Gibson Brands Forums

Practice amps & PODs

noluck

Heres the situation- I am looking for ways to practice without bugging my neighbors. I currently live in an apartment building with a neighbor who thinks it's okay to play his music as loud as he wants at 2am, but that if I even touch my guitar/amp at 11am then he's off to complain. My amps are a 5 watt Vox Lil' Nightrain 5watt and a Crate 10watt solid state. Nothing big. Just enough. And never even up past 1/4 volume.

In an attempt to be reasonable, I am looking for some type of device that would allow me to practice and record in silence. The features I'd love are USB connectivity, Line In for MP3, effects such as Delay, Reverb, ect. I'd love something rackmount that I could take to gigs or something built like a tank. I'm also looking to get away from stale 80's sounding digital stuff like my old RP80.

I'm not sure which POD's from Line 6 to look at, but I am hearing the Vox Tonelab's are pretty good too.

Which ones are better? And what does everyone else use?

Don't know how good this would be for you, but have you tried anything like guitarig on your computer. find a sound you like, stick your 'phones on and widdle away in silence.

I've only used a demo version of this, but it might suit you.

Happy twanging.

I can't say enough about the line 6 pod studio (previously called toneport).The hardware is usb connected and together with the modeling software you can have a very nice little studio with a lot of possibilities.I had the toneport for about six years and it died after some heavy use,which left me in a sad state for over a year.My situation became similar to yours and it sucked bad.I just recently could afford to buy another,but I figured after seven years there would be even better stuff out there.After trying a couple of others out I got another pod studio.Line6 changed the name,but other than new software it's the same as it was seven years ago and I use it with the same old software I used then.

It works great for me on my desktop and laptop,but yours is different so look into that aspect also.Read up on the different ways that work for what your needs & budget are.Good luck...............You know,from what you said your neighbor sounds like he just might need a good tune-up :angry: That could be a option that is easier in the end,given the situation of course eusa_whistle.gif

We had one dude at our chuch try to go "ampless" and use an Ipad app for tones. It sounded like ICrap. That's the G rated answer.

The sound made me want to claw my face off.

I wouldn't use it for live sound, but for jamming quietly at home, it works like a charm.

have you checked out the POD HDs? I have one of the original (Red Bean) Pods that I got maybe 10+ years ago, and I still use in a pinch.

I'm working on one project where we are using amp modelers and that old Pod still works for me (and sounds fine), but with out a foot switch it's a pain to change patches, and some of the FX patches are limiting. Plus, the original Pod (like I have) the patch changes are not smooth, which would only really matter for live applications I guess mostly.

The Pod HD Floor and table top units may have improved the patch switching and offer better combinations in the FX (like, adding reverb + delay + Compression simultaneously which my old Pod does not offer)

and yea.. that Yamaha previously mentioned, seems to be quite the innovation..

Thanks for all your responces and opinions. I like hearing other peoples ideas and opinions on guitar gear,so please keep them comeing. I've been reading and checking up on a lot of these ideas and they are all great. I don't have an Ipod. The only issue with guitar rig is my sound card is awful with it's Line In feature and the other route with Kontrol gets expensive fast. For $$ I want versitility.

I'm looking at a few pods, my local music store has got a used selection and can get their hands on almost anything I could want. Usually they don't get much Line6 stuff, mostly digitech which I am going to give a chance real soon. They threw out the POD X3 rackmount, and the Digitech GSP1101 as suggestions. I am also considering the POD Studio. That might get a nod just because it's sorta cheap.

That THR10 looks pretty cool actually.

I have a Line 6 pocket pod, works OK. Pros are that its small, inexpensive, has a line in, and has a decent number of pre-sets. Cons are that it sounds a bit sterile, has layers of menus, configurability is somewhat limited, and tuner on it is a joke. so if your looking for something cheap to just jam with through headphones its OK.

I also have a Digitech RP255 which I use more than the Pod. I like the sound of that one better, has more effects (like a wah) and its a bit more configurable. It also includes actual knobs and a drum "machine" (don't get too excited, its just some pre-defined patterns to rock out with and the ability to change timing). Also comes with a line-in, software (haven't tried it though) and 20 second looper. Cons on that one are, again the tuner, it could be more solidly built, and as a digital effect it still wont have that warmth you get from an actual amp. But again, not too expensive and works OK for headphone jamming during quiet time.

Heres the situation- I am looking for ways to practice without bugging my neighbors. I currently live in an apartment building with a neighbor who thinks it's okay to play his music as loud as he wants at 2am, but that if I even touch my guitar/amp at 11am then he's off to complain. My amps are a 5 watt Vox Lil' Nightrain 5watt and a Crate 10watt solid state. Nothing big. Just enough. And never even up past 1/4 volume.

In an attempt to be reasonable, I am looking for some type of device that would allow me to practice and record in silence. The features I'd love are USB connectivity, Line In for MP3, effects such as Delay, Reverb, ect. I'd love something rackmount that I could take to gigs or something built like a tank. I'm also looking to get away from stale 80's sounding digital stuff like my old RP80.

I'm not sure which POD's from Line 6 to look at, but I am hearing the Vox Tonelab's are pretty good too.

Which ones are better? And what does everyone else use?

If you're looking at the Line 6 Pods, I would recommend one of the newer HD units. The modeling is a leap ahead of the previous Pods. Since you wish to rackmount it, The HD Pro is the way to go.

Last year I bought a used HD desktop "bean" from Craigslist and I'm very impressed by how much better it sounds over my XT Live. All the ins & outs I need are built in for recording to my computer. This year I invested in a footswitch board for more versatility. I jam regularly with a fairly large group that includes keyboard, bass a few singers and lately, two drummers! I have used the rig pictured below with good results. The guys said it sounded great. The HD is mounted (removable) on top of a 50 watt powered monitor and has enough power to be heard clearly in the mix. When I'm not using it for live jams, it's parked on my computer desk.

post-2206-019744300 1335820579_thumb.jpg

One other option that is considerably more expensive, but fantastic tone wise, is AxeFX. Learning curve is huge, but the tone is the best out there so far that I've heard of...

POD HD's are fantastic for the price, and are starting to pop up on stages with guys that are comfortable with digital rigs. Don't figure that rack mount is the only option for gig worthy gear. I know that Lincoln Brewster (played with Steve Perry many years ago) uses one on stage and actually switched from Axe to POD HD, but not due to tone.

Archived