Gibson Brands Forums

Rainsong guitars...anybody played one of these?

Jinder

I stumbled across their website whilst looking for Zep chords.

All-Graphite guitars with no bracing or truss rod, one-piece back and sides assembly and bolt-on neck?

They can't sound as good as all the fawning reviews would suggest...can they?

I've played both a six and twelve string and in my opinion they have a thin and kind of lifeless tone. I didn't plug it into an amp but from what I've heard, like the ovations you can play these through a regular electric guitar amp. That may be an advantage to some.

Never played one, but I was at an open mic one night and got to hear one. Looked real nice, and the girl went thru a Fender Acoustasonic with it, but it did not accompany her voice well at all. Sounded anemic and somewhat tinny. She was a great singer and the Rainsong did not have the tone or presence she needed behind her. I was not impressed.

Definitely would not make it to my GAS list...

Not to be the naysayer but.......I use my Rainsong WS-1000 fopr most of the winter months. I continuously get comments on the sound of the guitar. Very bell like but also possesses a strong base. I use Dean Markley Gold Bronze (Med), I could not be more pleased.

• 1 year later...

Hey Everyone!

I am a Rain Song artist, my name is Erin Bennett.

I understand how some may not get on well with RainSong's designs or in some cases their 'lack of presence'

I suppose this just comes down to individual tastes. If you're a singer/songwriter you need a guitar that will complement your style and in some cases the rain song can be too loud or not loud enough depending upon your playing style.

But I have played both of my Rain Songs live all over the world. My first is a Rain Song A-WS1000 6 string.

This model has now been discontinued, but it really has an unbelievable durability and sound that really cannot be beaten.

Although I have modified it by disconnecting the Fishman Preamp and installing a Dean Markley ProMag Plus. This really highlights all the best features of the guitar.

I did this with my WS3000 12 string as well and it works like a charm.

I play both of these guitars through a Hartke AC150 Acoustic Ribbon Amplifier and in my opinion the guitar and amp go hand in hand!It's also worth saying that Rain Songs are sold equipped with Elixir PolyWeb Light Gauge strings and this is a big key to the tonal quality of the guitar.

One of the best things RainSong has going for them is the fact that no matter what climate, temperature, etc you play in your guitar's performance will never be altered and I know for touring musicians the need to have a reliable instrument is huge! Another great attribute to RainSongs are the fact that unlike most wooden guitars, their N2 necks are impervious to ware and warp over long time play as most classical and 12 string players can experience.

I apologize if any of this sounds preachy, but I've tried what seems like hundreds of guitars, (my first love was a Gibson Epiphone PR5e of all things...cheap, but effective) and it took some time to really get used to Rain Song and the fact that 1. it wasn't wood 2. it felt different than I was used to and 3. it sounded different than I was used to.

But after years on the road the benefits of these instruments really start to get under your skin and if you're a touring musician it really is worth the investment!

Happy Playing to all!!

Erin Bennett

Welcome erinbennett.

I've checked out a few alternatives, including Rain Song. My fancy leans toward HPL - to me they sound more even across lows, middles and highs and not quite as thin as the Rain Song carbon models. But, for me, neither sounds near as good as all wood.

Hey Everyone!

I am a Rain Song artist' date=' my name is Erin Bennett.

I understand how some may not get on well with RainSong's designs or in some cases their 'lack of presence'

I suppose this just comes down to individual tastes. If you're a singer/songwriter you need a guitar that will complement your style and in some cases the rain song can be too loud or not loud enough depending upon your playing style.

But I have played both of my Rain Songs live all over the world. My first is a Rain Song A-WS1000 6 string.

This model has now been discontinued, but it really has an unbelievable durability and sound that really cannot be beaten.

Although I have modified it by disconnecting the Fishman Preamp and installing a Dean Markley ProMag Plus. This really highlights all the best features of the guitar.

I did this with my WS3000 12 string as well and it works like a charm.

I play both of these guitars through a Hartke AC150 Acoustic Ribbon Amplifier and in my opinion the guitar and amp go hand in hand!It's also worth saying that Rain Songs are sold equipped with Elixir PolyWeb Light Gauge strings and this is a big key to the tonal quality of the guitar.

One of the best things RainSong has going for them is the fact that no matter what climate, temperature, etc you play in your guitar's performance will never be altered and I know for touring musicians the need to have a reliable instrument is huge! Another great attribute to RainSongs are the fact that unlike most wooden guitars, their N2 necks are impervious to ware and warp over long time play as most classical and 12 string players can experience.

I apologize if any of this sounds preachy, but I've tried what seems like hundreds of guitars, (my first love was a Gibson Epiphone PR5e of all things...cheap, but effective) and it took some time to really get used to Rain Song and the fact that 1. it wasn't wood 2. it felt different than I was used to and 3. it sounded different than I was used to.

But after years on the road the benefits of these instruments really start to get under your skin and if you're a touring musician it really is worth the investment!

Happy Playing to all!!

Erin Bennett

[/quote']

Great info. This thread is from 2008, BTW.

I've got to agree with everyone. Wood is good. But graphite does remove the uncertainty and fear. I've tried graphites and found the sound excellent.

Love your avatar...do you rent him out for parties?

Reckon it comes down to how much "uncertainty and fear" one has --- bluegrassers tour around and camp at festivals with pre-WWII Martins that hold up fine...

Olde Timey types do the same with Gibsons...

There's something cool (to me) about each tree and ultimately each wood guitar being different, having it's own vibe...

And of course we really don't know how well Graphite tops and necks will hold up over 50 years, all we have is manufacturers claims...

But if anyone favors the Rainsong sound over wood that's fine with me, glad we have choices...

I've got to agree with everyone. Wood is good. But graphite does remove the uncertainty and fear. I've tried graphites and found the sound excellent.

I really didn't think I would like a non-wood guitar until I played a Rainsong. It will be my next guitar purchase, and I will not miss the babying required for a Gibson.

Archived