Gibson Brands Forums

Honey needs a new set of tuners

music4love

I've decided that I can't stand to see my beautiful 2011 Hummingbird MC wear the chrome grover tuners that it came with any longer. A Hummingbird just looks incomplete without tulip tuners. Ive decided on gold hardware to compliment the honey burst finish. Can someone please recommend me a set that would be a direct replacement without any additional drilling and tell me where I can purchase for the best price. I wonder if going with the lighter weight tuners will have any noticeable effect on the tone?

I've decided that I can't stand to see my beautiful 2011 Hummingbird MC wear the chrome grover tuners that it came with any longer. A Hummingbird just looks incomplete without tulip tuners. Ive decided on gold hardware to compliment the honey burst finish. Can someone please recommend me a set that would be a direct replacement without any additional drilling and tell me where I can purchase for the best price. I wonder if going with the lighter weight tuners will have any noticeable effect on the tone?

My mind's eye sees the 'Bird with mushroom tuners.

110604_0259.jpg

And the Dove MUST have tulip tuners:

DSC01291.jpg?t=1264195596

All of the 'Birds currently listed on the Gibson website use gold Gotoh Kluson-style single-rings. If your 'Bird has Rotomatics, those have a unique footprint that is not directly matched by any other tuner. Not sure about the peghead hole diameters, but you should be able to fit the Gotohs properly, even if it takes adapator bushings.

Buc will know.

My mind's eye sees the 'Bird with mushroom tuners.

110604_0259.jpg

And the Dove MUST have tulip tuners:

DSC01291.jpg?t=1264195596

I don't know, Bob, that DIF headstock looks like something I might envision after ingesting a few magic mushrooms.... [biggrin]

Lovely tuners on both BTW.

The tuners on the 'Bird we so important, that I didn't buy one that had Art Deco-type tuners. To me it just didn't look right.

This is a pic of the actual headstock on the guitar I didn't buy:

HummingbirdKOA-4.jpg

The tuners on the 'Bird we so important, that I didn't buy one that had Art Deco-type tuners. To me it just didn't look right.

This is a pic of the actual headstock on the guitar I didn't buy:

HummingbirdKOA-4.jpg

Rob you def made a good decision there - I'm not a fan of Art Deco in general - and I don't think they fit the style of a Hummingbird at all. I like the green tulip tuners too.

My Hummingbird (non-TV) had Grover Rotomatics from the factory. I replaced them with Grover Keystones (buy them here at StewMac). The original Rotos had one screw hole, the Keystones have two. The one that is in the headstock already matches up with the lower hole in the Keystones so you will have to drill the second screw hole at the top. I, however, have not yet drilled this hole and have but the one screw installed. The post is nutted to the headstock so there is no danger of the machine head shifting.

My Hummingbird (non-TV) had Grover Rotomatics from the factory. I replaced them with Grover Keystones (buy them here at StewMac). The original Rotos had one screw hole, the Keystones have two. The one that is in the headstock already matches up with the lower hole in the Keystones so you will have to drill the second screw hole at the top. I, however, have not yet drilled this hole and have but the one screw installed. The post is nutted to the headstock so there is no danger of the machine head shifting.

The Keystone tuners seem to fit the guitar 'just right'.

Kluson do a period correct tuner which should just slot in to your guitar. Although you will have to get your Tech to drill a second hole per each peg...

5%20Kluson%20M33VG.jpg

Then there are the Tonepros.

These are better (higher gear ratio) but are slightly wider and may require drilling the peg holes if they are to small. This was the case with the Tonepros button tuners I bought for my LG-2 so I ended up getting the Klusons which are direct replacements of the old '58 yuners...

TPK.jpg

Here are the 3-on-a plate Klusons I reliced....

DSCN0419.jpg

Archived