Gibson Brands Forums

Randy Rhoads - Dee

Ryan H

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Been learning this recently. Got about half of it down.

(Not original obviously. Can't find an original recording. This is the best cover I could find).

I don/t get it. A Metal god tries his hand at fingerstyle and barely makes it. No flow and actually played badly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWSUD3ZmqT8&feature=related

Now guy like Tommy Emanuell is most likely not that well known by that crowd but..... OMG!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ubVGiyAhkY

Some guys need to open their minds to what is out there.

I don/t get it. A Metal god tries his hand at fingerstyle and barely makes it. No flow and actually played badly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=fvwp&v=qzqfClsQUR8&NR=1

Now guy like Tommy Emanuell is most likely not that well known by that crowd but..... OMG!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ubVGiyAhkY

Some guys need to open their minds to what is out there.

Dude, that's not Randy. That's a cover by someone else.

I saw Randy play this in concert.

And he flows like nobody I have ever seen......... [thumbup]

Dude, that's not Randy. That's a cover by someone else.

I saw Randy play this in concert.

And he flows like nobody I have ever seen......... [thumbup]

Exactly. To say that Rhoads has no flow, and plays HIS OWN SONG badly, is insulting. He wrote the song for his mother, by the way. And I, along with many others, consider it a beautiful piece. Emmannuel is an amazing guitarist in his own right, but I'm sure even He appreciates Randy's level of skill and his influence on guitar playing. I don't see many Other "Metal gods" trying out Classical.

Exactly. To say that Rhoads has no flow, and plays HIS OWN SONG badly, is insulting. He wrote the song for his mother, by the way. And I, along with many others, consider it a beautiful piece. Emmannuel is an amazing guitarist in his own right, but I'm sure even He appreciates Randy's level of skill and his influence on guitar playing. I don't see many Other "Metal gods" trying out Classical.

I fixed it and again the guy is struggling. I respect him to no end for trying to expand what he does but he is just a student in this style and a beginner at that.

Have you listened to Tommy Emanuell or explored what he does?

Come on man open up your mind to what is out there.

I fixed it and not any difference.

Listen again and how about a comment on Tommy Emanuell?

That is not him either. That is somebody else playing it.

I love Tommy Emanuel. I have seen him in concert. He is a great player.

HE HAS NOTHING ON RANDY RHOADS!!!!!

Randy was also a great acoustic player.

I fixed it and not any difference.

Listen again and how about a comment on Tommy Emanuell?

Well theres a Tommy Emanuell and theres a Randy Rhoads.

Theres no Tommy Rhoads.

Your point is invalid. You insult a guitarist and post a video of someone covering his song.

Borrow the album.

You will hear the real person playing it.

And you will find no fault with it at all; as you are obviously trying to do.

Open your mind my friend. [biggrin]

So no comments on Tommy Emanuell?

Sorry you can't hear what he does. I like Randy Rhodes. Great metal player and opened up a lot of stuff to the genre but he is no finger stylist as much as he was working towards that end.

So no comments on Tommy Emanuell?

Sorry you can't hear what he does. I like Randy Rhodes. Great metal player and opened up a lot of stuff to the genre but he is no finger stylist as much as he was working towards that end.

He did, look two posts above.

](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

So what do you think of Tommy Emanuell?

I can't seem to get anyone to comment on his playing. Do you thing Randy does that style as well as he does or even comes close?

I like Randy's innovations in metal. I am not insulting him at all. Please don't spin this.

So what do you think of Tommy Emanuell?

I can't seem to get anyone to comment on his playing. Do you thing Randy does that style as well as he does or even comes close?

I like Randy's innovations in metal. I am not insulting him at all. Please don't spin this.

You Are insulting him. You're stating that he is unskilled in the classical style, which is untrue. And you're hijacking this topic by Insistently asking about Tommy Emmanuel. I did not make this topic to Compare Tommy Emmanuel and Randy Rhoads. I made it because I found a nice piece of music by Randy that few people know about, and I wanted to share it. With all due respect, get the hell off my thread if all you're going to do is fangirl over Tommy Emmanuel.

You Are insulting him. You're stating that he is unskilled in the classical style, which is untrue. And you're hijacking this topic by Insistently asking about Tommy Emmanuel. I did not make this topic to Compare Tommy Emmanuel and Randy Rhoads. I made it because I found a nice piece of music by Randy that few people know about, and I wanted to share it. With all due respect, get the hell off my thread if all you're going to do is fangirl over Tommy Emmanuel.

