Gibson Brands Forums

Adventures in parenting

RudyH

My son is playing in the church band now and I told him he should use my amp because it's lighter and more portable than his big Line 6. I figured he'd just take it for a couple of hours a week. Alas, no. He had it most of the day Sunday because the band had some lengthy rehearsal, then he says he needs it for 5 days for a religious retreat, and also a couple of nights a week for regular rehearsals.

My options seem to be:

1) Kill him. (I'm leaning toward this option)

2) Take his amp and keep it

3) Play without an amp.

I really should have reasoned this through before making the offer.

its obvious

you need 2 full stacks....................

how does that solve your problem? idk

but at least you will have one for each of you

nay... the kid would take them both to church...

I think you need to stick to his amp... that or option #1, if you can make it look like an accident and/or blame it on the church.

My son is playing in the church band now and I told him he should use my amp because it's lighter and more portable than his big Line 6. I figured he'd just take it for a couple of hours a week. Alas' date=' no. He had it most of the day Sunday because the band had some lengthy rehearsal, then he says he needs it for 5 days for a religious retreat, and also a couple of nights a week for regular rehearsals.

My options seem to be:

1) Kill him. (I'm leaning toward this option)

2) Take his amp and keep it

3) Play without an amp.

I really should have reasoned this through before making the offer.

[/quote']

I don't know you, Rudy, or how old your son is, so my own experiences my be of little value to you. Like a lot of Dads, I always felt it was my duty to help my Sons with their problems. But, after years of trying to do so, only to be handed my hat with the admonishment "you don't understand!" over and over, I decided it was time to change the dance. Next time my older Son came to me with some kinda problem, the likes of which young college freshmen might have with their girlfriend or something, I said "Wow! That really IS a problem! I'm sure glad it's not mine." Changed our lives, I tell ya. And the look on his face was priceless!! :)

Point is, you didn't list all your options. The one that isn't listed is for you to tell your son what your intentions were in the first place and tell him how much you'd appreciate getting your amp back now. It's not you that's playing in the church, if I understand correctly.

I can appreciate your wanting to help your son but I wonder if you haven't created a problem that wouldn't have existed had you left him to his own devices.

I say, tell him you'd like your amp back, and if he gives you any attitude, THEN kill 'im. :)

Ha! I appreciate that indeed. The fly in the ointment is that both amps are mine and our understanding is that I am letting him use the fancier Line 6. I let him use my better amp because he's more skilled. I don't want him damaging that amp or hauling it around.

In reality, I'm getting the Line 6 back and he is probably permanently using the Cube. It's not a dilemma at all for me. So, in effect, we've had a bit of the turnabout you described.

Archived