Gibson Brands Forums

New (old) amp

Dub-T-123

My drummer just got this old amp for his studio. Check it out

photo-1167.jpg

It's solid state but it sounds really sweet. It's got a really cool "vintage" sound to it.

I have to say.. Tube amps rule but I really love boosting the **** out of a simple old solid state amp. It gives me a really cool 60's garage rock sound or something.

We had a really great band practice with it yesterday and it has already inspired me to write a new song. I'm loving this thing!

These old Silvertone amps were indispensable to beginning musicians in the 60s,they were cheap and loud.We used a 100W Silvertone head for a PA in our first band and it served us well.That solid state one that you have looks to be in great shape-take care of it.

Great grab. Would love to hear this thing in action.

btw nice bass! Mustangs are my favorite next to an SG bass.

We mainly got it for recording. We're going to try to record a demo hopefully this spring break so if that works out I'll send you a copy.

Thanks I love that bass. The pic doesn't show it but that thing is pretty beat up. It's been dropped on the concrete, dropped on carpet (that's why I screwed those beer bottle caps onto it so the strap would stay on) and pretty much banged into everything in the studio. It's still totally solid with no cracks or anything. Those MIJ Fenders are super durable.

Sorry bout that I'll get back to you on the email

They used to sell them at Sears...remember the guitar case that was a amp? Came with what is now a Danolectric...they also had a little combo rig , amp head with seperate speaker, the head would slide into a neat little storage area in the speaker...

They used to sell them at Sears...remember the guitar case that was a amp? Came with what is now a Danolectric...they also had a little combo rig , amp head with seperate speaker, the head would slide into a neat little storage area in the speaker...

I used to have the amp/case. Pretty sweet little amp. i miss it

005.jpg

Wow! So many great looking bits of kit in so few snaps!

There are only six items - three amps and three guits - but they each have so much character. I love them all - especially the tube-amp-in-a-guitar-case!

There's definitely a lot to be said for simple tools. A basic, loud, s/s amp and a really cheap (but properly intonated) guitar would be a lovely pairing to capture the essence of 'Sea Sick Steve' sound!

And the Mustang bass looks very like my old 1971 Musicmaster bass. Brought back fond memories. I should, perhaps, have hung on to it I guess...

A great thing about all those items (AFAIK) is that, because they are not deemed overly desirable by 'Collectors' they can probably still be found at affordable prices - although I admit I'm not sure about the value of case-amp.

Great pictures, guys. They've put a big grin on my face! Thanks for posting them.

P.

...I have to say.. Tube amps rule but I really love boosting the **** out of a simple old solid state amp. It gives me a really cool 60's garage rock sound or something.

Those old solid state amps packed a pretty good punch too. My Kustom is a solid state, and it sounds really awesome with just a simple overdrive in the front. That's a great find. Sweet bass also man.

I used to have the amp/case. Pretty sweet little amp. i miss it

005.jpg

Sweet.

I have a Silvertone amp in case too, but it is the smaller version: the 1448. My amp only has a volume; no tremolo or multiple inputs. She sounds good for an eight inch speaker. But, yeah, those amps are death traps. There's no ground so you had better wear rubber souled sneakers and not touch anything metal. Been zapped a few times while playing this amp. Not fun.

Archived