Gibson Brands Forums

Best Live Hard Rock Album?

kaleb

Of those..

I'd put Humble Pie's Performance: Rockin' the Fillmore ahead of the Frampton record too, but that's prolly just me (as record sales would no doubt support).

I too really love rockin the fillmore the whole of it the recording,the vocals,the guitar parts, to me its all the cream of the crop! [love] thats not to say the others are not great its just a Marriott thing for me! he'sorely missed! [sad]

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Live at Leeds set the standard for live albums. Everything else comes in second. Sorry, that's just how it is. Like trying to refute that Jupiter is the largest planet in our solar system. It just is.

I voted Kiss Alive and I also own All the world's a stage from the available choices.

Agree on Rhandy Rhoads Tribute and Let there be rock above.

I also very much like:

Whitesnake- Live in the Heart of the City

Black Sabbath- Live Evil

MSG- One Night at the Budokan

Saxon- The Eagle has Landed

Dio- Holy Diver [biggrin] (well it's so raw and unproduced it sounds live)

Live at Leeds set the standard for live albums. Everything else comes in second. Sorry, that's just how it is. Like trying to refute that Jupiter is the largest planet in our solar system. It just is.

While I do not disagree with you that Live At Leeds is great, I will say that your analogy is terrible. Jupiter being the largest planet in the solar system is a fact, your opinion is not.

If you want true honesty, I can't stand Rush and KISS is just okay. Never really cared for them. However, when it comes to Rush, most of their songs would be alright if the singer didn't open his mouth. I can't stand his voice.

Each to his own I guess.

Have you ever heard the Rush tune "Working Man"? It may change your mind, as it sounds very Zeppelinesqe (it took Rush a few albums to really find their sound. And the first album, which contains Working Man, is very different from the rest as Neil Peart wasn't in the band yet). But it probably won't considering you don't like Geddy's voice. I love Alex's early tone, but that's just my opinion.

And I understand that KISS and Rush are two totally different bands with two totally different styles of music. I think that KISS is more like Aerosmith than Rush, honestly. But they're opposite yet the same, as they had to work hard and put out a few records before hitting the big time, they were trying to do something different and reinvent things (KISS brought some life to the stage but they did it as a BAND not as an artist like Alice Cooper. They were tired of bands that just stood there. Rush, on the other hand, merged Zeppelin style heavy rock with progressive, Yes/Genesis style music. They were tired of playing and hearing simple pattern songs.), they are both left out of a lot of things that they deserve, and both have very loyal fan bases (just like Iron Maiden and most other fans of metal....). There's Rushians (like a couple on this forum...) and there is KISSheads. KISS fascinates, Rush amazes, and both blow you away. That's how it is for us.

This might be hard for some to understand but one man's KISS is like another man's Zeppelin or Grand Funk.

While I do not disagree with you that Live At Leeds is great, I will say that your analogy is terrible. Jupiter being the largest planet in the solar system is a fact, your opinion is not.

It actually is fact that Live at Leeds set the standard. Sorry you cannot accept that. ;)

It actually is fact that Live at Leeds set the standard. Sorry you cannot accept that. ;)

Live At Leeds, Alive!, Unleashed In The East all set standards, but The Who has the advantage of being the first and highest!

I actually think that KISS owes a little to The Who!

I'm sure Ace would agree, given he grew up as a Townshend fan, but I don't know about the others....

I still think Unleashed In The East was the first Metal live album. All the others at that time were hard rock, even Made In Japan and Live And Dangerous.

But The Who set THE standard!

I still think Unleashed In The East was the first Metal live album.

Hmmmm, you might have to take that up with the Scorpions who released "Tokyo Tapes" a year before that.

I don't understand how you could leave The Song Remains The Same and Made In Japan out of the poll. Rush's All The Worlds A Stage blows Exit Stage Left off the map. Peter Frampton? No Hendrix In The West? Strange poll.....

I totally agree that All the World's a Stage is better than Exit

Maybe I should have titled the thread, "Best Live Commercial Hard Rock Album".

In all earnest, I think "Double Live Gonzo" sucks. I just added it to see what others think of it.

Alive! and Live At Leeds would still be on the list though.

Live At Leeds set THE standard for live records, but I still think KISS brought it up to a new level. They were a true live act. And every time I listen to it, everything from the opening lines in Deuce, to Ace's solo in She, Peter's solo in 100,000 Years, and their ultimate grand finale of Let Me Go, Rock n' Roll, not to mention the great performances of songs like Got To Choose, C'mon And Love Me, Parasite, Rock Bottom, and Cold Gin still give me the shivers. I see why a lot of people don't like KISS; they can't take them seriously. Neither can I, but you're not supposed to anyways. You take Eric Johnson seriously. That's not what rock is about IMHO. With KISS, you either love em' or hate em'. There is no in-between.

Of the above choices The Who wins by a mile. However, in my opinion the best live album is Led Zeppelin's The Song Remains The Same. The album and the movie that goes with it.

I have to respectfully disagree, and Led Zep is my favorite all time band. Jimmy page was the reason I started playing guitar. Their versatility and individual talents were special BUT there is no way in hell that they are a great live act. They rarely come close to their studio sound, thanks in part to Page's amazing studio genius, and lack of back up guitars on stage. He often plays sloppy, missing notes. Plant's voice isn't close to vinyl.

