Gibson Brands Forums

Stupid question but I have to ask....

iwalktheline

hey guys, really stupid question but I still wanted to ask. I have an epiphone hummingbird and the design on the guard is already fading away. I had this issue before with my gibby hummingbird and had to go through hell in order to get a new one but, i was wondering if it was possible to get a gibby guard for the epiphone? I realize I could just buy one of those $12 ones from ebay but Im sure the same thing would happen. Why would I get a real gibby hummingbird guard for an epiphone you ask? well, to be honest its a 2011 and sounds great. I eventually will get the pastic nut and saddle replaced with bone and I was also thinking of getting a real rosewood bridge down the line. I have a thing for the cherry sunburst and I feel it would be an amazing upgrade if or when I eventually get this stuff done. So...would gibson allow me to get or order a authentic hummingbird guard for an epiphone? any input would be great...thanks again boys

I guess what Gibson don't not know won't hurt them although you might have let the cat out the bag.

Problem is I think the only way to get a pickguard that will hold its color is to buy one with an embedded design. This is what Gibson used on their guitars in the old days (and why you see 60 year old J-200s with pickguards that still look great) Today though, I think you only get them on Bozeman custom shop guitars. Iyt is my understanding that standard Gibsons come with an engraved pickguard which as you and others have noted do not keep their color. Possibly laquering them would help but I am far from an expert on such things. With the Epi, who knows - it might just be a silkscrened design.

I don't think Gibson sells the custom emebedded scratchplates separately - only the engraved ones. Again, I am sure you could find out whether you could lacquer an engraved pickguard before slapping it on and whether that will solve the color loss issue.

There are plenty of good pickguard makers out there like Terrapin Guitars. Thing is I do not know if they sell pickguards with the designs. But you could give them a call. While I have never bought a pickguard off eBay other than a genric one for an old Harmony (which worked fine) - at $12 I would be willing to bet they ain't gonna be the best quality.

Good Luck and hope you find what you are looking for.

The new HB's ( apart from the TV's) all have a new PG with the design emmbedded into it.

You can tell these PG's as they have a sort of marbling/tortoise effect inside the material of the gaurd also. Not sure if these are being used on other models as yet.

It's my understanding from previous posts, you can only order a HB pg for a specific HB.. that is you must go through a authorized dealer and give the Serial number of the guitar for them to order one off Gibson.

(this helps in stopping fakes)

And they aint cheap.

The new HB's ( apart from the TV's) all have a new PG with the design emmbedded into it.

You can tell these PG's as they have a sort of marbling/tortoise effect inside the material of the gaurd also. Not sure if these are being used on other models as yet.

It's my understanding from previous posts, you can only order a HB pg for a specific HB.. that is you must go through a authorized dealer and give the Serial number of the guitar for them to order one off Gibson.

(this helps in stopping fakes)

And they aint cheap.

Have have heard they are not cheap too....although haven't been able to find a price.

Here is the 'embedded image' guard on a 2010 HB Modern Classic

and an 'engraved' pickguard on a 2011 HB TV

6826937274_e38facbf6b_b.jpg

HB_TV_Pickguard by bobbyjeepyj, on Flickr

Looks like the laminated bridge is getting to be the 'norm'.

Years from now the future Gibsonites will be able to date their Gibsons by this feature. Kind of like we do now with the volute....

From what I understand, through Hogeye, it is a temporary solution to sourcing issues, which they have apparently solved and can now get the required thickness of the Indian RW blanks.

as i have stated my HB TV has 2 piece bridge.. cant see frett board because of binding.. and I couldn't giv a hoot..

it sounds feckin great [thumbup]

and yea Retro.. will be a way to date the Lacey Act Gibsons

From what I understand, through Hogeye, it is a temporary solution to sourcing issues, which they have apparently solved and can now get the required thickness of the Indian RW blanks.

as i have stated my HB TV has 2 piece bridge.. cant see frett board because of binding.. and I couldn't giv a hoot..

it sounds feckin great [thumbup]

and yea Retro.. will be a way to date the Lacey Act Gibsons

And thus begins the 'law suit' or 'Fish and Wildlife' or maybe 'The Lacey Act' bridges. Worth more? or less? 20 years from now?

• 2 months later...

Anybody know if $2000, plus extras to get it to Canada to make it a total of about $2300, for a mint condition unplayed 2011 Gibson Southern Jumbo Special Edition. I think they just mean it has a "Banner Logo" on the head stock. "Only Gibson is Good Enough" or something like that it says. Does anyone know, or think, that this would be a good deal? I'm not expecting a "steal of a deal", but a bit of a deal. I ALWAYS wanted a GibsonSJ forever, and found one on eBay for $2000 plus $70 for USPS delivery, which may take longer due to Canada Customs delays but is the cheapest. With conversion fees, taxes, shipping plus the guitar itself, is $2300 give or take $50, be a fair price on one? An Aaron Lewis signature Southern Jumbo would run me close to $3000 plus the extras. I cannot seeing the Aaron Lewis signature SJ being $1000 better than this one. Gibson is pretty touchy with signature models. $2300 for new a Les Paul guitar today, but if it's the Slash signature Les paul, with nicer maple on the front, would be an extra $3000. $2300 for a nice Les Paul, but with Slash's signature and symbol on the head stock, is it worth $3000 more in quality for $5300 to $5700? I just can't see that. Anybody have an opinion. I respect ALL opinions, I assure you. Thanks.

here is a couple pics, not quite as fancy as the real Gibson ones but waaaayyy better than the Epiphone paper thin jobs. multi-ply with beveled edges, look really great. He made the custom Elvis style guard for my Dove too - I don't know if he would like his details broadcast on a public forum, but if you PM me I'll hook you up with him.

35b8fte.jpg

zkhiti.jpg

Archived