Gibson Brands Forums

GFS Retrotron Liverpool

Sonny D

I have a set of GFS Liverpool pups coming on Monday. I was curious if any of you have these wired to enable the option of coil splitting? I am also considering in wiring them for independent volume control.

Also any other opinions on these pups or wiring options for these pups would be appreaciated.

Oh....I plan to install these in my Dot Deluxe

Thanks for any help!

Sonny

I'm not familiar with these particular pickups, but if they have 4 leads they can be wired for coil splitting.

Independant volume might be a bit harder, as you would need 2 additional volume controls.

Generally these are wired with a "Push-Pull" switch, or a "Push-Push" switch for splitting the coils.

After that the volume can be turned up or down.

As a general rule you would not be splitting the coils in the middle of a song, so the extra volumes would be redundant. Most of the time the pickup options are pre-selected, for each song.

The coil splitting option is mostly to give you more tonal options.

Independant volume might be a bit harder, as you would need 2 additional volume controls.

What, what, what, think you've got the wrong end of the stick here Gordy. Independent volume wiring scheme is achieved with the same number of controls, it refers to being able to independently control the full volume sweep of each pup in the middle switch position, so that turning one of the volumes all the way down will affect only the associated pup, not the other pup as in dependent wiring (the standard Epi scheme). All that has to be done is to swap the pup's hot lead and tone pot wire with the 3-way switch wire at the volume pots, Modern Independent is my favourite scheme, I make that mod on most the guitars I play regularly (more than once a year, LOL).

Back to the OP, I have a GFS retron in a few of my guitars and they sound great, the wiring options you've chosen would be very easy to achieve and are quite useful in providing several tonal options on the fly, good choice.

Thanks for the replies! I do plan on wiring modern independent. I'd like to clarify my original post: I was wondering if any of you wired for coil splitting and what are your opinions on the sound. I don't want to install & wire push-pulls if they sound weak and crappy in single coil mode.

I also appreciate the input from those of you that have the Liverpools,it's nice to know if I screwed up, I'm not the only one! [blink]

Thanks for the replies! I do plan on wiring modern independent. I'd like to clarify my original post: I was wondering if any of you wired for coil splitting and what are your opinions on the sound. I don't want to install & wire push-pulls if they sound weak and crappy in single coil mode.

I also appreciate the input from those of you that have the Liverpools,it's nice to know if I screwed up, I'm not the only one! [blink]

The retrons I have I think are the Nashvilles, so I can't comment on the Liverpools, though I can't imagine there'd be a world of difference, and the Nashvilles are fine pickups.

A coil split bucker's output would typically be about %50 - %60 of the original signal, this can be overcome by having the volume turned down to about 6 or 7 while in normal mode, and when pulling the knob to change into split mode, a simple flick of the volume back up to full would compensate for this change in output levels.

What, what, what, think you've got the wrong end of the stick here Gordy. Independent volume wiring scheme is achieved with the same number of controls, it refers to being able to independently control the full volume sweep of each pup in the middle switch position, so that turning one of the volumes all the way down will affect only the associated pup, not the other pup as in dependent wiring (the standard Epi scheme). All that has to be done is to swap the pup's hot lead and tone pot wire with the 3-way switch wire at the volume pots, Modern Independent is my favourite scheme, I make that mod on most the guitars I play regularly (more than once a year, LOL).

Back to the OP, I have a GFS retron in a few of my guitars and they sound great, the wiring options you've chosen would be very easy to achieve and are quite useful in providing several tonal options on the fly, good choice.

My mistake RasTus. I assumed he wanted to control the single coil option independantly from the humbucker option.

You are quite correct in your reply to the OP. Independant volume with coil split is possible with 2 volume/coil split pots, and 2 tones.

My mistake RasTus. I assumed he wanted to control the single coil option independantly from the humbucker option.

You are quite correct in your reply to the OP. Independant volume with coil split is possible with 2 volume/coil split pots, and 2 tones.

Exactly! now the question: "to split or not to split" [confused]

Sonny

Another consideration is which coil to cut. I always cut the back coil of the neck pu. But the bridge pu works for me either way, just different tones. The back bridge pu coil by itself is brighter, thinner sounding than the front coil. I almost always have to tame it with the tone control. In combination with the neck pu front coil, you can get sort of Tele tones. However, if both front coils are hot (cut the back coils), in combination, it makes for sort of Gretsch tones.

Use a tuning fork if you're not sure which coil is hot.

This thread is what these forums are all about. Guy asks a question, gets excellent advice, goes home happy.

Brilliant. [thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup]

Abso-posiutly!! Love the different opinions, experiences, and knowledge; and those that are willing to share. Thanks all for the great advice!

Now if I can figure out how to post pics [confused]

Archived