Gibson Brands Forums

Does an Acoustic Guitar need to "warm up"?????

onewilyfool

Last night I played 3 guitars which haven't been played in a while. I noticed this about each one. It took from 15 to 30 minutes for the thing to "warm up".....and I'm not talking about getting up to room temperature. Maybe it's the strings, maybe it's the guitar, maybe it's ME....I don't know, but the guitar really started cooking after this "warm up" session. The sound improved, playability seemed to improve. Now is this just ME, or do others out there in cyber land have similar experiences with their acoustic guitars??????

I'm sure Nik can tell us what the scientific reason for this is but I think it's absolutely true. I'm not sure why, maybe the wood warming up, the top vibrating and getting loosened up, whatever. It just seems to be a noticeable happenning that I can't explain. ( I wasn't being facetious about Nik knowing this and I hope he joins in. Unless I'm wrong, of course!)

A late friend of mine was a violinist (I don't use the 'f' word) and he believed EVERY old wive's tale about violins. And what a superstitious lot!

String people are downright weird anyway. Any group of people that makes ME seem mainstream has go to be half a bubble off plumb.

Anyway, when a violin came out of storage he would say it had "gone to sleep". I know what he MEANT; it's the same thing we're talking about here. Any instrument that sits is going to stiffen up. Or probably more accurately stated, is not limber.

And I do notice it. A lot. And if the guitar is stored in a cool room that seems to add to it. When I had my guitar shop in the mid 80s the room wasn't heated well and a lot of the acoustics sounded restrained with not much volume. Several times I would invite customers into the main part of the house for a coffee in a nice 70 degree living room and many times that was a deal maker. They couldn't get an accurate assessment of the guitar's true tone in that cold room.

Three factors come in to play:

[1] Your muscles

Playing any instrument is a muscle workout - and like any muscle workout, you will warm up as you start to use the muscles. So the playing will feel easier as you settle in - and probably sound better too.

[2] Your hearing

Your ear and brain will also 'tune in' to the sounds you are playing (this is the player's manifestation of the psyco-acoustic phenomenom known as the Cocktail Party Effect) at the expense of the general hubbub you were listening to before you started playing. Thus you will gradually become more aware of the nuances of the specific instrument you are playing. As you tune in, you start to play to the strength and away from the weaker aspects of that particular guitar. Again, this will probably produce a better sound as you play.

[3] Your guitar

The strings and the timber will warm slightly as you play and, since increase in heat is no more than increase in molecular agitation, the more vibrating goes on, the warmer they will become. This subtle but measurable change in teperature will have an effect on the resonant characteristics of the guitar as the densities change. Changes will also occur because of the minute pitch and stiffness changes of the strings as they warm. Further changes may occur because the air around the guitar warms and humidifies as you breath and perspire into it.

All these incredibly subtle changes add up to something you can hear - because you know your guitar. Chances are a third party would not notice the difference unless you forewarned them - and even then, it would be difficult.

So - you suckered me in..... now I sit back and wait for the flack..... [-o<

I agree with all opinions posted, and I've always thought that it's actually a combined reaction. Not only does it take a little time for your instrument to 'loosen up', but it also takes you a little time to warm up and limber the fingers. Limber with the timber, so to speak. As you warm up, your instrument begins to respond better and both you and your guitar begin to relax and respond in unison.

Don't ya just love it when a plan comes together?

+1 Nik:) Nice explanation

A sidebar to this thread. A real pristine vintage might not be the best sounding, for not having been worked. No evidence to back this up, but Ive definitely heard it alluded to re electrics and amps. So all you guys with a house full of guitars--get picking! J

My father was forever looking for the 'under the bed' classic..... a guy buys a new 1940 J200 and then dies in WWII and the family keeps it forever under the bed and then sells it to my father for four bucks in 1970.

Yeah, that was Dad all right. Might as well wish big.

I told him he would be disappointed if it ever happened.

I wish big too, but it usually involves watching Alyson Hanigan wash a dirty, dirty car with LOTS of soap while we're waiting for the Chinese food to arrive.

I have noticed that it takes my Gibson AJ about 15 minutes or so of playing to "warm up" so to speak. I have not had this same sensation with my 15 year old Taylor 612C but that may be because it was basically all I played until I got the Gibson a couple years ago. Maybe in another 10-15 years my Gibson will always be "Open" but for now, I don't mind going through the paces with it until it starts to get warmed up.

A real pristine vintage might not be the best sounding' date=' for not having been worked. [/quote']

This is the gospel truth. I have handled some real pristine guitars that were as much as 70 years old and none of them sounded great because they were tight from too many years under the bed. This is especially true of rosewood guitars.

I bought my AJ in January of this year and I really noticed a sound difference in the last 8 weeks or so.It always sounds great now and the sustain seems to go forever.That was definitely not the case when I first got it. I just need to get the action lowered a bit and its going to be perfect ( for me ).

These latter comments are spot on - the wood and glue of a string intrument needs playing for the vibrations to 'settle' the wood and glue. Two identical instruments, one played and one not, the played one will sound different.

All that vibration 'shakes down' the fibres of the timber and the glues of the joints - this applies to pianos and violins, cellos and harpsichords, violas and guitars alike.

Somebody said it back there..... guitars are made to be played.

Not stuck on a wall like a trophy or salted away in a vault as an investment.

Archived