Gibson Brands Forums

How can you dye bridge pins?

GibbyJoe

I bought some bridge pins on ebay a few months ago and they are white with mop inlay on them and they are too bright on my bridge and they do not match the saddle which is off white or cream coloured. Does ne1 here know how to dye them yourself so they have that vintage look to them? Or should I just buy some different ones?

:)

You could try letting them soak in a cup of coffee or tea for a few days. Don't know for sure but I assume that would darken them some. Best answer I can offer is contact Bob Colosi, one of (if not the most) knowledgeable people about pins and saddles out there. http://www.guitarsaddles.com/

I know he sells dyed pins and it seems I read that Tea or coffee works for that but he would know for sure. Real nice guy too...

Good thread! I was wondering about this myself after I bought the bone pins from Mista Colosi. Just a little too bright for my taste, and I just know they will contrast with the off-white fossilized walrus ivory saddle I just bought from him. I was thinking along the lines of varnish or dying them with coffee, but tea makes more sense. Thanks for the tip!

TWilson - you crack me up, dude:)

JEEEEZ guys we nearly made it

I was padding down this thread re bridge pins and no one had mentioned Bob Colosi!!!

Usually his name is down even if we are discussing Thermidors (or whatever the thing s are which keep guitars alive)

Then John Lee HAS TO DO IT!

As for Wilson and his ridiculous story about his grandmothers teeth. It wasn't the tea which stained em Tom, they fell in the mud as I was posting them back to you!

OK Tim?

PS Why are you sticking a cotton bud up the *** of kingfishers?

Is this the new national pastime of Oregon replacing Otter sexing?

John

Johnt said-PS Why are you sticking a cotton bud up the *** of kingfishers?

If you were standing under, or directly behind this feathered little beast you'd realize instantly what it is and that it is coming out and not going into said bird! And You-know-who is your uncle.

I include a pertinent response from the above mentioned thread. Maybe best to buy them dyed from the source prior to the inlay being done. Don't know how the tea will affect MOP.

Cheers,

Les

LesLawrence wrote:

The result was ok but not as good as I had hoped. I will post pictures later in the week when I have more time. The pins I have are with a black dot inlay. The area surrounding the dot did not take the stain as well as the rest of the pin. The pin roots came out well but nobody will see those.

Les

Gearbasher:

The area surrounding the inlay probably will never darken. The glue used on the inlay might have filled in the pores in the bone.

JEEEEZ guys we nearly made it

I was padding down this thread re bridge pins and no one had mentioned Bob Colosi!!!

Usually his name is down even if we are discussing Thermidors (or whatever the thing s are which keep guitars alive)

Then John Lee HAS TO DO IT!

John

You must have been "padding" too quickly John... I not only mentioned the pin & saddle kings name, but also provided the link to his site in the very first response to the thread..... +:-@

You must have been "padding" too quickly John... I not only mentioned the pin & saddle kings name' date=' but also provided the link to his site in the very first response to the thread..... :D [/quote']

Ist rule of forums Paul

Never read the first thread!

In that way you can write the biggest load of irrelevant old twaddle!

But yes you are correct, mea culpa!

I didn't do it! I always try not to endorse Bob Colosi and his website, www.guitarsaddle.com, or mention the fantastic products he offers, such as premier inlaid bridge pins, exotic saddle and nut materials, and Monster cables w/free shipping. I know how some people feel about those shameless plugs.

Looks like someone beat me to it:)

kiwi brown shoe polish works great, varnish is a little tedious. tea/coffee works good if your pins don't have a finishing polish/coat on them that you would need to sand off. I prefer kiwi brown because tea/coffee can take almost a week to dye certain materials if any.

I didn't do it! I always try not to endorse Bob Colosi and his website' date=' www.guitarsaddle.com, or mention the fantastic products he offers, such as premier inlaid bridge pins, exotic saddle and nut materials, and Monster cables w/free shipping. I know how some people feel about those shameless plugs.

Looks like someone beat me to it:)[/quote']

Whew... I am relieved that you also try not to endorse Bob Colosi or his website http://www.guitarsaddles.com/ as the more people who know about his excellent customer service and top quality products, the less time and attention he will have for when I need some new bridge pins, saddles or other very cool upgrades to my guitars! ](*,)

Archived