Gibson Brands Forums

IS THIS RIGHT

PA.AXEMAN

It is difficult to set intonation with the screws in the back. I wonder why they put it back like that?

And they would have to completely re-do the intonation when they put it back on.

I would think either it was like that, or the tech had some particular reason for reversing it.

How is the intonation?

Gibson has never been consistant on the placement of the TOM bridge screws. Some are on the stop bar side, some are on the pickup side. Take a close look at the Gibsons/Epiphones at your local GC/Sam Ash/etc and you will find them both ways.

I've asked my techs about this and they seem to like the screws on the stop bar side. They say it is easier to set the intonation. I let them set them up any way they want as long as the intonation is correct. Bottom line is that it doesn't matter.

It can be placed either way, as long as the intonation is set correctly.

If your tech turned it so that it is facing a different direction from when you gave it to him, then he would have had to completely re-adjust the intonation, but there shouldn't be a problem...

The only thing you might have to be worried about is if the strings are contacting the heads of the intonation screws as they angle from the tailpiece to the bridge--that could cause premature string breakage. If it intonates correctly and you're not breaking strings, leave it alone. If it ain't broke don't fix it...

My Gibson LP came form the factory that way... It does not matter and set up is just as easy. I have done it several times.. If it sounds good and is set up good, leave it alone. you can always have them turn it around at the next set up.

My Gibson LP came form the factory that way... It does not matter and set up is just as easy. I have done it several times.. If it sounds good and is set up good, leave it alone. you can always have them turn it around at the next set up.

Well to me it's a sigh of a lazy tech. "It's just to hard to put the screwdriver blade through the string side." The Factory is not always right that's why they stamp "USED" on the back of the mistakes they catch.

Seeing that this was posted in the Epi area, Im guessing that this is an Epi LP. If so, the Epi bridge does not always have enough thread travel to properly intonate in the factory position, with the screw heads facing the bridge pickup. The Epi TOM isnt as wide as the US Gibson TOM and dosent have the same amount of threw travel due to this. Its very common to flip the bridge so the screw heads face the stopbar to see if it intonates properly. So in my mind the tech did what was called for if in fact intonation couldnt be hit in the factory position.

I had to do the same with my Epi Bonamassa LP when it arrived a while back. It just couldnt be intonated even close in factory position. Flipping the bridge was better/closer but only way I could nail it was with a Gotoh bridge. Gotoh Epi TOM bridges are basically the same size as the Gibson TOM and intonates perfectly.

HI TONY THAKS FOR THE FACTS.IM TALKING ABOUT THE INTONATION ADJUSTMENT SCREWS THEY NOW FACE TOWARD THE STOP TAIL.

That's the way round I certainly prefer. It makes not a jot of difference as long as the intonation is set ok. My Yamaha SG came that way and when I recently installed a GK3 pickup I put the bridge back that way.

Archived