Gibson Brands Forums

Dragged an electric out

ParlourMan

Decided to give one of the electrics a wee spin today, I normally do this tune live with my SJ-200TV, but seeing the original clips for Love is All by the Tallest man on Earth I seen he'd used a Gretsch, so I tried it through my acoustic amp to test the sound, was a bit too much for the iPhone as you'll see but very useable in context with the original and it'll save me dragging round a second amp or gigs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_iwMor2dGk

Very tasty PM, anything to do with your recent Stone Roses re-hit phase ?

Its actually a timely reminder that electrics are not just for power chords and Marshall stacks utnred to 8. You can also play some very tasty 'acoustic' style on the electric as so well demonstrated by yourself. I have a feeling I might get the Les Paul off the hook sometime and try something similar.

Thanks for sharing !

Like the Gretsch - do you have a chorus effect going? Or is that the i-phone overload? My son plays his ES 120T with a single soapbar pickup thru an acoustic amp, doesn't sound nearly as creamy as those humbuckers.

97 of those was me tryin to figure the bugger out :-)

hahaha nice one. Top E tuned to D, I think it's called reverse drop D.... Em/F#D/G/C (verse) C, walk down to Am, D (with F# bass note) for chorus *

* all relative to the capo position. if ye get stuck pm me and I can send you chord shapes and patterns, its quite easy once you get going. It's not perfect against the record but it's close enough to work.

Like the Gretsch - do you have a chorus effect going? Or is that the i-phone overload? My son plays his ES 120T with a single soapbar pickup thru an acoustic amp, doesn't sound nearly as creamy as those humbuckers.

Except that the dynasonics are the original Gretsch single-coils, Dan. The extra row of screws are just to hold the things in place.

Sounding good, PM. At least one of the listens besides BBG was me! Would be interested to know how your Gretsch sounds through a standard amp. Going by what I can see and what I remember about Gretsch switching, you're using the back/bridge/treble pickup there, but maybe it was the two-switch variants which reversed Gibson switch positions. Sounds pretty trebly, in any case, but really does seem a touch acoustic compared with what I'd expect from a semi set to the back pup through a standard amp. Very interesting. Does the amp really make a difference, or is it just the iphone?

As you can hear the iPhone was quite pushed to record a clean sound, it wasn't even that loud to be honest... yeah the dynasonics are single coils, I like these pickups in the angrier electric playing style they're quite rowdy.

The acoustic amp had a bit of reverb on it, more than I would normally use to be honest, but I've seen a few clips of the original artist doing this song with quite a reverb laden sound so I thought I'd chase that a wee bit to see how it sounded. The Gretsch itself, it usually sounds quite warm and not too trebly, but then I'm playing it through an all valve Vox amp normally. I'll maybe have another crack at it through the vox, but that could be a bit hard to catch on the video as the valve amp is a much louder beast.

The idea is just to break up the purely acoustic sound we have at the minute, after a whole night of it, it might get a bit samey for the crowd who've seen us a few times, so next one I'll be taking the resonator for a couple of tunes and I'll see how the boys like a couple of picky tunes on the Gretsch.

Cheers for taking the time to have a peek.

...but really does seem a touch acoustic compared with what I'd expect from a semi set to the back pup through a standard amp. Very interesting. Does the amp really make a difference, or is it just the iphone?

It was through the acoustic amp, mojo, which offers no break-up tones at all, solid state an all that... on the Vox it would have sounded a bit more lively and quite a bit thicker.

For anybody that might care to experiment...

The Roland Cubes at various sizes can sound excellent used in similar fashion...

A nice Gretsch or Rickenbacker fingerpicked

With a whiff of delay or reverb

Even selecting the 'acoustic' simulator is worth a look-see...

V

:-({|=

Archived