Gibson Brands Forums

Well, I Went and Did It

Joe M

Some of you may remember my story this winter about getting a great natural topped AJ home here in Michigan from Florida that I bought at a guitar show in Orlando. Probably the best Gibby I've played. Fast forward to yesterday when I spot a "mint" AJ for sale on my local CL for a good price. Do I need another AJ, especially since I like the one I already have, no, I don't. Do I want another AJ since this one is SB and will complement the natural top one, yes I do. So, took about a 25 minute drive to check out the guitar. Guy that has it says it belongs to his dad, who bought it in March of 2011, restrung it, and pretty much left it in it's case since. I got it home, restrung it and am amazed as to how much it sounds like my other one. The new one does need a few tweaks to get it playing like I'd like, but the sound of the two is remarkably similar. Overkill? Maybe, but I'm one happy camper...

Had to share....

Ah, yes. Severe Gibson GAS in all its glory!

Congrats, and don't feel all alone. I am secretly (well, not so secretly) looking for a couple of J-45/SJ's to supplement my herd. As if my '48 J-45 isn't enough "slope hog" for anyone.

That was a beautiful AJ natural you bought in Orlando. Probably the best guitar I played at that show.

That was a beautiful AJ natural you bought in Orlando. Probably the best guitar I played at that show.

Thanks for that, nick, I remember you commenting about the guitar when I bought it.

Congrats, if it makes you feel any better up until last year I owned 7 Telecasters all with pretty similar configurations.

Recently I acquired a J-50, followed by a J-45, differences are top colour and pickguard I suppose, the rest seems pretty similar, mines don;t sound exactly alike though, wether that translates to video remains to be seen, but in the hands there's a slight difference.

Congrats on the new guitar, I hope you get many happy years from it.

Just got done tweaking the truss rod and shaving off some saddle and the new AJ plays like buttah.....has anyone else noticed that all of the newer Gibsons, regardless of model, seem to have a very high saddle? At least the half dozen or so that I've played in the last 6 months or so. Is it because it's easier to remove saddle than add? I can't figure out any other reason than that....

Archived