Gibson Brands Forums

Best Live Hard Rock Album?

kaleb

This idea popped into my head and I thought I would share it with you.

Of course, Alive! won for me because, as you may know, I love early KISS and two of the other records I listed (Double Live Gonzo and of course Frampton Comes Alive!), among many others that I didn't list, probably wouldn't have been made if Alive! hadn't. That kick started the reign of live records (which seems to be missing now). Although I think Live At Leeds should have been "the one", considering it was the first live rock record and the fact that I think The Who were the first hard rock band, with the exception of maybe The Kinks and The Yardbirds. Exit....Stage Left was a close second for me because I love Rush and the best versions of YYZ and La Villa Strangiato were on that album. It deserves much more credit than it gets.

George Harrison's Concert For Bangladesh, Motorhead's No Sleep Till' Hammersmith, and Cheap Trick's Live At Budokan were in my mind as well, but I don't consider Bangladesh an album I would "rock" to (even though I love it!), No Sleep Till' Hammersmith is more of a metal album, and I'm not much of a Cheap Trick fan and I felt that Exit...Stage Left needed some attention!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of those...

Live at Leeds - especially now that it has been expanded to include more tracks. [thumbup] I'd give KISS Alive 2nd place on your list, although if the Rush album were All the World's a Stage instead of Exit Stage Left they might give KISS a run for their money.

I'd put Humble Pie's Performance: Rockin' the Fillmore ahead of the Frampton record too, but that's prolly just me (as record sales would no doubt support).

Others that I might have included would be Deep Purple's Made in Japan and Thin Lizzy's Live and Dangerous. Those kick some a$$!

Of those...

Live at Leeds - especially now that it has been expanded to include more tracks. [thumbup] I'd give KISS Alive 2nd place on your list, although if the Rush album were All the World's a Stage instead of Exit Stage Left they might give KISS a run for their money.

I'd put Humble Pie's Performance: Rockin' the Fillmore ahead of the Frampton record too, but that's prolly just me (as record sales would no doubt support).

Others that I might have included would be Deep Purple's Made in Japan and Thin Lizzy's Live and Dangerous. Those kick some a$!

I wanted to keep the list down to five and those albums I mentioned were the first to come to my head.

I'll make a PART 2 someday!

And I was thinking about using All The World's A Stage instead of Exit Stage Left, but like I said, the best versions of YYZ and La Villa Strangiato are on that record IMHO, and I really like the Bytor/In The Mood/2112 Grand Finale at the end.

Depending on how hard your "Hard Rock" needs to be, I'd definitely say The Allman Brothers' At the Fillmore East is my all time favorite. I'd also toss in Rory Gallagher's Irish Tour, and The Rolling Stones Get Yer Ya Yas Out too. Neil Young had a coupla good ones also... Rust Never Sleeps and Live Rust

Depending on how hard your "Hard Rock" needs to be, I'd definitely say The Allman Brothers' At the Fillmore East is my all time favorite. I'd also toss in Rory Gallagher's Irish Tour, and The Rolling Stones Get Yer Ya Yas Out too. Neil Young had a coupla good ones also... Rust Never Sleeps and Live Rust

The Allman's were definitely a tight act! Whipping Post performed live one of my all time faves.

Out of the ones in the poll, I said KISS Alive. Mainly just for personal nostalgia reasons.

Some other notables not listed....Judas Priest - Unleashed In The East, Cheap Trick - Live at Buddakan, and another of my personal faves Blue Oyster Cult - Extraterrestrial Live

Of the above choices The Who wins by a mile. However, in my opinion the best live album is Led Zeppelin's The Song Remains The Same. The album and the movie that goes with it.

I've always wanted to ask you this, but what do you think of KISS and Rush anyways?

Not sayin' you have to like them (I respect everyone's opinion) but I like to hear people's opinions about these two bands not only because they're two of my favorites (and Ace and Alex make up the trifecta of guitar players whose style influenced mine the most. EVH is number three. The other important ones that are left out of it are Jimmy Page, Michael Bloomfield, Alvin Lee, Kim Simmonds of Savoy Brown, Paul Gilbert, Satch, Eric Johnson, and of course Hendrix), and they don't strike up in general guitar conversation as say Zeppelin, Hendrix, VH, The Beatles, G&R, ZZ Top, SRV, etc do. Ace and, especially Alex, are both very underrated IMHO.

