Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Ripper Rebuild.

Searcy

Crack3-1.jpg

Ok, time to address the crack in the body. At some point this bass got wet and stayed wet for some time. This caused the body to de-laminate at the glue joint.Because this is water damage it means that the dimension of the wood has changed a bit so trying to pump glue into the crack and clamping it closed likely wouldn't work for long. My friend and master luthier and repair lady Amy Hopkins advised me to spline or splice the crack and anyone who ignores Amy's advice is a fool.

Crack5-1.jpg

So first I drill a hole at the end of the crack. This will help to stop the crack from creeping any more and give the saw blade we will be using a place to stop.

Crack6-1.jpg

Crack7.jpg

Next, run a circular saw up the crack to make it more uniform in shape. This will make it easier to fit a splice into the crack and it will clean out the rotten wood and dirt that might be in there.

Crack8.jpg

That's better.

Crack9.jpg

Crack10.jpg

Now I dig through the junk in my shop until I uncover the band saw and cut a scrap bit of rock maple I have into shims of various thicknesses.

Crack17.jpg

I sort through the shims to see which one best fits the crack in the body.

IMG_20121012_172621.jpg

Once I find the one I want I get the wood glue...

IMG_20121012_173112.jpg

... and glue it in place.

• Upvote 2

IMG_20121013_091145.jpg

Once the glue is set I fire up the Porter Cable with some 80 grit and level to splice.

IMG_20121013_091413.jpg

There is a slight gap at the edge so that will have to be filled in the finishing process but all in all it's a decent match I think.

IMG_20121013_091439.jpg

Still have some sanding to do to get the color right on the water damage.

Is it even possible to get the water damage colored part to match?

Umm..yea...it looks like the spline was done right, and the appearance it has makes it look like it was. Besides, I don't know how anyone could have any control of the color or the placement when you are dealing with a thin piece of wood on the side, and the spline goes pretty much where it needs to be.

Said all that to say, that if it were to be left visible, it would still have a coolness factor to it, and still look "good" in a way even if it was still visable.

It's interesting to watch. Don't see water damage being fixed every day. Especially appearance.

• Upvote 1

Is it even possible to get the water damage colored part to match?

Umm..yea...it looks like the spline was done right, and the appearance it has makes it look like it was. Besides, I don't know how anyone could have any control of the color or the placement when you are dealing with a thin piece of wood on the side, and the spline goes pretty much where it needs to be.

Said all that to say, that if it were to be left visible, it would still have a coolness factor to it, and still look "good" in a way even if it was still visable.

It's interesting to watch. Don't see water damage being fixed every day. Especially appearance.

I have honestly never tried to get out water damage this bad before. I think that's about as good as it's going to look. Now come the deciding time. Do I leave it blond and show off all the lumps it's had over the years or do I cover up all the damage and make it look new with a fresh coat of white?

Well, I decided that since this is MY bass and I don;t mind if people see all the work that's gone into bringing it back, I'm going to leave it blond.

Here is a sloppy shot of it with the first sealing layer of poly.

1stcoat4.jpg

I think once it's drop filled and polished and all the hardware is back in place you will not likely notice the splice until you really look.

Thanks guys. I've done this type of finish before and it takes a while. Updates will be slow for a little bit. Plus I'm headed out to Ceder Rapids this weekend so there's that.

In the meantime here's some fun stuff.

BigR.jpg

Rip.jpg

79_gibson-ripper_zpseff89261.jpg

ripper-06.jpg

ripper-08.jpg

• Upvote 1

Ok, so I have used an entire can of Minwax poly on the body and head stock to act as sort of a sealing coat on the bass.

IMG_20121018_081604.jpg

Next will be many coats of brush on poly to get the drop fills and the deep look I'm going for. There will be lots of block wet sanding in the next 2 weeks.

I decided to go with an odd color shift for the head stock. The original blond Rippers had a black faced head stock. I was afraid that the black tuners would get lost against a black faced head stock so I decided paint the edges and most of the back of the head stock black and leave the face natural.

IMG_20121020_065036.jpg

IMG_20121020_065007.jpg

IMG_20121020_074602.jpg

Spent a little time today digging through the lower part of the shop trying to see if I has any finishing supplies left. It's been over two years since anyone has touched any of this stuff. Most of it is sitting exactly where the flood waters left it.

IMG_20121028_173652.jpg

The buffer was found under the stairs and I was glad to see that it still worked.

IMG_20121028_173933.jpg

I also found a sealed bottle of TruOil that will be used for the back of the neck if it hasn't turned to stone.

After sanding the head stock down to #600 I decided to hit it with the buffer and see what we had. This buffing compound is the best stuff ever.

IMG_20121027_172847.jpg

IMG_20121028_194409.jpg

IMG_20121028_195954.jpg

After a half hour or so were arrive here....

Well why not..?

IMG_20121029_044138.jpg

Now it's time to move on to the body...

Picked up a new iPhone 4S last night. If you're getting a new contract or if it's your time to upgrade they are free at BestBuy right now. So I thought I'd use it to show off the progress on the Ripper body. Need to do a little more sanding and buffing today. It's a lot more tricky than the head stock because the body has contours and the finish can be thin it the corners making sand through a problem. I've only done that twice so far.

th_87ABE9D0-D0A2-4AC4-848A-C9DF7E4A36F6-645-0000010B7ACA31D0.jpg

Click on the image to see a 19 sec video of the bass.

• Upvote 1

Ok. got the final sanding and buffing on the body.

82383EAF-1219-4F53-B70B-B31CFFD18AB1-645-0000012B3B2011FF.jpg

D166AAE2-451D-4482-9E6D-89A828E1DDDA-645-0000012A6A5E00F4.jpg

It matches the head stock now.

FF4DE975-2BD8-46B7-937F-CC249F0B6B09-645-0000012B0A1DBAC3.jpg

Now it's time to start the Tru Oil on the back of the neck.

7B6125F2-797B-4EBA-93B1-3461C772B0DD-645-0000012BEB0F58E0.jpg

These are just hand rubbed layers that build up as slick as you feel like going with it.