Gibson Brands Forums

Classical Guitar

Vega1

I first discovered John Williams arrangement of this song and was blown away. If I could rub a lamp and be able to play one classical composition this would be it. I've tried to learn it for years and just don't have the ability/fortitude to get past some specific parts.

I will always consider anyone who can play this a guitar god. Period. [thumbup]

Its long, so if your not into classical or bored just check out 3:14 - 4:00, or 4:18-6:15, etc.

As a composition I just love the way it breaths, going between soft and loud, simple and frantic, precise and flowing, just love it.

I love playing classical guitar! Nothing can evoke such a beautiful romantic and meloncholoy sound as a classical guitar can. There's no hiding a mistake when it's just you and the guitar, no other players to hide behind, no distortion or effects to hide behind. You've got to be on top of your game to really play a classical guitar well.

I've never heard of this player before, and he's top notch without a doubt. Have you ever heard Scott Tennant and LAGQ? I really enjoy listening to them.

No question whether this is a great performance, nor that anyone who can do the piece is a "guitar god."

But, WADR, I think Segovia likely deserves the majority credit for working out the piece for classical guitar.

The piece definitely shows that were a good classical guitarist to choose to play in many other styles, he/she certainly would have the chops to do so - especially after folks began to realize one need not use a flatpick to play rock or jazz or country or most anything except bluegrass rhythm.

<grin>

Seriously, I've also wondered on occasion whether Joe Pass ever let himself mess much with classical.

m

I first discovered John Williams arrangement of this song and was blown away. If I could rub a lamp and be able to play one classical composition this would be it. I've tried to learn it for years and just don't have the ability/fortitude to get past some specific parts.

I will always consider anyone who can play this a guitar god. Period. [thumbup]

Its long, so if your not into classical or bored just check out 3:14 - 4:00, or 4:18-6:15, etc.

As a composition I just love the way it breaths, going between soft and loud, simple and frantic, precise and flowing, just love it.

Quite a performance...LOVE that 2" neck!

[thumbup]

I absolutely adore classical guitar music and have a pretty substantial selection of it with music dating from the times of the lute to when it evolved to guitar to modern day.If you want to hear something that's mindblowing in its presentation,pick up the CD by Eliot Fisk called-"Nicolo Paganini: 24 Caprices-Eliot Fisk" He did all the transcribing himself and when you hear what he does and picture in your mind what his hands must be doing you'll fully understand why he was Segovia's star protégé.John Williams and Julian Bream have done a couple of CDs with them playing guitar duets by Bach and other great baroque composers and their playing is without equal.

I could never get the hang of finger picking even after over 45 years of playing I just can't get my fingers to co-operate,woe is me.

lol all you want...

I was referring to your romanticization, not the music. I enjoy classical music to a great degree. Having said that, it's really quite trite to imply that Western classical music is of the highest and holiest order of musicality. There comes a point when you realize that arguing whichever genre has "the best" musicianship is an absurd and uninteresting waste of time.

I was referring to your romanticization, not the music. I enjoy classical music to a great degree. Having said that, it's really quite trite to imply that Western classical music is of the highest and holiest order of musicality. There comes a point when you realize that arguing whichever genre has "the best" musicianship is an absurd and uninteresting waste of time.

So your idea of countering that is to laugh at my comment. I know you are new around here and all, but we try to respect one another. It was my opinion, and I am not expecting you to agree with it. But had you posted something I disagreed with, I wouldn't laugh at you either. Again, you don't have to agree, but if you are cool, you won't DISrespect a comment either.

Cool.

Thanks so much for posting...

I am glad I stuck with it too, (because I has some misgivings with the way he interpreted the opening); but I stayed with it - and so glad I did! After the introduction this man completely takes off!! It is a simply stunning performance.

On a personal note, this piece is very important piece for me, because it was hearing a tape of the late Narcisco Yepes playing Bach (on a ten string guitar), that I realised this kind of music to me, just seemed head and shoulders above everything I had heard previously.

I am glad we don't have to choose styles and artists but if I could only have music by say three people, Bach would be one of them!

Matt

p.s

Thanks again for introducing me to this guy John Feeley. I have just been reading about him and finding other clips - he is from Ireland too, so very apt this was posted on St Patrick's day!

Cheers

Matt,

Have you heard of this guy?

He's a fantastic player and I am proud to call him a friend. I actually took lesson from him back in the early '90s when he was still getting established. He's a helluva nice guy too.

-Jeff

this is it!!!

I just found the Chaconne that was on the cassette I had of Yepes years ago !! This is interpreted very darkly and has a very different mood to the one in the op

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj8BRY-EQSQ

That is very cool. As I said I first discovered this composition through a John Williams baroque CD I have. Very interesting to hear all the different arrangements and approaches to playing one composition.

RE: different interpretations and arrangements...

That's why I like different interpretations and arrangements of "pop" stuff too, almost without regard to style or type of music, as opposed to an attempt at a pure "cover." But then perhaps it's just me. But I think that since Bach is "classical" (really baroque, but we won't go there), I think it's a great example of how different artists can and should best approach a piece from inside their own heads.

m

RE: different interpretations and arrangements...

That's why I like different interpretations and arrangements of "pop" stuff too, almost without regard to style or type of music, as opposed to an attempt at a pure "cover." But then perhaps it's just me. But I think that since Bach is "classical" (really baroque, but we won't go there), I think it's a great example of how different artists can and should best approach a piece from inside their own heads.

m

I still remember being 15 and listening with awe as my teacher told me that the man whose cd I had bought with me (it was the amazing genius Glen Gould) had a philosophy that if you were going to play something that others had played, there was no point in playing it the same way as that had already been done and was a waste of time and effort. If you were going to play and especially record, then make sure it is a fresh interpretation from your own artistic perspective.

Matt

heymisterk was right, and you know it.

Archived