Gibson Brands Forums

Another great .Emmylou Harris

RowdyMoon

Thanks for that. I'm a big EmmyLou fan. I think that she and Bonnie Raitt are my two fav female singer/guitarists (well, okay there's Susan Tedeschi, and, oh nevermind lol). But let's not slight Don Williams either. His voice was just very "adaptable" to stuff like this. Thanks again.

Beautiful voice, that. Thanks for the post. I saw her with Hoyt Axton and Vassar Clements quite a few years ago. She and Vassar were the whole show.

edit to add the following:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQ4KvvIm7-c&feature=fvst

Thanks Cruz, two of my all time favorites, [thumbup] I've had a crush on Emmy and her voice since day 1 [blush] and Dan got me thru the years right after high school. [thumbup] hurt like hell when we lost him. [sad]

TC

Emmylou Harris and Don Williams are two of my favourite singers,thanks for posting.Even though I'm a Beatles/Hendrix Freak i do like moost other genres. Whoever said that Emmylou could blend well with any singer certainly hit the nail on the head.She was a perfect choice to team up with Dolly Parton and Linda Ronstadt for Trio,they actually sounded angelic.

BTW: Don Williams got his start singing with the Posso Seco Singers on their hit song Guantaramera-forgive spelling.If you listen close enough you can identify his voice as he takes the male lead vocals.

Yeah, good, good stuff. Can't say much about Emmylou that hasn't already been said. Ain't she sweet?......And Don Williams. One of the most easy-to-listen-to voices that I've ever heard. I've always enjoyed hearing him. "Good Ole Boys Like Me" is one of the best songs ever recorded. There's more than a "touch of the truth" in it..cool stuff.

Bonzo, I agree 10,000%. His version of Amanda is outstanding. Very real. I think my style and ability are a good match for what Williams usually sings...Tulsa Time is one of his faster songs and that's about as fast as I can play...lol....He truly is a super artist.

Emmylou by herself is phenomenal, over the years she has been joined by some great artist, Don Williams and Harris is like Scotch and Soda, just smooth, but some of her other pairings have been as memorable, Jerry Jeff Walker, Dave Bromberg, Gram Parsons, Albert Lee, Rodney Crowell, Johnny and Roseanne Cash, Ryan Adams, Orbison, The Band, Lyle Lovett, The Chieftains, Costello, Lucinda Williams and John Prine, Linda Ronstadt, Bob Dylan, Parton, Knopfler, Bonnie Raitt, Guy Clark, Neil Young, Ricky Skaggs, and my favorites Iris Dement and Warren Zevon. Did you know her father was a Marine that spent 10 months as a POW during the Korean War? Since 1999 she has organized annual benefit tours a Landmine Free World, all proceeds going to support Vietnam Veterans of America and to victims of landmines around the world.

Archived