Gibson Brands Forums

Boss Blues Driver or FullTone OCD or Voodoo Lab Sparkle drive

Andrew Riggs

I am about to purchase one but don't know which one to purchase. What are the pros and cons of each pedal? I play a Epiphone Les Paul Custom through a Voxac15 and play in my church band. I want something that has good clarity and can sound great at different settings.

I've had all three- I kept the OCD.

Blues Driver IMO sounds somewhat like a cranked, small wattage Fender amp, but can get really bright and grainy.

Sparkle Drive- just a tube screamer, with added adjustable clean boost

IMO the OCD can do tube screamer, or simular to the Boss DS1 with the flick of a switch, is more touch resposive, and you can use different voltages to adjust headroom to taste.

Sold my blues driver off as soon as I placed my powder for the Tim. So far, no regrets. The Tim , in my opinion, has a more real breakup sound. i thought that the blues driver, and others i played, colored the sound of the guitar. It was great in a pinch, but when I could play the amp and work on tones, I could hear it changing the tone. The Tim is transparent. The wait time is down on ordering them. Think i waited about 2 months. I know the costs are significantly different, but to me it was worth it.

I've had all three- I kept the OCD.

Blues Driver IMO sounds somewhat like a cranked, small wattage Fender amp, but can get really bright and grainy.

Sparkle Drive- just a tube screamer, with added adjustable clean boost

IMO the OCD can do tube screamer, or simular to the Boss DS1 with the flick of a switch, is more touch resposive, and you can use different voltages to adjust headroom to taste.

+1. Can't go wrong with any of the 3. My favorite for years was the Blues Driver, but it can get pretty harsh if cranked with some pickups(mainly single coils). The Keeley mod helps a bunch.

I haven't played a Sparkle Drive, but I would get a Tubescreamer over any of those 3. Boss pedals color your tone and will give you a general/generic sound. OCD also color your tone but they do have more character than Boss. Tubescreamers give you a nice saturated OD, feedback free, and is way more versatile; meaning you can play Country, Rock and yes Jazz and Blues given your using a different guitar and amp for the later two. +:-@

I haven't played a Sparkle Drive, but I would get a Tubescreamer over any of those 3. Boss pedals color your tone and will give you a general/generic sound. OCD also color your tone but they do have more character than Boss. Tubescreamers give you a nice saturated OD, feedback free, and is way more versatile; meaning you can play Country, Rock and yes Jazz and Blues given your using a different guitar and amp for the later two. +:-@

Of you course you can, you can turn it on and play rock and blues, and you can turn it off and play jazz, country, and blues.

If he likes it then it's good.

Boss isn't bad.

And you play on a tiny practice amp for crying out loud!

I'm sure you'd get different results with a better solidstate amps or a tube amp.

I am about to purchase one but don't know which one to purchase. What are the pros and cons of each pedal? I play a Epiphone Les Paul Custom through a Voxac15 and play in my church band. I want something that has good clarity and can sound great at different settings.

I think my answer is the same as the other thread asking the same thing and the one before that. But I'll answer anyway:

FIRST, go back and read the responces in the other to threads you started about this. There are some very good and helpful answers from many poeple there about each of these pedals.

SECOND: go try some pedals yourself and see what YOU think of them and what they do for you.

THIRD: Buy SOMETHING and use it for awhile and learn about what it can do and can't do. You will have no way of understanding what poeple are describing until you practice with them a little. You need to start somewhere.

I like the blues driver personally but I haven't had much time on the OCD and never used the Voodoo. But what I can say is to get your amp tone set and then adjust your tone knob to match what you have set on your amp. I play a super and a hot rod deluxe and usually have the eq strait set on 5 or 7. Currently I like that sound but sometimes, depending on the room, I have to make some slight adjustments.

What you can also do is set the gain so that it is slightly louder than clean and then turn your amp volume up and turn your guitar volume down. I think it gets a better sound that way. but that's just my preference for the sound that I'm personally going for.

Are you wanting to just get a little grit to your sound or are you going to be running a lot of gain?

Archived