Gibson Brands Forums

Meet the new Iphone... Same as the old one

Rabs

So those than know or care the new Iphone has now been shown. They are still going through all of the boring software changes but essentially its an Iphone just the same but a bit thinner and taller.. Full specs http://www.apple.com/iphone/specs.html

Theres a live blog stream going on here

http://live.cnet.com/Event/CNETs_Apple_event_live_blog_Wednesday_September_12

I know theres loads of little things that are different. But at the end of the day the closed off system they have puts me off and as long as they stick to that then im just not interested. The design would have had to have been radically different I think for them to make a real impact. As it is.. More of the same.. Oh well.

8e2b3a91-6600-4722-8aca-6bd24c183615.jpg

bb38241b-ac38-430a-8aec-c8166eea4e8e.jpg

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Farnsbarns

So those than know or care the new Iphone has now been shown. They are still going through all of the boring software changes but essentially its an Iphone just the same but a bit thinner and taller..

Theres a live blog stream going on here

http://live.cnet.com/Event/CNETs_Apple_event_live_blog_Wednesday_September_12

I know theres loads of little things that are different. But at the end of the day the closed off system they have puts me off and as long as they stick to that then im just not interested. The design would have had to have been radically different I think for them to make a real impact. As it is.. More of the same.. Oh well.

8e2b3a91-6600-4722-8aca-6bd24c183615.jpg

Get the HTC One X. I am now running CM10 AOSP Android on mine with a genuine Linux 3.1 Kernel. The damned thing is crazy fast now.

Get the HTC One X. I am now running CM10 AOSP Android on mine with a genuine Linux 3.1 Kernel. The damned thing is crazy fast now.

I already have a Samsung GS3 :) it does everything I want and didnt cost me a penny (cos my old S1 sold for the same amount (£99) :))

Guest Farnsbarns

I already have a Samsung GS3 :) it does everything I want and didnt cost me a penny (cos my old S1 sold for the same amount (£99) :))

You on XDA-developers, Rabs? It was a close call between the HOX and SGSIII for me but then HTC sent me a free HOX and my mind was made up. Actually, I think I would have gone with the HOX anyway as I am not a fan of AMOLED Pentile matrices but the two phones are both bonkers and are very closely matched and I know some people like the vibrancy of the AMOLED regardless of accurate colours.

You on XDA-developers, Rabs? It was a close call between the HOX and SGSIII for me but then HTC sent me a free HOX and my mind was made up. Actually, I think I would have gone with the HOX anyway as I am not a fan of AMOLED Pentile matrices but the two phones are both bonkers and are very closely matched and I know some people like the vibrancy of the AMOLED regardless of accurate colours.

I used to work for a Mobile Phone computer game developer so know a fair amount about all of this.

I like the (super :))AMOLED+ personally, ive watched a few films on it and it was amazing quality.

Did you really think they would radically redesign the phone that put them on top? Were you expecting an octagon shaped phone? ;)

Well exactly.. I knew they were going to release the same old boring stuff.. But was hoping on the off chance that they do something radical. It makes sense to do that if you want to stay in the market.. Otherwise they are starting to offer stuff that will be inferior to the competition.

The new Iphone is gonna be $299 for the 32gb version.. The compitions phones all do the same thing and more and most you can get for under half of the price.

I wonder if the same people that by LP Studios (and dont care about bling or what people think) are the same people who go and buy Android etc as its the same comparism. They both do the same thing but one is way cheaper but just doesnt look as flashy :) :P

This phone is an absolute failure. I have a Samsung Galaxy SIII (the best phone money can buy) and the iPhone 5 has worse specs in every category when compared to the SIII. It's great to know that I can still fit an entire iPhone within the screen perimeter of my Galaxy SIII...........

If anyone needs proof, it's right here: http://mashable.com/2012/09/12/iphone-5-compared/

Not to mention the fact that Apple just gave Samsung and HTC all the info they need to sue the crapple out of them. They warned Apple of the consequences of releasing an LTE iPhone.

Guest Farnsbarns

I used to work for a Mobile Phone computer game developer so know a fair amount about all of this.

I like the (super :))AMOLED+ personally, ive watched a few films on it and it was amazing quality.

Yeah, they are much of a muchness. I've been developing for android for years so the presence of ROM and Kernal developers such as Xmoo, Football, 1984, TripNRaVeR et al on the HOX scene would have been enough for me to choose it but then, as I say, HTC sent me a free one so the decision was really made for me eventually. What's going on with SGSIII dev and custom ROMs? I haven't followed it at all.

TripNRaVeR (TripNDroid Mobile Engineering) has a fully working Jelly Bean based CyanogenMod10 and 3.1 kernal which has been maturing nicely for a couple of months. He built the kernal from NVidea's references and the only HTC stuff it contains is a few proprietary, closed source drivers. He has the NVidea pin MUXing and power controls working (Which HTC don,t yet!) so now I have a bout 8 days of standby, 10 hours talk and about 5 hours screen on. No S-OFF bootloader yet and no real progress but with HTC providing bootloader unlocking via htcDEV.com the only downside really is that one has to fastboot flash boot images separately from the ROM. ClockWorkMod Revocery can handle the update.zip, as can ROM manager. We also have a SuperSU.apk built in to CM10 which makes life easier.

Yeah, they are much of a muchness. I've been developing for android for years so the presence of ROM and Kernal developers such as Xmoo, Football, 1984, TripNRaVeR et al on the HOX scene would have been enough for me to choose it but then, as I say, HTC sent me a free one so the decision was really made for me eventually. What's going on with SGSIII dev and custom ROMs? I haven't followed it at all.

TripNRaVeR (TripNDroid Mobile Engineering) has a fully working Jelly Bean based CyanogenMod10 and 3.1 kernal which has been maturing nicely for a couple of months. He built the kernal from NVidea's references and the only HTC stuff it contains is a few proprietary, closed source drivers. He has the NVidea pin MUXing and power controls working (Which HTC don,t yet!) so now I have a bout 8 days of standby, 10 hours talk and about 5 hours screen on. No S-OFF bootloader yet and no real progress but with HTC providing bootloader unlocking via htcDEV.com the only downside really is that one has to fastboot flash boot images separately from the ROM. ClockWorkMod Revocery can handle the update.zip, as can ROM manager. We also have a SuperSU.apk built in to CM10 which makes life easier.

Yeah I havent really followed it much scince I stopped working in that enviroment. Unless you do it for a job its just way too much to keep up with. And oddly enough even though I could mod my phone I just dont bother with it cos im happy with the way it currently works (the if it aint broken dont try and fix it attitude)..

My mate has jellybean on his phone already as he loves doing that sort of thing and says its really good.. It gets rid of alot of the jerking montions on the phone and is way smoother... Apparently it comes out to the public in October, so not long now :)

"He has the NVidea pin MUXing and power controls working (Which HTC don,t yet!) so now I have a bout 8 days of standby, 10 hours talk and about 5 hours screen on."

Thats impressive [thumbup]

Headphone jack at the bottom huh? Can't say I like that....and i see a new interface for the USB cable...interesting.

Yes they have changed the plug sockets so you now need to buy an adapter for each docking station you have... (or probably what they are hoping, that people buy new ones).

Kinda lame if you ask me... When I did have an iphone years ago I bought a docking station which was basically a small bit of plastic with the apple logo on it. It didnt even come with a USB cable that I had to buy seperatly and they were like £20 each.. What a rip off

Archived