Gibson Brands Forums

I wish i had a 1959 Plexi

FenderGuy1

The 1959 is a fabulous amp but it's also very impractical because of its tremendous power.Where the amp has no master volume,in order to get that raunchy roar that Hendrix got you'd have to pretty well max out the volume which would blow out the windows in all but the largest of venues.A much more practical 100W Marshall would be the 2203 which has a master volume so you can get the natural overdrive without causing permanent hearing loss.The 2203 was according to Jim Marshall,the best amp that he ever made.The 2204 is the 50W equivalent of the 2203 and is extremely loud in its own right.For some reason a 50W Marshall sounds much louder than a 50W Fender,Traynor and most other 50W amps.The 2204 can pump out true Hendrix tone at "sensible" volume yet it can get the Hendrix tone when maxxed out too.

The 1959 is a fabulous amp but it's also very impractical because of its tremendous power.Where the amp has no master volume,in order to get that raunchy roar that Hendrix got you'd have to pretty well max out the volume which would blow out the windows in all but the largest of venues.A much more practical 100W Marshall would be the 2203 which has a master volume so you can get the natural overdrive without causing permanent hearing loss.The 2203 was according to Jim Marshall,the best amp that he ever made.The 2204 is the 50W equivalent of the 2203 and is extremely loud in its own right.For some reason a 50W Marshall sounds much louder than a 50W Fender,Traynor and most other 50W amps.The 2204 can pump out true Hendrix tone at "sensible" volume yet it can get the Hendrix tone when maxxed out too.

Hey at least i love Marshall

Archived