Gibson Brands Forums

1968 sg.....

RowdyMoon

I think I wouldn't give you 3300 for all the 68 SGs made. 3300 bucks would buy you a new SG and something else, my advice to anyone that didn't play those guitars back then would be to pass and spend that money on a great new SG and a great amp, it's pretty easy to do.

rct

Very reasonable indeed.

The p-ups, if original, will be 'T-Tops' which are almost worth half the asking price on their own!

P.

Hmmm, I don't know about Canada or the UK but in the U.S. Patent Number Sticker T-Tops are selling for about $200.

I think the asking price isn't too bad for full retail. But who pays full retail?

Very reasonable indeed.

The p-ups, if original, will be 'T-Tops' which are almost worth half the asking price on their own!

P.

Keep in mind, these things tend to be cheaper this side of the pond. That said, I really have no good idea on the price, other than to say it does not look like a "bargain" to me (might well be market price, research will be needed to determine).

I'd check vintage Guitar Magazine, eBay, and various retailers to determine the proper price "range" for this guitar. Look for a high and a low, not just a "price". That will give you an idea of it's true value to you.

Is this a "grail" for you, a model and era you really seek, or just an interesting guitar you thought to check out? Are you looking to it as more "investment", or looking for a nice player you can enjoy?

The price looks good to me... I doubt you would ever lose money if you buy that guitar were as is you buy a new SG you will lose a good portion of the money once you buy it and bring it home...

Yes, that's what we said in 1968.

rct

I think I wouldn't give you 3300 for all the 68 SGs made. 3300 bucks would buy you a new SG and something else, my advice to anyone that didn't play those guitars back then would be to pass and spend that money on a great new SG and a great amp, it's pretty easy to do.

rct

I think rct is in denial that the vintage or even an old guitar market exists... There are lots of people who want a guitar from the 50, 60 or 70 because they are collectable. Lets say the 50's guitars are the true vintage guitars but they are out of reach of most people. 60's guitars, still very desirable and not as expensive. 70's, old guitars with mojo, affordable seasoned, mature wood... New guitars are new guitars, dime a dozen, you will take a big hit in value just for bringing it home.

I think rct is in denial that the vintage or even an old guitar market exists... There are lots of people who want a guitar from the 50, 60 or 70 because they are collectable. Lets say the 50's guitars are the true vintage guitars but they are out of reach of most people. 60's guitars, still very desirable and not as expensive. 70's, old guitars with mojo, affordable seasoned, mature wood... New guitars are new guitars, dime a dozen, you will take a big hit in value just for bringing it home.

I am not at all in denial of the vintage or old guitar market. I have watched over long time now as guitars went from being Your Uncles Old Guitar that you didn't want to being "vintage" just because of the year they were made.

All guitars were new once. I also don't have a problem with that. They all took a hit in value just for bringing them home, they were all a dime a dozen. In todays dollars that 68 should have sold for what? 600 bucks in 1968? It didn't.

Mojo? Affordable seasoned and mature wood? How does anyone know? You can't get yer email answered in this modern age of computers, but somehow you or anyone else knows that, of course, premium woods went into that SG because, you know, that's what they did then. Really? The wood gets to a certain relative moisture content, and that's all it does. Everything after that is cosmetic, and we all know how hated relics are, because all they are is guitars that look old, because that's all old guitars are, guitars that look old.

Do you think we were sitting around in the 70's counting the days until these super special guitars became "collectible"? We weren't.

There is nothing intrinsically more valuable about a 1968 SG. It's an SG. You either take it out and use it and make money with it, or you don't. If you do, nobody can hear yer 68 SG. I've never been turned down for a gig because I didn't have a vintage guitar. I've never stopped recording something and said DAMN! I need a 68 SG to do this part!

My guitars are becoming vintage as we speak, and I can tell you without doubt that nothing special at all has happened to them. And when it is time for me to go to old peoples prison and I can only take one, the ones I sell will not be any more specialer or gooderer than the new ones. In fact, they will be even less special to someone else, because I am the one that took them those places and did those things with them that the buyer laughingly calls "mojo". Who wants someone elses experiences and places and people? I certainly don't. The places and people in my guitars are mine, not anyone elses, and inflating the prices beyond reason doesn't make them anyone elses, it make the guitar stupid expensive because somebody on the internet says it is "vintage".

Do you buy an old car because of where someone else drove it? It's funny how vintage guitar collectors pride themselves on their brand new BMW or whatever. No way man, no used cars for me! Cars are "used". Guitars?

