Gibson Brands Forums

Brazilian Rosewood

Californiaman

I have an old Harmony acoustic guitar with a beautiful Brazilian rosewood fretboard.

The guitar is shot. There are visible cracks in the sound board. The neck, made of some basswood, is now bowed slightly.

I'm thinking of salvaging the rosewood fretboard to use at a later time. I'd like to refrett it too.

What do you think I should do with it?

Guest Farnsbarns

Probably not much more to buy a brw board than it will cost to salvage it by the time you've got it of and got the frets out. Then there's no telling if it will be thick enough for what you want yo do with it and with existing fret slots you're limited to the current scale length, fret tang size and depth etc etc. Sell the whole thing and let someone else take all that on.

Considering Brazilian rosewood is illegal to harvest or at least transport over international borders he couldn't get a new one. I'd salvage it in the event you can find a purpose for it or you can probably make a little coin selling it to someone else. I'd just be sure to keep some proof on where it came from.

Guest Farnsbarns

Considering Brazilian rosewood is illegal to harvest or at least transport over international borders he couldn't get a new one. I'd salvage it in the event you can find a purpose for it or you can probably make a little coin selling it to someone else. I'd just be sure to keep some proof on where it came from.

A lot of people think it's hard to get...

http://www.madeirainc.com/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2

It really isn't and it's not even prohibitively expensive.

Depends on the quality of the grain and the thickness, Braz isn't hard to get legally, but it is getting harder to get really good straight grain fretboards. I would keep the neck whole until I decided what to do with it as a fretboard is fairly easy too damage. If it's not great Braz then I'd list it for sale and see if somebody panics thinking it's impossible to find it now.

It's good to know that there is a supply of it out there.

I've seen some crazy prices on guitars stating that they are made of Braz.

The only reason I'm inquiring is that my guitar guy told me when he looked the old guitar over that it was a nice piece of Braz.

The guitar needs a reset, but that's too costly at this time. I may be able to still do something with it though. It'll certainly need a fret job. The body of the guitar is too far gone to do anything about.

I think I'll keep the neck.

You know a guy who can tell if it's Braz by looking at it?

msp_lol.gif

That's some funny sh!t right there!

That's what he said.

He's one of those granola guys.

You know the type. "Columbian Gold. Harvested just after the first rains of 2011. A strong heady sencimella with a hint of indica that lingers long."

You know... one of those guys.

Archived