Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Genesis Reissue Review & Demo

brianh

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I cant help thinking that Epiphone need to market this a bit harder.

Well... that would certainly benefit Epiphone. As to them being more collectable... ;-) Not so much.

I have tried to personalise it and get it away further from the Les Paul by just changing things that are easily undone. Makes it look

more subtle to me by removing the 'poker chip' and different knobs.

Keep all the "stuff" you're changing out. Remember... it's only original ONCE.

I may well put a bone nut on, but the plastic one is ok.

That would be a good upgrade I suppose. For now, I'm not messin' with mine.

Larry, i am getting a decal made for the truss rod cover as i'd prefer it to let people know what it is.

Maybe.... sometimes leaving them slack-jawed and confused can be fun too. Mine is either engraved or silk-screened on there.

Dont think it needs a pick guard to hide that lovely flame either.

Well... there's that too. Just thinking to protect the top.... a narrow guard... but then, the only one that comes to mind is for the Les Paul and I don't wanna do that either. So ... leave it as is.

Brian is helping me with the case,wont be cheap, but i can sell the 'Slash' one it came in to help with shipping cost.

Yeah... the actual re-issue case I think is going to be the icing on the cake as to the overall package. Especially with all that I'm going through to get it.

Later!

Larry "Boneman" Bone

Cape Coral, FL, USA

Yeah... the actual re-issue case I think is going to be the icing on the cake as to the overall package. Especially with all that I'm going through to get it.

I received two Geni cases from Sweetwater yesterday for $100 each, one is already on it's way to Mako Shark.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/940-EGNCS/

The interior is much yellower than the original orange concept, but other than that, identical.

P1070520800_zps8708dd3b.jpg

P1070521800_zps25a47785.jpg

Mako had to get his as a 2nd from eBay since Epi is not distributing in Europe.

He couldn't get a case there either so the only option was for me to buy a couple and send him one via USPS.

It was $100 for the case, ~$70 for shipping, and ~$50 customs duty.

Bloody ridiculous, but he's a completion freak, like me.

Fitted bone nut and applied decal to truss rod cover. The Epi' E logo came off with a mild cutting paste. New decal is covered with several coats of clear to protect.

gendecal001.jpg

With Thanks to Brian for the Gen. script termplate.

• 2 weeks later...

Well... there's this one... but stupid money they're asking for it:

http://www.ebay.com/...=item5d3ea12bc8

That's the same dude that's asking $650 for an LP Jr. scratch plate: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1959-GIBSON-LES-PAUL-JUNIOR-USA-PICKGUARD-/400494431651?pt=Guitar&hash=item5d3f540da3

I should have a bunch made up and sell them for $9.99 just to mess with that guy...

Thanks Mark. I took that photo because I'm selling off the two on the left and wanted a pic for the archives.

Makoshark has already bought the black Deluxe, but the red Standard is still for sale.

I'm asking $400 plus shipping including a beat up but functional original vintage Genesis case if anyone's interested.

P1070584_zpsa2d0f62d.jpg

Wow... sellin' 'em off, eh? And the cherry red like my original.

Unfortunately, I must excersize restraint. Would love to indulge bit I simply cannot justify procuring another at this time.

Sad to see you're letting them go.... Old friends like that...

On the up-note, I picked up my case today. Holy SMOKES is that like international orange fur in there!

Later!

Larry "Boneman" Bone

Cape Coral, FL

Wow... sellin' 'em off, eh? And the cherry red like my original.

Nah, just a couple to pay off some bills. Hadn't really planned on sellin' the Deluxe, but Mako twisted my arm.

It's all good, I have way too many guitars and it's in good hands, he's playing the snot out of it with his twin stacks.

The red one is still for sale, but I'm not pushing it, might still keep it. Wouldn't mind if it went to a good home though.

The originals are better built than anything you can buy today in that price range.

Cheers, Brian

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The Epiphone Genesis was my first electric guitar. I got it in 1979 and loved it. The solid mahogany with the violin style raised body had sustain! I had the red wine color with the ivory trim and loaded with the double humbucks toggled to select single or double coil, it was great. It was all around just a great guitar! [thumbup] I played it through a Fender Bassman 50 with a 2-12 cabinet.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah but all major triads?

How about a minor or 7th chord once in a while?

Throw me a bone here!

Let's live a little dangerous and go Augmented, Diminished or a Major 7th or Minor 7th B) I heard a quote that once the brain is stretched into new arenas it never regains it's original form. When I was 15 John McLaughlin's Bird's of Fire reshaped me. I don't think I ever recovered...

Archived