No offense intended to anyone that goes for the whole vintage thing. Many peoples have seen the a$$ entirely torn out of it, it's boring, it's way too predictable, and it's unfortunately laughable to have a kid whose parents were barely out of high school when I was using those guitars tell me all about vintage guitars because he saw one on facebook. The original poster asked for thoughts, and I gave mine based on my experience. A vintage guitar is great to talk about, cool to show yer friends, and all warm and nice to think about it gaining all kindsa value. When the lights go down and then out, or the red one comes on, it's still just a guitar, and all the talkin and pictures of and drinks over it mean nothing. It's value isn't there, just the sound. Quite frankly, I've made far more money using my guitars than anyone can ever hope to get out of investing in them for their "vintage" value at any point in the future.

Just sayin.

rct

All opinions are welcome good, bad or indifferant.....RCT has some valid points and it may apply in most cases however that being said..

I am not sure I would want to by this without seeing it first off....It is old and it has some "vintage history" but I would never buy a guitar for investment purposes, it's more of a sentimental reason....this is something I would play and later when I kick the bucket it would be handed down to one of my kids....I don't think it would have any better tone than any new one out there...but in the end if you ever have to sell it down the road I am sure you could break even at least..........and least, is anything really "worth" what the price is...is a new car worth $45000, or a video game worth $90...not really, but that's the going price if ya want it.....the house I own now is "worth" $350000 in my area, this same house in say Toronto ( a 1 hour drive away) would list for $800000...same bricks, same driveway, same everything but that much dif in price...crazy.

rtc everything you say is true but you have lived through it and to you knowing that the guitar sold for 300 new back in the day makes it seem stupid to pay what people pay for vintage or old guitars now. If you step back and put your self in the shoes of a much younger guitar player, say someone born in 92 who is now 20 years old, a 1968 SG was made 24 years before they were born. That's when the Rock icons were doing their thing and making these guitars part of history. Personally I think that and the fact that there are only so many 50s, 60s and 70s guitar around and as you know anything limited in number that has a demand goes up in value.

rtc everything you say is true but you have lived through it and to you knowing that the guitar sold for 300 new back in the day makes it seem stupid to pay what people pay for vintage or old guitars now.

Yeah, but I do know that demand and price and all don't reflect anything like reality, so I'm ok with the silly money they ask for them, and if I was of a mind to buy one, a particular few, I would pay it. Slim chances of me finding any of my guitars though!

If you step back and put your self in the shoes of a much younger guitar player, say someone born in 92 who is now 20 years old, a 1968 SG was made 24 years before they were born. That's when the Rock icons were doing their thing and making these guitars part of history. Personally I think that and the fact that there are only so many 50s, 60s and 70s guitar around and as you know anything limited in number that has a demand goes up in value.

Oh sure, there are limits to how many and that makes prices go up. That's fine, that's how it works. They are still just guitars. A 68 SG has no more chance of being a great guitar than a 2008 SG, that's how it is for me.

Now if you and I were passing back and forth this here 68 SG, and it was just insanely good, what a great guitar this is, sure, we could talk about maybe is it worth buying? For that kinda money, for me, no it isn't, and I'd give that advice to a young person. Buy a new one, put your own miles on it, be the one that makes it feel this good. If someone wanted to buy it I for sure would encourage them because it is a great guitar for them, not because it is a 1968 SG.

So to me, putting an anonymous 68 SG on the internet and asking that kind of money just because it's a 68 is just whack vintage guitar bs. Good chance that things a dog. Good chance most guitars are dogs for most people, you have to look to find the right one. As hard as it is for people to believe, they were just as iffy then as they are now.

rct

Mea Culpa, I suppose....[smile]

One reason I thought it seemed a good buy was that I had recently (last weekend) checked over the on-line inventory at Gruhn's (it keeps me from making worse mischief) and remembered seeing an identical instrument for sale there. Even allowing for a hefty mark-up they are asking $4,500 for it so I guessed $3,300 was a good price for the example in the OP.

I'm certainly no expert on how much a '68 SG Standard would normally fetch in it's native land and I bow to your collective wisdom. Nor, for that matter, do I know much about the SG range in general.

In the UK you could say '£' in place of '$' and it would still seem a good buy. There are obviously far fewer of the things this side of the pond and there is always a premium asked in the good old 'Supply and Demand' tradition.

