Gibson Brands Forums

So, with all the "discontinued" guitars, what will be "new'?

crust

I see a lot of different Epiphone guitars are being discontinued (not just "limited editions", but some of the main models like the Emperor Regent, and others). What(if anything)will they be replaced with? New style guitars, just the "mainstays" or nothing ?

I'd like to get another Epiphone and am curious if the Epiphone guitar designers have any plans for new model guitars to replace the discontinued ones. Are there new model Epiphone guitars being designed as I type this right now ? What can I look forward to seeing, more copies of Gibson designs, or something completely new, or nothing ?

I think they should maybe RE-introduce a few, like the Firebird(s), and the Les Paul Classics, or some sort of Quilt-top besides the Ultras/Prophesy lines...a return to what they were as well as what's in store...

Here's an interesting note on the EPI LP Standard Plaintop. As we all know the bursts were discontinued leaving only the Ebony. Sam Ash is taking pre-orders for the Standard Plaintop in not only Ebony, but Pelham Blue, Metallic Gold and Cardinal Red. No PRO in the description and unfortunately no pictures yet either. SA is the only company I can find offering these finish colors. They could be an SA exclusive. It's the first I've heard of it. :-k

http://www.samash.com/p/Epiphone_Epiphone%20Les%20Paul%20Standard%20Electric%20Guitar%20at%20SamAsh.com_437091

At the very least there are some new color collections coming. In the Epiphone NAMM video Dr. Epiphone shows a "TV Pelham Blue" (Basically see through Pelham Blue) 339, a "TV Silver" Explorer and a "Black Royale" Swingster and says there are whole lines of those color schemes coming.

• 3 weeks later...
1330719442[/url]' post='1139151']

I see a lot of different Epiphone guitars are being discontinued (not just "limited editions", but some of the main models like the Emperor Regent, and others). What(if anything)will they be replaced with? New style guitars, just the "mainstays" or nothing ?

I'd like to get another Epiphone and am curious if the Epiphone guitar designers have any plans for new model guitars to replace the discontinued ones. Are there new model Epiphone guitars being designed as I type this right now ? What can I look forward to seeing, more copies of Gibson designs, or something completely new, or nothing ?

The trend seemingly repeats itself, and for the most part is deemed by sales demand. When something is no longer available it seems it becomes es more of a demand item. My first Epi was a 60's Coronet that was well-played before I found for sale in the used section of the music shop. That was about 1978. Wish I still had it! I was foolish to trade it towards a new Ibanez Roadstar in '83. I prefer Epiphones own models that Identifybwith their own history, but also appreciate their excellent versions of higher priced Models from Gibson's heritage.

Archived