Gibson Brands Forums

1938 Gibson Sj 200 "Golden Era"

JuanCarlosVejar

Not sure if they are or not but if they are not building this guitar with the shallower body depth and second wide angle X brace above the soundhole then it seems you would just be getting an extremely nice version of a regular production rosewood body SJ-200 with I guess solid bone pins. But there would not be a whole lot of "1938" about it.

.... 5800 is what Fuller's told me they were gonna go for so I got a lefty for myself ... It hasn't arrived yet. ....

Congrats JC.

Hide glue and adi top are not part of the regular production (Standard) body, but if you find out more details, like those Zomby mentioned about the bracing, let us know.

• 5 weeks later...

I did not notice this before..but that guitar looks like Gibson is putting an effort to make they're very best.

Beautifull.I don't think that there will be more than a couple leftys out of the lot. I think you are getting a primo thing here.

My brother is a lefty and vaguely I remember that usually there was an upcharge of 10-15 % over a righty..was this the case here?

Thanks

I did not notice this before..but that guitar looks like Gibson is putting an effort to make they're very best.

Beautifull.I don't think that there will be more than a couple leftys out of the lot. I think you are getting a primo thing here.

My brother is a lefty and vaguely I remember that usually there was an upcharge of 10-15 % over a righty..was this the case here?

Thanks

Best effort? 6000 plus.. they should be.. that same guitar in the Cenntenial line up was 4000.00 .. and with seperate saddles and more period correct Guard and Binding....

why a letter of Authenticity? No special woods being used.. ( Im just not Getting all this catch a customer thing.).

Congrats on the guitar JC, it's a beauty. I wouldn't call that rosewood figured but flat sawn. Awesome, none the less.

57C,

check the one at Dave's out : http://davesguitar.com/products/gibson-montana/75th-anniversary-1930s-sj-200/

I think that one is figured more than the one's that Rainbow Guitars got .

I guess maybe they sent the "more figured" ones to the most respected dealers and from what I know Dave's Guitars is an Ace for gibson acoustics.

JC

57C,

check the one at Dave's out : http://davesguitar.com/products/gibson-montana/75th-anniversary-1930s-sj-200/

I guess maybe they sent the "more figured" ones to the most respected dealers and from what I know Dave's Guitars is an Ace for gibson acoustics.

JC

Now THAT is figured.

About 10 years ago Gibson pulled the dealership from Daves Guitar Shop for some bul*it reason dispite them having long been as good a dealer as can be.

Daves probably asked for rosewood with character.

Best effort? 6000 plus.. they should be.. that same guitar in the Cenntenial line up was 4000.00 .. and with seperate saddles and more period correct Guard and Binding....

why a letter of Authenticity? No special woods being used.. ( Im just not Getting all this catch a customer thing.).

People are too used to seeing production line J200's selling used for $2k.

Overall the guitar is very ornate, and from its beginings was ment to be a decked out expensive guitar...not the production line mass produced version we see today (though still pretty nice)

If they are spending some time on traditional luthery on these things..and getting them voiced to sound they're best with some hand work..(come on Gibson God damn it)..its what a good handmade guitar should cost.

Anyway I think they can be had for $5800 which is what Juan is getting it for and that is a lefty..if cash is in hand probably less.

Not that I can buy one these days..(anyone want to buy a pair of carved mah Chairs..an unused Studer Revox Professional Reel to Reel Recorder..mmm...still a couple of thousand short.. : )

57C,

JC

Beautiful JC. Looks like that stuff they were calling "mystic"

Thanks

No upcharge for lefty guitars. There will be no lefty guitars built unless someone orders them. Just so you know there will be very little chance that they will build all 25 guitars. Very seldom do they sell out a run like this.

As to the figure in the wood? The guitar at Rainbow has a very good, partially quarter sawn back. The guitar at Daves is flat sawn and very attractive but not the ideal cut for an instrument of this caliber. The case is cool as hell but has no basis in Gibson history. Curious to say the least.

No upcharge for lefty guitars. There will be no lefty guitars built unless someone orders them. Just so you know there will be very little chance that they will build all 25 guitars. Very seldom do they sell out a run like this.

As to the figure in the wood? The guitar at Rainbow has a very good, partially quarter sawn back. The guitar at Daves is flat sawn and very attractive but not the ideal cut for an instrument of this caliber. The case is cool as hell but has no basis in Gibson history. Curious to say the least.

HE ,

Gibson is going to build 75 not 25 .

you are right Gibson rarely produces limited edition lefty's (at least the acoustics)

I don't think there will be more than 2 or 3 lefty guitars for these SJ 200's .

Fuller's told me they did not order any 50th ann . Doves because they were overpriced ... Jeremy said they had been offering a guitar built to the same specs for alot less money . I don't know if they have ordered any Golden Age SJ 200's in the normal righty version . but they said that the back and sides were a high grade of Indian Rosewood .

JC

When a log is flat sawn across the center of the log, the outsides of the log are quarter sawn, ie, grain is perpendicular to the width of the board. The guitar at Dave's, with the figure, looks to have been taken from a crotch (parts on lower bout flairing off at an angle). The rest of the back would have grain running perpendicular to the width of the board, as would be found in a quarter sawn board. Other than the figure (curl) in the second guitar, they are basically sawn the same. What makes the second any less suited for an instrument of this caliber than the first?

Archived