Your Thread!!! LMAO

I wont post to this topic and let you believe what you will.

Randy would be able to show Sharon Ibsin a thing or two by your evaluation.

I like Randy it's your ilk that does not have a clue.

Your Thread!!! LMAO

I wont post to this topic and let you believe what you will.

Randy would be able to show Sharon Ibsen a thing or two by your evaluation.

I like Randy it's your ilk that does not have a clue.

I'm pretty sure you're the one who's alone in his opinions on this topic man. Think what you will, not a single person has agreed with you even remotely since your first reply.

To be fair you'd have to compare a 24 year old Tommy Emanuel to Randy Rhoads, as he died at 25 and recorded that (I believe) at age 24. Out of all of the "Too young to die" crowd, Tandy's the only one that was obviously on his way to being a more than he was. His pinnacle was in no way behind him.

To be fair you'd have to compare a 24 year old Tommy Emanuel to Randy Rhoads, as he died at 25 and recorded that (I believe) at age 24. Out of all of the "Too young to die" crowd, Tandy's the only one that was obviously on his way to being a more than he was. His pinnacle was in no way behind him.

Here is something that Tommy Emmanuel did when he was 24. That's only one guitar, no overdubs.

Dixie McGuire

Everyone seems to be taking me the wrong way. I think Randy was great but just a student of classical and fingerstyle. There is nothing insulting about that but I don't think he was accomplished in this style but perhaps on his way.

It's silly to try and say this guy is better than that guy and I that is not my intention. Just stop the hero worship. If you want to get into classical or fingerstyle there are many better players to start with.

It's silly to try and say this guy is better than that guy and I that is not my intention. Just stop the hero worship. If you want to get into classical or fingerstyle there are many better players to start with.

A little hypocritical are you? You're saying to stop the hero worship and yet you continue to shove Emmanuel in our faces. And to correct you, there is no BETTER player to start with. Music is subjective. There are only Different players to start with. I'm not worshipping Randy, and he isn't my hero. I just believe he was a great player and made a lot of great music, just like you believe the same for Emmanuel. We're musicians of different tastes, and that's expected in a subjective topic. So shall we end this debate and get back to what's important: The music, not the musicians?

-Ryan

Randy was a classical player that got into Heavy Metal, it is said (by Ozzy) that Randy planned to quit his band to play classical full time.

Actually Randy did not even like Black Sabbath, it took numerous attempts to get him to play for Ozzy.

Now about Dee, it sounds to me that Randy wrote that song on the spot or shortly before recording it because in the recording session included in the Tribute album he is pretty much getting it down as it is being recorded.

A little hypocritical are you? You're saying to stop the hero worship and yet you continue to shove Emmanuel in our faces. And to correct you, there is no BETTER player to start with. Music is subjective. There are only Different players to start with. I'm not worshipping Randy, and he isn't my hero. I just believe he was a great player and made a lot of great music, just like you believe the same for Emmanuel. We're musicians of different tastes, and that's expected in a subjective topic. So shall we end this debate and get back to what's important: The music, not the musicians?

-Ryan

That sounds like a great idea.

Let's remain friends and agree to disagree.

Did any of them jump from 128,000 feet in the Stratosphere and break the speed of sound? Nope :P

I guess not. They were too busy laying back and jamming.

Now that's cool daddy-o.

So Felix was a hard core speed shreader while Top Cat was just a laid back bluesy kind of guy.

Damn we can't even agree on a cartoon!!

Variety is the spice of life I guess.

Actually we should start a band because we would have all the bases covered. Perhaps we can call ourselves Chit and Shineola. You get to pick who you want to be first and then we can argue about it and write a song.

Medium tempo blues shuffle in A

(pick up) | A | E

He was the | Chit I was the | shine

F#m D

I wrote the song |But he said "It's mine"

A E

Oh baby |Why can't we see eye to

A D | A E

eye.

KINDA HARD TO GET IT TO FORMAT CORRECTLY BUT 4 BEATS PER CHORD EXCEPT THE F#M GETS SIX AND THE FOUR CHORDS AT THE END (THE TURNAROUND) GET TWO BEATS EACH.

THE CHORDS START AT 'CHIT'. THE LYRICS BEFOR THAT IS THE PICK UP (1/4 NOTE TRIPLET).

It's a hit!!!

Archived