Gibson Brands Forums

Identify this "limited edition" trans black burst?

Damienl

Can anyone identify this Epi LP?

It doesn't match the old Joe Perry sig model, and it doesn't match the limited edition Trans Black Standard Plus because that had black hardware.

Maybe it's a fake?

photo-2.jpg

photo-4.jpg

photo-6.jpg

Has anyone seen a trans black Epi LP that's limited edition but not an Ultra, not a Tribute, and has chrome hardware?

Your guitar is a real Epi.............The pics are very grainy; Better pics would help........Welcome to the forum...........

This post brought to you by the original Damian...........[flapper]:rolleyes:[thumbup][sneaky] :unsure: [woot][lol] ................

ok, so its not a Plus Top model, unless I'm just not seeing the wood grain. The pics are pretty grainy. What is the serial...or at least the first 3 or 4 digits?

It's hard to photograph - I pulled the trigger on it today though, it looks legit to me anyway... But I still have no idea what kind of limited edition LP it was, and I've never seen this finish outside the Joe Perry signature model or the Ultras. Very strange!

IMG_1720.jpg

IMG_1715.jpg

IMG_1722.jpg

IMG_1688.jpg

Anyone have any idea? If my serial number skills serve me well, it was made in 2005 in Qingdao

Your guitar is a real Epi.............The pics are very grainy; Better pics would help........Welcome to the forum...........

This post brought to you by the original Damian...........[flapper]:rolleyes:[thumbup][sneaky] :unsure: [woot][lol] ................

What's up, fellow Damian!

It's pretty awesome having the best name ever, eh?

Oh no, it's the "EE" serial! That seems to be common on a lot of fakes, but I think the 'EE' is usually bigger than the numbers on most of the fakes. It could very well be legit. There's a guy here named Pete.R that is a wizard when it comes to identifying fake Epi's. I'm sure he will see this soon and give his opinion.

Welcome to the forums Damien, great group of geet geeks inhabit these parts, I hope you like the joint.

That's a great finish on a guitar, I have an Ultra-II in the same colour, very nice indeed, congrats and HNGD.

Thanks for the better pics. So it does have the wood grain on the back. I can clearly see it now. The LP Standard Trans Black special run was 2010-2011 and made for the UK, so its not that. I'm thinking that its a LP Standard Plus Top in trans black...though I'm not able to find any pics of one on the web. It is obviously a special run color due to the stamp on the back of the headstock.

I'm going with:

Legitimate, Made in China, 2005 Limited Edition, Les Paul Standard Plus Top in trans black with the pickguard removed.

Welcome to the forum. Great looking guitar!

Willy

Edit: If the wiring is original then remove the four screws on the control cavity cover.

It probably looks like this:

EEcavity-1.jpg

W.W.

Archived