Gibson Brands Forums

The Steve Earle Goodbye Thread

Buc McMaster

Hi guys , sorry for being late ! had house guests for a few days

cheers buc for getting the ball rolling!

the thought i had when juan requested you to sing this song was 'i know that song, its not a hard song to play, wouldnt it be useful if we had a collection of lots of different gibsons playing the same song for anyone who wants comparison tests'?

the bars pretty high , enjoyed yours and anne's songs a lot , theres another one thats also excellent, i'm gonna try and get him to post it on this thread

anyway ... here's my effort .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCs9byZipjQ

(get your fingers out everyone else ! ya bunch of yella S.O.B.'s !!! :-D. )

Yeah well fx are getting there...Emmy Lou back from the spa with those briquettes yet?:-)

Well done nice one enjoyed it- a natural song i think that suits your style - or your been listening to too much Mr Earley lol! -

Now more pls -one, two, three, four, heh

my names john lee pettimore

same as my daddy and his daddy before....

Only on mandolin of course! best

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, that was great Buc ! The J-45TV so so sweet and your voice is just all over this guitar, perfect blend. Note to self, i need to start capoing my SJ a bit higher, forget how great it sounds up there in the clouds !

Ooo, just noticed all the other efforts, that was great all round boys and girls, great stuff, each with their own personality and expression.

Lol I've heard the stories.

I best try and get this thread back on track... you gonna post your version soon DR? Lookin forward to it [smile]

I'm home tomorrow, (normally not home on weekends), so I'm going to try to put a version together in the morning.

I'm sure it won't sound like the others....mine will probably sould like Andy Devine is singing it!

I'm home tomorrow, (normally not home on weekends), so I'm going to try to put a version together in the morning.

I'm sure it won't sound like the others....mine will probably sould like Andy Devine is singing it!

I'm sure it'll be great. You gonna add some vocal harmonies? My friend just bought a helicon vocal harmony gt or xt I think (digital box). Yours sounded great - no matter what we tried most attempts sounded robotic.

And now, the story behind the writing of Goodbye

http://www.youtube.c...ature=endscreen

jdd707,

you know I had posted that video along time ago and only a few took interest in the song

I guess when Buc and Anne covered it , people got really into it !.

And I am quite happy I bet a few of us here have battled addictions to something in our lives

so that song is really important to me and I am truly glad that Buc accepted my request .

JC

jdd707,

you know I had posted that video along time ago and only a few took interest in the song

I guess when Buc and Anne covered it , people got really into it !.

And I am quite happy I bet a few of us here have battled addictions to something in our lives

so that song is really important to me and I am truly glad that Buc accepted my request .

JC

Pretty sure we all battle addictions of some sort.... relationships, food, drink, guitars, and drugs.

Some of them are quite harmful to the addicted person, and also their loved ones.

Our son became addicted to Meth when he moved in with a "crack-head" woman when he started college.

He was abusing for almost a decade. He finally got clean when he got busted, (for maybe the 4th time), and the judge read him the riot act.

Thank GOD for that judge! He's clean, got a great job and is back to the son we always knew he was.

Okay, the song is tougher than I thought!

Started on it this morning, here's what I got:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKAUX3Wb33A&list=UUvmCHAaDl3S4WXR0LytIYHw&index=1&feature=plcp

Rob ,

wonderful version :) .

you didn't dissapoint

great rendition and the bird sounded nice also .

thanks

BTW how old is your son now ?

peace

JC

Rob ,

wonderful version :) .

you didn't dissapoint

great rendition and the bird sounded nice also .

thanks

BTW how old is your son now ?

peace

JC

Thanks, JC.... I wish I had a couple of days to tweak it, but you get the idea.... not fingerpicked, (Anne did kind of a hybrid version, but everyone else fingerpicked the song), so I didn't do the same 'ol thing, (and my fingerpicking is dubious anyway!).

I did like the harmonizer on it, it's not like having Emmy Lou back ya, but it ain't bad.

Son will be 35 in May, not sure how that happened.... how'd he get so old?

Folks ,

here is a wonderful audio version by my friend Ken A.K.A Scratch47 .

he did the harmonica bit and he was a bit dubious of posting it here on the thread

but I was obliged to after I heard it :

http://www.soundclic...0&q=hi&newref=1

JC

WOW! What a GREAT version! LOVED the harp!

Ain't it amazin' that there are as many DIFFERENT versionsof this song as there are people playin' it?

What a GREAT thread!

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived