Gibson Brands Forums

Travelling guitar

g-sport

Guys, looking for a bit of constructive advice!

I am starting a new job in a few weeks in the good old US of A, which will require a bit of travel on the West Coast, planes, cars hotels etc.Anything in the GIbson line up of acoustics that would be suitable for travelling about with?I was thinking about a BLues king? Though not found one here in NL to try yet.

I did try a baby Taylormsp_unsure.gif

Blues King, Robert Johnson L-1, or Arlo Guthrie 3/4 will all get you to the smallest, and cheapest, production Gibsons. So for 1,300 used to 2,000 new you can go that way but that's still some bucks to put at risk. Many on this forum think that the standard Gibson cases will not hold up to the travel you described. So you might have to invest in a high priced travel case. Hard to do without your Gibson while traveling.

I've played a few options for travel guitars at GS last year.....

The Taylor GS Mini Rosewood at GS which sounded really nice. Far nicer than the small Taylor Mini's or Martin Travel guitars in my opinion....sounds like a full sized guitar!

gsmini.jpg

Well, visited local dealers yesterday. Luckily they had a good variety. Played a Guthrie , blues king, and 3 Taylor Gus minis maple, mahogany and rosewood .Blues king was nice , Guthrie not for me. But it's gonna be a travel brasher so not paying for another gib.The maple Taylor looked so nice, but the old lugs did not like the biting harsh tones.Not much between the hog and r'wood. But the rosewood just took it.So now I have a Taylor in the stable ready for its first flight next weekend. Set up feels great straight from factory and stays in tune very well so far and sounds pretty big for a little guitar almost like the martin om1 I have.

Well, visited local dealers yesterday. Luckily they had a good variety. Played a Guthrie , blues king, and 3 Taylor Gus minis maple, mahogany and rosewood .Blues king was nice , Guthrie not for me. But it's gonna be a travel brasher so not paying for another gib.The maple Taylor looked so nice, but the old lugs did not like the biting harsh tones.Not much between the hog and r'wood. But the rosewood just took it.So now I have a Taylor in the stable ready for its first flight next weekend. Set up feels great straight from factory and stays in tune very well so far and sounds pretty big for a little guitar almost like the martin om1 I have.

Have guitar... will travel. Perfect.

Archived