Given your tastes in music and bands I highly recommend you listening to the first Rush album. And if you like that (not saying you will. It's up to you bud!), then try Fly By Night, Caress Of Steel (particularly The Necromancer. Some parts of it are very Hendrix/Trower ish, which seems right up your alley), and 2112. And if you like that, go from there. It's better for a guy that likes Zeppelin and Grand Funk and stuff like that to start with the early Rush and then build up from there, rather than starting with Moving Pictures or something. I say that because the first Rush song I heard was Tom Sawyer and it confused the hell out of me, as I was listening to mostly Zeppelin, KISS, and AC/DC at the time. The song Working Man changed my bass player's life, and he never used to like Rush at all (he once told me they sounded mechanical). To this day, Zeppelin's Good Times Bad Times is his favorite song of all time (and it's easily my favorite Zeppelin song. And Zeppelin I is my favorite Zeppelin album by far. I can only imagine what it was like when that first came out). So I thought that could relate to you. Also, Jimmy Page once said that Rush was one of the few bands in the 70s that he was exited about. Called them "fresh, groundbreaking new sound", which is what Zeppelin was back in 69'. That's a nice complement if you ask me.

And speaking of Zeppelin, do you agree with me that Good Times Bad Times is one of the best album openers of all time?!?!?!?! Cause I think it's the best!

I've always wanted to ask you this, but what do you think of KISS and Rush anyways?

I thought you'd NEVER ask! But, sinse you asked for it...

KISS and RUSH are not in the same league. Totally different music, different mindsets, musicianship. It's like comparing Mr. Rogers and Walter Cronkite. It's like a Muppet Movie or Star Wars. McDonald's or Bar-B-Que.

One uses Make-up and a blow dryer, and is still ugly, and one can get great sound from a cloths dryer.

Not sayin' you have to like them (I respect everyone's opinion) but I like to hear people's opinions about these two bands not only because they're two of my favorites (and Ace and Alex make up the trifecta of guitar players whose style influenced mine the most. EVH is number three. The other important ones that are left out of it are Jimmy Page, Michael Bloomfield, Alvin Lee, Kim Simmonds of Savoy Brown, Paul Gilbert, Satch, Eric Johnson, and of course Hendrix), and they don't strike up in general guitar conversation as say Zeppelin, Hendrix, VH, The Beatles, G&R, ZZ Top, SRV, etc do. Ace and, especially Alex, are both very underrated IMHO.

Given your tastes in music and bands I highly recommend you listening to the first Rush album. And if you like that (not saying you will. It's up to you bud!), then try Fly By Night, Caress Of Steel (particularly The Necromancer. Some parts of it are very Hendrix/Trower ish, which seems right up your alley), and 2112. And if you like that, go from there. It's better for a guy that likes Zeppelin and Grand Funk and stuff like that to start with the early Rush and then build up from there, rather than starting with Moving Pictures or something. I say that because the first Rush song I heard was Tom Sawyer and it confused the hell out of me, as I was listening to mostly Zeppelin, KISS, and AC/DC at the time. The song Working Man changed my bass player's life, and he never used to like Rush at all (he once told me they sounded mechanical). To this day, Zeppelin's Good Times Bad Times is his favorite song of all time (and it's easily my favorite Zeppelin song. And Zeppelin I is my favorite Zeppelin album by far. I can only imagine what it was like when that first came out). So I thought that could relate to you. Also, Jimmy Page once said that Rush was one of the few bands in the 70s that he was exited about. Called them "fresh, groundbreaking new sound", which is what Zeppelin was back in 69'. That's a nice complement if you ask me.

And speaking of Zeppelin, do you agree with me that Good Times Bad Times is one of the best album openers of all time?!?!?!?! Cause I think it's the best!

If you want true honesty, I can't stand Rush and KISS is just okay. Never really cared for them. However, when it comes to Rush, most of their songs would be alright if the singer didn't open his mouth. I can't stand his voice.

The Who's Live At Leeds was the seminal hard rock live album and it paved the way for other live hard rock albums and as far as I'm concerned is the best of those listed.One of the first live concert albums was hard rock for its time and that was The Rolling Stones "Got Live If You Want It" it was real cutting edge raw rock and roll.I forget exactly what songs are on it and it's too late and I'm too tired to go down to the music room to check it out.I imagine that it wouldn't be too much of a stretch for Jimi's Band Of Gypsys to be classed as a "hard rock" album with songs like Message of Love,Power Of Soul and Who Knows? So there were several hard rock live recordings before most of those mentioned.

Of those listed I'd say 'Live At Leeds' by a country mile. IMO none of the rest are even in the same league.

Actually, I'd take "Irish Tour '74", "Live And Dangerous" and several more (many of which have already been mentioned) before any of those on the list, but I know trying to keep everyone happy with a poll selection is impossible.

P.

I don't understand how you could leave The Song Remains The Same and Made In Japan out of the poll. Rush's All The Worlds A Stage blows Exit Stage Left off the map. Peter Frampton? No Hendrix In The West? Strange poll.....

Archived