The 'ask' works out at £2,125 which is the current going rate hereabouts for a Series 1 (LP) SG Standard CS re-issue. If one is in the market for that type of guitar, to get the 'Real Thing' - albeit a less-loved series 2 - still strikes me as a good deal.

But, hey, I've been wrong once or twice before!

[smile]

P.

Mea Culpa, I suppose....[smile]

One reason I thought it seemed a good buy was that I had recently (last weekend) checked over the on-line inventory at Gruhn's (it keeps me from making worse mischief) and remembered seeing an identical instrument for sale there. Even allowing for a hefty mark-up they are asking $4,500 for it so I guessed $3,300 was a good price for the example in the OP.

I'm certainly no expert on how much a '68 SG Standard would normally fetch in it's native land and I bow to your collective wisdom. Nor, for that matter, do I know much about the SG range in general.

In the UK you could say '£' in place of '$' and it would still seem a good buy. There are obviously far fewer of the things this side of the pond and there is always a premium asked in the good old 'Supply and Demand' tradition.

The 'ask' works out at £2,125 which is the current going rate hereabouts for a Series 1 (LP) SG Standard CS re-issue. If one is in the market for that type of guitar, to get the 'Real Thing' - albeit a less-loved series 2 - still strikes me as a good deal.

But, hey, I've been wrong once or twice before!

[smile]

P.

Might be my bad. As I said, I don't know. My statement of things (musical things) being cheaper over here was a generalization, and certainly can't be true of everything.

WRT Gruhn's, love the store! But unless things have markedly changed with them in the last 17 or so years, they are a retailer that often has some of the higher prices (one of those I would check for the higher limit of a range of prices). So maybe a good range for this one is $3300 to $4500? Or maybe the lower limit is closer to $2500 (just my speculation, but that's what I'd guess without have a shred of research to back it up). Again, research is the key to getting a feel for the market. That and time spent watching it. Same with any market really I suppose.

Oh, I don't really think it's a case of anyones 'bad' at all, T-bone. Just some musings 'out-loud' as it were.

My thought is that the current 'Vintage' market is a guessing-game for most items other than the 'blue-chip' examples. And you're spot-on about things being more affordable in the USA - with the possible exceptions of Marshall and Vox! Certainly there's a book price but markets can change quickly these days...

Gruhn's, of course, will profit by a hefty percentage of the selling price but I must say even then some of their stock seems reasoably priced to us Brits................well, Me, at any rate!

Just wish I had the necessary disposable and the requisite storage space.....

P.

I agree with Pippy as I'm in the UK. £2125. Cheap for a '68 from our perspective. That's what they're charging for new ones and new high-end Gibsons are more. Canada also has higher prices than U.S.

As to the other stuff in this thread - surely all opinions are valid? as in fact the value of any old guitar is what you can get for it...or what someone is prepared to pay for it. And ever has been.

I can see this one getting snapped up by some band for a video. And it probably is very good mahogany.

Oh, I don't really think it's a case of anyones 'bad' at all, T-bone. Just some musings 'out-loud' as it were.

My thought is that the current 'Vintage' market is a guessing-game for most items other than the 'blue-chip' examples. And you're spot-on about things being more affordable in the USA - with the possible exceptions of Marshall and Vox! Certainly there's a book price but markets can change quickly these days...

Gruhn's, of course, will profit by a hefty percentage of the selling price but I must say even then some of their stock seems reasoably priced to us Brits................well, Me, at any rate!

Just wish I had the necessary disposable and the requisite storage space.....

P.

As is the case with most dealers, their stock will also be priced with some items a far better buy than others. Having been to Gruhns on a couple of occasions (and even offered a job for a day! Another story for another time), I did manage to buy two pieces from them in the 1990s. A '63 Fender Princeton amp (brown tolex with cream knobs), and a '55 Fender Champ (tweed, the small box version with the 6 inch speaker). Both of these were actually very good deals, and were passed over by other collectors multiple times (they have so much cool stuff, it's hard not to miss some!). I subscribed to their list for years. The Princeton, I tried out when in town visiting my parents. Ended up buying it a few weeks later over the phone. The Champ, they had with them at the Detroit Guitar show (maybe they bought it here, not sure). Again, I bought it weeks later over the phone.

Sorry to side track the thread. Vintage gear is very cool, and they're not making any more (despite all the reissues and relics). If that 68 SG does the trick, pick it up for as low a number as you can, and you'll be fine!

Archived