Gibson Brands Forums

Did Gary Moore really play out-of-phase?

Cú Chulainn

After Garys passing, a bunch of old clips was found on YouTube

and this one is especially interesting...

watch out when be talks about the Peter Green LP.

If you look really close, you'll see that the

neckpickup isn't turned backwards ... so ... did

Gary turn it around or did he have a new one installed? [confused]

I think it's the magnet underneath that is flipped to make the pickup reverse polarity. :-k

Yes. Turning the p-up around makes little difference. It has to be the magnet.

When he says the '59 LP is his oldest guitar I'm guessing he means it's the one he'd owned for the longest time.....

P.

...and now a followup question...

Was the magnet flipped from the get-go?

Rumour has it that a guitartech of Peter Green

was to repair the pickup for some reason and thus

flipped it around by mistake...BUT...since it has a

cover on, I wonder if came pre-flipped from the factory?

/R

Yes, the magnet needs to be flipped to get the pups out of phase, BUT, when PG had the guitar, the whole neck pickup was reversed-cover (with pole adjusting screws facing toward the bridge) and magnet. So, since the cover is in the correct position in this video, it begs the question as to whether the magnet was put right.

Yes, the magnet needs to be flipped to get the pups out of phase, BUT, when PG had the guitar, the whole neck pickup was reversed-cover (with pole adjusting screws facing toward the bridge) and magnet. So, since the cover is in the correct position in this video, it begs the question as to whether the magnet was put right.

I may be mistaken but, from memory, I'm pretty sure GM uses the o-o-p sound quite a few times on his 'Blues For Greeny' album.

I suspect that the magnet was left flipped. Moore probably just turned the p-up the 'right way' round.

From what I've read it was PG himself, when carrying out a bit of p-up maintenance, who flipped the magnet and yes it was, reputedly, an accident.

P.

I may be mistaken but, from memory, I'm pretty sure GM uses the o-o-p sound quite a few times on his 'Blues For Greeny' album.

I suspect that the magnet was left flipped. Moore probably just turned the p-up the 'right way' round.

From what I've read it was PG himself, when carrying out a bit of p-up maintenance, who flipped the magnet and yes it was, reputedly, an accident.

P.

That's the way I heard it also, regarding PG. Question: o-o-p? Out Of Phase?

After Garys passing, a bunch of old clips was found on YouTube

and this one is especially interesting...

watch out when be talks about the Peter Green LP.

If you look really close, you'll see that the

neckpickup isn't turned backwards ... so ... did

Gary turn it around or did he have a new one installed? [confused]

what a fantasic find/post! never seen it before! brilliant! [thumbup]

While it will not give you the o-o-p sound of flipping the magnet, flipping the neck pup around will make the neck pickup sound a little less "neckish" since the adjustable (and therefore normally higher) pole pieces are closer to the middle. I have one of my LPs this way now and like it quite a bit. [thumbup]

While it will not give you the o-o-p sound of flipping the magnet, flipping the neck pup around will make the neck pickup sound a little less "neckish" since the adjustable (and therefore normally higher) pole pieces are closer to the middle. I have one of my LPs this way now and like it quite a bit. [thumbup]

Yes. I was careful in my first post to say "little difference" as opposed to "no difference" for this very reason. The difference being, obviously, more treble.

The difference in 'adjustable pole-piece position' works out at them being roughly 8% nearer the bridge saddles compared with 'standard'.

I haven't tried it myself but as I'm more of a "neck-pup-with-treble-rolled-off-to-three" kind of guy the change would be the opposite of what I like. Perhaps I could start a fad by turning the bridge p-up around? Then again; perhaps not......

P.

Guest farnsbarns

Yes. I was careful in my first post to say "little difference" as opposed to "no difference" for this very reason. The difference being, obviously, more treble.

The difference in 'adjustable pole-piece position' works out at them being roughly 8% nearer the bridge saddles compared with 'standard'.

I haven't tried it myself but as I'm more of a "neck-pup-with-treble-rolled-off-to-three" kind of guy the change would be the opposite of what I like. Perhaps I could start a fad by turning the bridge p-up around? Then again; perhaps not......

P.

I'll bring some screwdrivers next time and move your pups/magnets around while you beat the hell out of my LP.

I'll bring some screwdrivers next time and move your pups/magnets around while you beat the hell out of my LP.

[lol]

Smashing!

I'll bring a ball-pein hammer, a Stanley knife and an old bike chain (and some beers; just to get everyone in the mood).....

[laugh]

P.

Archived