Gibson Brands Forums

NGD - Advanced Jumbo

EuroAussie

So .... heres' the thing.

As often happens I actually wasnt looking for a guitar. However like this time last year there is global work conference that happens in Europe which I will attend at the end of the month. One of my coleagues will be arriving from the US for this whos a big fan of the band.

This time last year I took the opportunity to buy on Ebay the J-150 for $1400 and she brought it with her to Europe. It was one of the best deals I ever made and its a great guitar.

I took a casual look around just in case something special pops up this time round. Didnt find anything that took me, but then came across this AJ, which when I heard the sound clip blew me away. In the past some AJ's Ive played sounded quite flat and muddy but this one sounds just rich, alive, crisp and bloody powerful.

The background is that it was formerly in the private collection of Nashville musician Buddy Miller who sold it to the current owner, who is now selling it as he acquired a 44' D-18

These are the specs: 2002 AJ. It's from the Vintage Reissue series, so the scale length is that of the original Advanced Jumbos (25.5" versus the typical 24.9"). It has the '30s-style straight rosewood bridge with a bone (removable) saddle, ivoroid binding on the body and fretboard, nickel Grovers, and a firestripe guard.

The best thing was the price: $1500 which I reckon is a steal.

A couple pics:

aj1.jpg

aj2.jpg

And here's the clip that sold it for me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llObqVz9pis&list=UUHthYibNxLfuvlfad-77FRQ&index=7&feature=plcp

So now, its a three week wait until it arrives from Chicago with my coleague !

Also means, the Songwriter will probably get the cut, unless I really hate the AJ. Which still works as I could sell it locally for probably $2k, so its win win !

Now the wait begins ....

cheers,

EA

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great find, Mark!

I now have two Bozeman "Re-issue" style guitars: L-OO Legend and 1943 SJ--and they are both superb. That AJ looks and sounds like a keeper.

I'm convinced the last 10 years of Gibson acoustics are a new "golden age". As with any product made of organic materials, they are not all great, but there are an awful lot of good ones out there.

These are the specs: 2002 AJ. It's from the Vintage Reissue series, so the scale length is that of the original Advanced Jumbos (25.5" versus the typical 24.9").

Nice buy...I have one that I like alot...its my go to guitar when I go to a jam where I know there will be other guitars and banjos. That way I know it will be heard.

BTW...The AJ is typically 25.5" scale...its the short scale that's the oddball.

Great find, Mark!

I now have two Bozeman "Re-issue" style guitars: L-OO Legend and 1943 SJ--and they are both superb. That AJ looks and sounds like a keeper.

I'm convinced the last 10 years of Gibson acoustics are a new "golden age". As with any product made of organic materials, they are not all great, but there are an awful lot of good ones out there.

Yes, seems I will also. The Aaron Lewis SJ is a 51' re-issue and is my best sounding Gibson, trust the AJ will live up to pretty high expectations Nick !

Have to give you another amen there, Nick.. Twice in one day, people will start to talk about us...... ;) ;)

Eeeehhh, , , , is this a tuning ?

American idiomatic expression: daggum=dadgum=g*d d**n. Frquently used in Bible-belt states where use of the original expression considered socially unacceptable or morally objectionable. Just as "Jiminy Cricket"= JC, etc.

My father had a whole bunch of these expressions. He used them often, but swore up and down that he never swore.

We're a funny lot over here.....

American idiomatic expression: daggum=dadgum=g*d d**n. Frquently used in Bible-belt states where use of the original expression considered socially unacceptable or morally objectionable. Just as "Jiminy Cricket"= JC, etc.

My father had a whole bunch of these expressions. He used them often, but swore up and down that he never swore.

We're a funny lot over here.....

I know Nick - just went through a series of hilarious W.C. Fields clips. . .

Thanx for explaining.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-dxFh_aJuk&feature=related

E-minor7, I always meant to ask: what language do you speak at home? You often use English with a poetic flourish.

Red 333

I try my best to speak European, but often end up with some half weird spices in the soup. Know I might sound slightly strange from time to time – somebody even teased by calling me Shakespearean. Guess I have to live with it.

But a re-Q : Did you hear anything odd in the post above. If yes, I must be pretty far out in the big picture. . . .

Holy mackerel ~

I try my best to speak European, but often end up with some half weird spices in the soup. Know I might sound slightly strange from time to time – somebody even teased by calling me Shakespearean. Guess I have to live with it.

But a re-Q : Did you hear anything odd in the post above. If yes, I must be pretty far out in the big picture. . . .

Holy mackerel ~

Em7 is an international man of mystery, speaking in all the tongues of the old world......

Holy mackerel ~

European? They don't offer that in school here.

No, there was nothing in the posts above that was Shakesperean or poetic or slightly strange, but you have turned some interesting, highly original descriptive phrases in the past that seemed non-idiomatic of American English to me, so I was just wondering what influenced your use.

Red 333

European? They don't offer that in school here.

No, there was nothing in the posts above that was Shakesperean or poetic or slightly strange, but you have turned some interesting, highly original descriptive phrases in the past that seemed non-idiomatic of American English to me, so I was just wondering what influenced your use.

Red 333

Let's not bend a good thread Red 333 - trust me (and j45nick) when I say I try to do what I can.

Back to Advanced Jumbos.

Hey Ho what a surprise. Didn't see this comin'. . .

Thought you were out of gas after the great Bird.

Did you have an AJ sub-interest growing for a longer time.

If yes, as said, it missed me.

It's a good deal – enjoy (the waiting time also).

Honestly, this is a big surprise for me also Em7, but there is some 'thread' behind it.

I have to admit that since I started fingerpickin' in the last few months I felt pretty much GAS free as I felt all my guitars showed a side I never knew before and it felt like constant NGD's.

Having said that, I recall about 14 months ago making a trip to the Thomann, the European Mecca of guitar shops and trying out some 10 Gibbys. From that lot the two that really stood out was the HB TV (since acquired) and the Advanced Jumbo they had there.

But I didnt pursue an AJ further as I wasnt sure rosewood is my cup of tea and I have an ever love hate relationship with my Songwriter.

However when I came across this specific specimen, with the tone coming from the sample, at the price offered, with the opportunity to have it delivered to Europe for zero cost, I basically took a spontanous punt.

In the past I went with my instinct and have almost always been right, this one was one of those occasions, so I took the plunge.

I also felt that this could be a great fingerpickin' guitar due to its responsiveness and power.

As I said, if it doesnt work for me I can sell it locally at a profit, so there is no harm, but listening to the sample I have a feeling this is THE rosewood model Ive been hoping for. In other words, powerful, rich, but with focused, direct overtone rather than the 'splashy' overtones that seem to be characteristic of the Songwriter.

I still have a few weeks wait before she arrives on this side of the Atlantic, but for the price it was hard to pass by ...

However when I came across this specific specimen, with the tone coming from the sample, at the price offered, with the opportunity to have it delivered to Europe for zero cost, I basically took a spontanous punt.

In the past I went with my instinct and have almost always been right, this one was one of those occasions, so I took the plunge.

I've bought WAY too many guitars using that line of reasoning. (You can ask my wife, who's heard that story before.)

Archived