Gibson Brands Forums

Versatility of the 2012 les paul standard

Sutoria

I'm very close at the moment to buying a 2012 Les Paul standard but I'm wondering how versatile it is. Raabs told me personally that it is versatile by I want to know how versatile it is and can be. Just appreciate other opinions. I want to be able to play punk rock, traditional rock n roll, pop, alternative, country, rock and pop. I'd also like to play some metalcore on it too. Will I able to to do this with this guitar? I'm influenced majorly by Angels and Airwaves and Owl City (and Avenged Sevenfold). Will I be able to cover the music styles I mentioned above namely pop alternative, rock, traditional rock n roll, punk rock, pop, metalcore with this guitar? Thanx. Alexandros James. B)

I have conversed with Rabs before and he is an up front honest guy so you can believe what he told you. The only thing we differ about the 2012 Standard is the feel of the neck. I like it and he doesn't. Thats a personal preference that you will have to make up your own mind about.

It's a Les Paul and does everything you would ecpect from an LP Standard and a bit more. It's easier if I tell you what it won't do. It won't sound like a Strat or a Tele. I own all three of those guitars so I speak with some experience.

It will do coil tapping but that sounds more like P-90's than a Fender single coil.

Some really heavy sounding players like active pickups like EMG's and this LP is not that. I personally don't care for EMG's because thay are brittle sounding to my ears and sort of a one trick pony although I am sure people here have different thoughts on that.

This LP will easilly cover the styles you mentioned and then some. Best thing for you to do is check it out before you buy.

Good luck and happy hunting.

I have conversed with Rabs before and he is an up front honest guy so you can believe what he told you. The only thing we differ about the 2012 Standard is the feel of the neck. I like it and he doesn't. Thats a personal preference that you will have to make up your own mind about.

It's a Les Paul and does everything you would ecpect from an LP Standard and a bit more. It's easier if I tell you what it won't do. It won't sound like a Strat or a Tele. I own all three of those guitars so I speak with some experience.

It will do coil tapping but that sounds more like P-90's than a Fender single coil.

Some really heavy sounding players like active pickups like EMG's and this LP is not that. I personally don't care for EMG's because thay are brittle sounding to my ears and sort of a one trick pony although I am sure people here have different thoughts on that.

This LP will easilly cover the styles you mentioned and then some. Best thing for you to do is check it out before you buy.

Good luck and happy hunting.

Well put. You could change the pickups to get a hotter set for the metalcore but I don't know anyone that would coil tap an EMG. B)

• 2 weeks later...

Don't want to hijack a thread but don't want to start a duplicate :P

I got my 2012 Les Paul Standard in cherry burst, check out my pics at AGF :P

Couldn't agree more with the generalization that this is a rhythm players guitar.

That's what I am :P A rhythm player and not a shredder :P

The dual humbuckers are JUST WHAT THE DOCTOR ORDERED !! :P

I haven't even plugged it into a real amp, I am using the Roland Mobile battery operated amp and I am SOLD SOLD SOLD on this guitar.

Whatever the nay sayers are sayin' and complainin' and moanin' and groanin' about,

I'm not understanding them, and frankly scarlet, I could give a rats behind :P

As Judge Judy would phrase :P

Harmonics101

hy guys ,

I bought my 2012 LP two weeks ago and I havn't laid it down since . I play blues , classic rock , pop but no metal ,I'm an old guy you know . It's been doing everthing I tried . i have an SG and an ES 335 plus a Vox SDC55 . I haven't regretted bying any of these guitars but the LP might well become my number one . Although I still have the ES 335 . As you can see it's a difficult thing to choose between good guitars . They each have their own strong points and weaknesses , just like people really .

post-46878-004307400 1347609578_thumb.jpgpost-46878-087284400 1347609578_thumb.jpgpost-46878-098674600 1347609579_thumb.jpgpost-46878-068686700 1347609580_thumb.jpg

CowBoyBillyBob, I didn't say the Les Paul 2012 was exclusively for rhythm.

Being a rhythm guitarist, I find the Les Paul 2012 accommodates my strong tendency towards rhythm guitar.

I'm sure once I master to do licks, I won't be needing a different guitar :P

Harmonics101

CowBoyBillyBob, I didn't say the Les Paul 2012 was exclusively for rhythm.

Being a rhythm guitarist, I find the Les Paul 2012 accommodates my strong tendency towards rhythm guitar.

I'm sure once I master to do licks, I won't be needing a different guitar :P

Harmonics101

I must have misunderstood what you were tryig to say. Bottom line is that this is an extremely versatile guitar. Hard to put it down.

So did you pull the trigger on this? I get a vicarious thrill when someone buys a great guitar.

Yes my good man, I bought it a week ago. It is freakin' amazing. I didn't expect it to be that versatile but it delivers all the goods a versatile guitarist needs and some. I don't think I'll ever be needing another guitar but we shall see. Honestly though, I got the ebony finish and its so sexy. I treat it like a ******* girlfriend. I'm so careful with it, I clean it daily and I play on it :). Thanx to Rabs, he helped me understand the mechanics of electric guitars, particularly les pauls before I bought it so that helped a huge amount. It made me more confident in buying such an expensive piece of machinery that I originally knew jack about. We Love you Gibson! [wub]

Yes my good man, I bought it a week ago. It is freakin' amazing. I didn't expect it to be that versatile but it delivers all the goods a versatile guitarist needs and some. I don't think I'll ever be needing another guitar but we shall see. Honestly though, I got the ebony finish and its so sexy. I treat it like a ******* girlfriend. I'm so careful with it, I clean it daily and I play on it :). Thanx to Rabs, he helped me understand the mechanics of electric guitars, particularly les pauls before I bought it so that helped a huge amount. It made me more confident in buying such an expensive piece of machinery that I originally knew jack about. We Love you Gibson! [wub]

Congrats on your new baby. It does a lot of things real well and loads of tone options available to you.

You made a great choice on a very versitile guitar.

I do love happy endings.

Congrats on your new baby. It does a lot of things real well and loads of tone options available to you.

You made a great choice on a very versitile guitar.

I do love happy endings.

Thanx a lot dude. I couldn't be happier. As long as I am alive, I will have the gibson. [thumbup]

Hello... Sorry I must have missed this post..

Sounds like you really got what you wanted and am happy any advice I gave helped (always glad to help someone find their Gibson).. But you had to go and find your baby and it sounds like you did a good job... Happy playing man [thumbup]

Have you posted pictures for us yet?

Hello... Sorry I must have missed this post..

Sounds like you really got what you wanted and am happy any advice I gave helped (always glad to help someone find their Gibson).. But you had to go and find your baby and it sounds like you did a good job... Happy playing man [thumbup]

Have you posted pictures for us yet?

Oh Cheers Rabs, no, no pictures yet, but that is certainly something to look into. :-({|=[thumbup]

• 2 weeks later...

the real question should be about the versatility of your amplifier....

I could be wrong about this but to what you said, not really. No matter how versatile an amp is, if you've got a shitty guitar that isn't versatile in the slightest, the sound and its range will not be versatile. Whereas if you have an extremely versatile guitar like this one being discussed or a nighthawk 2010/2011 even if you have a shitty amp that isn't versatile at all, you can still move around in the parameters of the guitar; even if the sound is shitty. It's a step forwards. The guitar controls the amp not the other way round. It all starts with the guitar. That's just my opinion. Like I said, I could be wrong but I don't think so. In any case, I got the new 30 watt Marshall amp with all its awesome effects so I'm well pleased. [thumbup]

Archived