Gibson Brands Forums

How Long To Keep a 71 SG?

Steve B

I am a bit confused because what I thought was true is that 'vintage' guitars had lost a lot of value in the past couple years.

I am not an authority to say what is accurate or what isn't, but I doubt the idea that 70's guitars are going to increase in value soon is based on any real information. I don't see where that projection would come from.

IF they are selling for between 4 and 5 grand at the current time, then NOW is the time to sell if you are seriously thinking of 'investment' potential. I would be inclined to think the price was going to drop rather than increase.

But truly, seriously, get real info and do your own research.

What I am basing my "guess" on is that as MOST "investment" guitars have taken a hit in value, it comes back to those models that are actually iconic and the best of the best. And by that I mean models that the most desireable reissues might be based on, or the years that were known for the best quality. This is where the distinction between "vintage" and "old" is in guitar collecting. It isn't an age thing, it has to do with when it was built and WHY the 60's and earlier guitars were more desirable than 70's ones.

Hello, Fellow Babies,

I have to agree with Rocky4, Steve B, if you sell it, you will be sorry. You've got a really good guitar there.

That said, let's talk about this for a moment. I've got an old SG that I bought used somewhere in the vicinity of 1972 give or take. It was slightly beaten up, and I'm pretty sure I paid about $200 for it. I added a Bigsby whammy bar and repainted -- hey, I like it. Never bothered to check the serial number, but I'm sure it was built in the sixties 'cause the neck was glued in place. It had pearloid (#PMMH-010) machine heads, and black plastic, pickup covers with a single line of adjustable screws. It had seen a hard few years. It wasn't top of the line (the neck has dot markers), but it has a Gibson logo inlaid in pearl on the head stock. That'd be a hell of a lot of trouble for two hundred bucks, so I'm pretty sure it's real.

Most important for our discussion --- have you checked the cost of re-drilling the bridge studs? I'm betting your local shop can do it for about a hundred bucks. Compare that to the prices those clowns on eBay are asking. Now the only problem would seem to be that this would place the control knobs under your left arm, but, hey, that didn't stop Hendricks.

Anyway, listen to me, King of Cheap; Chicago thugs would have to beat me to a pulp with half-inch plumbing pipe, and I still wouldn't pay $4000 for a guitar.

Sound effects: an acetylene welding torch whooshes, then pops.

Boss Goon with a squeaky voice: "Lefty, you mo-ron. If ya can't keep that damn torch going. we'll haveta go back to beatin' 'im with

these here pipes... "

Lefty in a deep voice: "Sheeese... always the glass half empty with you.... Look at 'im. Boss, he's bleedin'. An where he ain't bleedin', it's kinda burnt toasty and ashy all over.

Boss Goon: "Well 'e looks too comfortable to me. Untie 'im, and get 'im outta that chair. Okay, now, you, Tiny Tim, rub 'im down wit' dat salt...

Tiny Tim -a pin-headed mass of muscle with a cartoon voice: "heh heh heh hehhehhehheh heh heh heh... I love my job, I do I do. oooooOOOOOOOoooo. Listen to 'im squeal.... hehhehhehheh heh heh heh... "

Boss Goon: "Alright... alright.... now drag 'im over to the edge of the bridge there. Yeah, that's right, hold 'im over the edge by his ankle, there."

Boss Goon: "Okay, overtherainbo, got any more smart-*** things to say?"

overtherainbo, voice muffled and weak: "mmm..mmmmm... Mama...."

Boss Goon: "I didn't think so. Now, you buyin' this guitar? Remember it's yer money, or yer life....

overtherainbo: "...mmm ... m..."

Boss Goon more slowly: " I said, 'It's yer money, or yer life' ..."

overtherainbo: "Don't rush me, man, I'm... I'm thinking about it...."

So,

Why not contact Elderly, and ask them how to go about getting an appraisal?

That'd be a good place for a realistic price/value. Gruhn Guitars in Nashville would be a good place for a high end on the price spectrum (all things of this nature will have a range of value high to low, and where you sell/buy in that range is what determines how you did unless holding for a long time). I think either will do an appraisal (for a fee) with some good high res pics. For insurance purposes, Gruhn's est. will probably be higher.

No one can say with authority when these may climb sharply in value, that is referred to as "speculation" (also the name for that type of investment). I'd suggest either trying to sell in the higher range now and buying a similatr lefty guitar (hopefully in the low range of it's value), or try for a straight up trade (thoughts on lefty's can go both ways, on the one hand, rarer than right handers, and could possibly bring more $, on the other hand, far less demand- even many of us left handers play right handed- so in some cases they may bring less $).

In the end, it's all about what kind of a "horse trader" you are. Get what you can get, and move to something useful to you. Or, let it sit and hope it sees a wild surge of appreciation (it may... or may not).

A kind soul at Gibson customer service suggested that the value of 70's Gibsons would go up, soon- of course he couldn't speculate as to when. As I play lefty, the 71 SG I have is not something I would play- can't just restring it, the bridge is mounted at an angle biased for wrong-handed (sorry, just had to do that!) players, and I am not going to re-drill it! So, it would sit around most of the time, occasionally played by a visitor but mostly just having the strings rust into uselessness...

Anybody wanna speculate as to how long I might have to keep it before it's value doubles, or better? Wondering if the risk of loss, damage, etc. plus the "cost of money" (i.e. is my money better parked elsewhere?) worth the wait, or should I sell it now (for fair market value, of course- you vultures can circle somewhere else)?

I would have that 71 if you don't want it, I want the Angus Young tone, so i need a 70s SG! [scared]

It will not double in value BUT since the year 2000 the price of 70's gibsons have increased about 12% a year. I think a fair price would be between $3500 and $4000

Hey wait - twelve percent per year at twelve years equals almost four hundred percent, right?

Archived