Gibson Brands Forums

John Entwhistle

RowdyMoon

I've heard it said that his solo in "My Generation" was the first bass solo in rock.

I read (heard??) an interview with Pete Townshend who said the way they got their sound was that "...John was playing lead on the bass, Moon was playing lead on the drums, Pete was playing lead on the guitar and poor Roger was just hanging on and trying to keep up."

I read (heard??) an interview with Pete Townshend who said the way they got their sound was that "...John was playing lead on the bass, Moon was playing lead on the drums, Pete was playing lead on the guitar and poor Roger was just hanging on and trying to keep up."

The way those three interacted was truly incredible and Roger was able to pretty much keep up.

He was, undoubtedly, a great bassist - one of the very best IMHO - and by all accounts a great guy, too.

For those that like looking at pictures;

There is a book out, published by Sanctuary Publishing, called 'Bass Culture' which is a comprehensive account of the guitars in the Entwhistle Collection as it was in 2003/4.

As you'd expect there is an enormous number of basses featured but he had the eclectic taste of a true enthusiast/collector - at one time, for instance, he owned not one but two '58 Explorers - so there are dozens of six-string solids; semi's; lap-steels; you name it.

Amongst the true gems in the book are gutars like one of the first five Fender Precision basses ever made.

In another snap, rubbing shoulders with one another, there is what he calls 'The Unholy Trinity' - a '59 tiger-stripe LP; a '58 Explorer and a '58 Flying V. An utterly desirable little group!

Peppered throughout the book are some comments to accompany the (excellent) photographs. His dry wit comes across - as in the caption for his '59 ES-345 Stereo; "Just Like B.B. King's. But this one's name is 'Gladys'..."

For the pictures alone I'd highly recommend it.

P.

When Jimi H saw The Who Live he fell in love with the Ox,the way he played and sounded. Most folks of the time thought John sounded like a V1 bomb from WWII. John helped Roto Sound produce the first round wound bass strings Swingbass 66. He is also credited with com'n up with the name Led Zeppelin. He is also the first to use a Marshall stack.

Oh man..... when I read that I spit coffee out my nose! All true.... I believe John and Keith were the best at their instruments, Pete was one of the best, and Roger had good stage presence!

When Jimi H saw The Who Live he fell in love with the Ox,the way he played and sounded. Most folks of the time thought John sounded like a V1 bomb from WWII. John helped Roto Sound produce the first round wound bass strings Swingbass 66. He is also credited with com'n up with the name Led Zeppelin. He is also the first to use a Marshall stack.

The story as I heard it was Moony coined the name when he heard what kind of band Page was putting together.

Ya he was just silly on that thing. Right up there as one of my favorite bassists.

I can't hear his name without thinking "Boris the Spider" ... Always got a kick out of that tune and the story behind it.

I doubt Pete would have described himself as playing lead. In fact, I've always heard him downplay his lead skills and admit that he was just a rhythm player all along.

I doubt Pete would have described himself as playing lead. In fact, I've always heard him downplay his lead skills and admit that he was just a rhythm player all along.

Also refused to follow Jimi at Monterey.

It was Moony not the Ox that gave Led Zepplin their name and he didn't exactly say lead zepplin either.When Jimmy Page and Robert Plant were telling him what they were planning to do,Moony said:"That will take off like a lead balloon."Page and Plant went into fits of laughter and played around with the term until they came up with the unique spelling Led Zepplin.

BTW Entwhistle's bass on Call Me Lightnin' is pretty spectacular and doesn't sound anything like a bass or any other instrument for that matter.

Archived