Gibson Brands Forums

Just bought a Les Paul Studio worn brown for a new project

daveinspain

Hey guys, i just picked up a Les Paul Studio worn brown finish for a project idea I have... The guitar has nothing on it, no pick ups, tuners, bridge, stop bar or electronics, nothing. So maybe you guys can help me build it.... Suggestions on all of the above would be great. Here are a couple of pics. I already have some vintage double line double ring Gibson tuners I picked up a while back to put on it but I need everything else...

111607.jpg

111608.jpg

what kind of sound are you looking for?

would ask the same - and then advice you to go classic all the same. 57' classic pu's and some gold hardware would probably sound and look cool - maybe even a gold bigsby vibrato?

also' date=' are you looking to paint it?[/quote']

I'm thinking of doing something really crazy.... I might put gold leaf on the top and leave the rest the faded brown color. I might nitro clear coat the whole thing when I'm done but I'll wait to see how it looks first. If I do the gold leaf top I'll have to put some kind of varnish on to protect it anyway.

I know the gold leaf is a bit over the top but I have never seen a Les Paul done that way.... So this would be a real "Gold Top" The gold leafing is not that expensive to do and I have a pro who does restoration work that will put it on... Am I nuts????

Dave thats awesome, I would love a guitar projest. I think it would be great if you showed step by step what your doing

every few weeks. I think this warrents your own forum.

Good luck and just how would you go about putting a Nitro finish on? I didn't think you could even buy it, Never mind

your in Spain. No EPA I guess.

There a guy sellind a faded V around here, $550, I might buy it and do the same.

Oh yea I did buy a 08 figured 335 I'll post some pics when I can

I'm thinking of doing something really crazy.... I might put gold leaf on the top and leave the rest the faded brown color. I might nitro clear coat the whole thing when I'm done but I'll wait to see how it looks first. If I do the gold leaf top I'll have to put some kind of varnish on to protect it anyway.

I know the gold leaf is a bit over the top but I have never seen a Les Paul done that way.... So this would be a real "Gold Top" The gold leafing is not that expensive to do and I have a pro who does restoration work that will put it on... Am I nuts????

Might I suggest using AxeWraps?

(...ducks and runs for cover ...)

Might I suggest using AxeWraps?

(...ducks and runs for cover ...)

I don't even know what AxeWraps are... The Gold leaf application will be done by an artisan profession who does restoration work for churches and old painting and frames... Its not a peal the backing off and slap it on thing....

that les paul came standard with the burstbucker pro's

i have that in worn cherry...get those...they are the same on the 08 standards.

they are super cool!

i was looking into the neutrik jack plate? that comes on the standards as well...

i say no pickguard...if you are going to spend a lot of time/effort to get that gold leaf...why cover 25% of it with a guard??

a bigsby is always sexy too...but alot of people complain about the strings after installing one of those...so its up to you...lets see more pics!

What about installing P-rails (pickups) and a piezo bridge?

Not sure about the P-rails Thunder. I want a more classic look. I like the Burstbucker pros as Mr. Newhaven suggested.... I was thinking of those anyway and didn't even know those were the pupps that are original to the guitar... Mine is a 2006 but chances are they would be the same that year too...

I'm not familiar with the piezo bridge... What's the difference????

i say no pickguard...if you are going to spend a lot of time/effort to get that gold leaf...why cover 25% of it with a guard??

a bigsby is always sexy too...but alot of people complain about the strings after installing one of those...so its up to you...lets see more pics!

True about the pickguard covering up the top but I may want the protection... Right now its up in the air....

A Bigsby...? Hmmm I don't think so.... too clunky.

OMG X2

you know...everyone is giving these axewraps a bad rep!

you never know when you need your guitar to look camouflaged for one gig...and then like a zebra the next...

this guitar would be awesome if you were under cover...this way no one could tell who you were based on your guitar...another place this could be useful is if you were playing a roomful of predators...(not the sexual kind but more like lions and tigers)

and you wanted to get and keep their attention during your set...the zebra stripes would come in handy and you might even get a little PU$$y out of it (cat joke not a perverted one!)

Les Paul Fanatic,

Cool guitar on your profile pic, nice look. Get me higher res picture of your guitar and we can have our design department replicate it as a design option for our customers. You know it would be cool if you saw people out there with an axewrap replica of your original... I'm serious though, you get me that pic and I'll have it on our site within a week.

I'm not familiar with the piezo bridge... What's the difference????

Acoustic tones man... awesome coustic tones from your guitar... you get two signals (stereo jack) one heavenly acoustic, and the other the normal electric from the pickups...

You can blend them, send them to separate amps ("Y" cable needed), it is amazing.

Archived