. You never know exactly what its going to be.

One cool thing you could do if it is in fact a laminate, is to just re-fin the top to a natual, like AF did with his LP Special. It might look pretty cool.[thumbup]

Hmmm...interesting idea and a lot less sanding, to. I guess that I'm going to have to try to make contact with these guys again and see if I can set up a couple of visits. Thanks everybody.

A good T-style guitar in a natural finish for a low price?

Well, it might take a bit of looking for on ebay or craigslist...and you may have to wait a while until one crops up, but a Yamaha Pacifica 102s would suit all your needs, wonderfully.

220157517833-1.jpg

78777-1.jpg

I remember these from the mid-to-late 1990s. Pacificas were wonderful guitars for their price-range, and this model was no exception.

If you can find one, they tend to sell for next to nothing: http://www.guitar-museum.com/guitar-78777-1995-Yamaha-Pacifica-102S...

...because, I guess, a Yamaha Tele copy just doesn't have the cool factor of, say, a Squier Tele copy.

But I reckon it would blow the three mediocre offerings you are contemplating out of the water....

You should be able to put together a decent tele style guitar from parts for your budget.

I built mine for an all in cost (including a pair of custom wound Bare Knuckle pickups) for just over £230. If I'd gone for GFS or similar it would have come in at around £140.

3 piece solid alder body, one piece maple neck & board, CTS pots & Switchgear 3 way.

Every piece was sourced separately on ebay over a three month period and put together over a weekend.

(Oh and before people point it out - the reversed configuration of the control panel is deliberate - I think Fender were the ones who got it wrong way round!)

DSCF0761.jpg

You should be able to put together a decent tele style guitar from parts for your budget.

I built mine for an all in cost (including a pair of custom wound Bare Knuckle pickups) for just over £230. If I'd gone for GFS or similar it would have come in at around £140.

3 piece solid alder body, one piece maple neck & board, CTS pots & Switchgear 3 way.

Every piece was sourced separately on ebay over a three month period and put together over a weekend.

(Oh and before people point it out - the reversed configuration of the control panel is deliberate - I think Fender were the ones who got it wrong way round!)

DSCF0761.jpg

Something I've considered, also. And, I've seen the reversed control plate several times in the last week now. Seems to be a popular adjustment. Nice looking guitar.

A good T-style guitar in a natural finish for a low price?

Well, it might take a bit of looking for on ebay or craigslist...and you may have to wait a while until one crops up, but a Yamaha Pacifica 102s would suit all your needs, wonderfully.

220157517833-1.jpg

78777-1.jpg

I remember these from the mid-to-late 1990s. Pacificas were wonderful guitars for their price-range, and this model was no exception.

If you can find one, they tend to sell for next to nothing: http://www.guitar-museum.com/guitar-78777-1995-Yamaha-Pacifica-102S...

...because, I guess, a Yamaha Tele copy just doesn't have the cool factor of, say, a Squier Tele copy.

But I reckon it would blow the three mediocre offerings you are contemplating out of the water....

I've seen several 311s, but never a 102. I'm not too worried about the cool factor, this would be my take out guitar that I wouldn't have to worry too much about. I want a certain look and something that's fun to play.

Archived