As for the movie, I found it to be sometimes monotonous, choppy, and at times boring, the special effects lame. I'd rate it a 5 on a scale of 10. I don't like when they start a song that doesn't sound close to studio, then go into some free-for-all transitions, then return to the song that was barely recognizable to begin with. I think they destroyed Stairway to Heaven. Page's solo was an insult to the original solo in my opinion. And, yes, I understand the concept of improvising, but, give me a break.

As for the Who being the greatest live album of those listed in the poll. How can that be possible when the brunt of their best music hadn't even been released yet? Quadrophenia, and Who's Next is the Who at their best. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate some earlier Who. I'm Free, Listening to you, I Can See For Miles are classics. I dont care for Happy Jack, Magic Bus, My Generation, so maybe that's why I don't get the hype of Live at Leeds.

I have to respectfully disagree, and Led Zep is my favorite all time band. Jimmy page was the reason I started playing guitar. Their versatility and individual talents were special BUT there is no way in hell that they are a great live act. They rarely come close to their studio sound, thanks in part to Page's amazing studio genius, and lack of back up guitars on stage. He often plays sloppy, missing notes, etc. Plant's voice isn't close to vinyl. As for the movie, I found it to be sometimes monotonous, choppy, and at times boring. The special effects lame. I'd rate it a 5 on a scale of 10. I don't like when they start a song that doesn't even sound close to studio, then go into some free for all transitions, then return to the song that was barely recognizable to begin with. I think they destroyed Stairway to Heaven. Page's solo was an insult to the original solo in my opinion. And, yes, I understand the concept of improvising, but, give me a break.

As for the Who being the greatest live album of those listed in the poll. How can that be possible when the brunt of their best music hadn't even been released yet? Quadrophenia, and Who's Next is the Who at their best. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate some earlier Who. I'm Free, Listening to you, I Can See For Miles are classics. I dont care for Happy Jack, Magic Bus, My Generation, so maybe that's why I don't get the hype of Live at Leeds.

THANK YOU!!!! Yes, Zeppelin wasn't very good live (kinda like Soundgarden isn't now), except for the pre-Zeppelin III days. The Royal Albert Hall show in 1970 should have been an album IMHO!

I can't say I agree with your Who opinions, but I believe that Alive! was KISS at their best (not Destroyer or Love Gun, etc). Even if some things were added, enhanced, and touched up in the studio it's still a great record.

I think Zeppelin needed Eddie Kramer to help them out with that......

THANK YOU!!!! Yes, Zeppelin wasn't very good live (kinda like Soundgarden isn't now), except for the pre-Zeppelin III days. The Royal Albert Hall show in 1970 should have been an album IMHO!

I can't say I agree with your Who opinions, but I believe that Alive! was KISS at their best (not Destroyer or Love Gun, etc). Even if some things were added, enhanced, and touched up in the studio it's still a great record.

I think Zeppelin needed Eddie Kramer to help them out with that......

Zeppelin should have tried to better duplicate their studio sound, when playing live, and not stray into bizarre improvisation so often. They are still the most versatile studio band of all time. When you can have completely contrasting songs like, Battle Of Evermore and When The Levee Breaks on the same album, that is pretty damn special, and unique.

n.

And I understand that KISS and Rush are two totally different bands with two totally different styles of music. I think that KISS is more like Aerosmith than Rush, honestly.

Umm...no.

Aoresmith is still in the wrong direction from KISS. Aerosmith and RUSH have way more in common to each other than they do to KISS.

Think more like TWISTED SISTER.

Umm...no.

Aoresmith is still in the wrong direction from KISS. Aerosmith and RUSH have way more in common to each other than they do to KISS.

Think more like TWISTED SISTER.

Aerosmith is more like The Stones and Zeppelin than KISS or Rush.....

Twisted Sister has nothing on KISS, especially early KISS IMHO.

I have to respectfully disagree, and Led Zep is my favorite all time band. Jimmy page was the reason I started playing guitar. Their versatility and individual talents were special BUT there is no way in hell that they are a great live act. They rarely come close to their studio sound, thanks in part to Page's amazing studio genius, and lack of back up guitars on stage. He often plays sloppy, missing notes. Plant's voice isn't close to vinyl.

As for the movie, I found it to be sometimes monotonous, choppy, and at times boring, the special effects lame. I'd rate it a 5 on a scale of 10. I don't like when they start a song that doesn't even sound close to studio, then go into some free for all transitions, then return to the song that was barely recognizable to begin with. I think they destroyed Stairway to Heaven. Page's solo was an insult to the original solo in my opinion. And, yes, I understand the concept of improvising, but, give me a break.

If you can't see the beauty in the energy of live Zeppelin, you can't consider yourself a true Zep fan. yeah, I know TSRTS never actually happened, but I have a big enough collection of bootlegs to get a real good idea of what Zeppelin was like live. I could listen to Page jam til the cows came home, no matter what shape he was in. HE"S THE GREATEST ROCK GUITARIST OF ALL TIME!!

....meanwhile, I've heard that Kiss Alive was totally recorded in a studio

B.B. King, Live at the Regal.

James Brown, Live at the Apollo.

Johnny Cash At Folsom Prison.

Cannonball Adderley, Mercy! Mercy! Mercy!

Edith Piaf, Live at the Paris Olympia.

All well before 1969/1970. All while Pluto was still a member of the Solar System.

B.B. King, Live at the Regal.

James Brown, Live at the Apollo.

Johnny Cash At Folsom Prison.

Cannonball Adderley, Mercy! Mercy! Mercy!

Edith Piaf, Live at the Paris Olympia.

All well before 1969/1970. All while Pluto was still a member of the Solar System.

Hard Rock?

Archived