Gibson Brands Forums

Randy Rhoads - Dee

Ryan H

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh god...you're really taking this serious.

By the way, you can call me Ryan ;)

And to answer your question...maybe.

Hey Ryan.

Not really serious just trying to have a laugh. Recording with a handheld digital recorder like the Tascam DR-07 mkII I used is so easy and it comes out pretty good.

A few buttons to push and your done plus the song is just made up on the spot.

The Martin HD-28V makes it easy to get a decent sound as well.

I fixed it and again the guy is struggling. I respect him to no end for trying to expand what he does but he is just a student in this style and a beginner at that.

Hello! Randy has been playing classical guitar since He was 6. Her mother didn't even let Him touch an electric until He did His "homework". Period. Cheers... Bence

Randy was a classical player that got into Heavy Metal, it is said (by Ozzy) that Randy planned to quit his band to play classical full time.

Actually Randy did not even like Black Sabbath, it took numerous attempts to get him to play for Ozzy.

Now about Dee, it sounds to me that Randy wrote that song on the spot or shortly before recording it because in the recording session included in the Tribute album he is pretty much getting it down as it is being recorded.

Hello Riffster! Exactly! If You listen to His spotlight solos from His Quiet Riot-era, You will hear some parts got incorporated into what became the "Dee". I personally think - as far as my opinion counts - it's a complete, and elegant piece of music. Not overplayed, everything in place. At that time it was trendy to put a guitar solo on a record ("Eruption" on VH1, "Battle Axe" on Metal Heatlh from Quiet Riot). It was a very elegant choice of Randy to put a nice, simple classical solo on Blizzard in contrast to the previously mentioned full-blast lead guitar works. Cheers... Bence

• 2 months later...

I hate to reopen a "dead thread" but I thought I would just put this out there:

http://library.csun.edu/igra/bios/rhoads/early.html

Randy was PRIMARILY a classical guitar player. He started playing guitar in that style, and classical music has been described as "innate" in him. He was a guitar teacher and taught this style as well. After his first big gig, he spent most of his earnings on what Ozzy described as a "very expensive classical guitar", which is what the "Dee Studio Out-takes" track on the Tribute album was recorded on.

Post-death, more than a few of his family members and friends have been quoted in interviews stating that Randy would have left the heavy-metal scene within six months or so, because he wanted to go back to school and get a music degree and continue with his passion for classical guitar.

Just saying. I love blurting out facts about Randy Rhoads when given the chance. [laugh]

This is a classical guitar virtuoso:

And this topic isn't "Link your favorite classical guitar virtuoso's".

It's about Randy Rhoads. Who was a classical guitar virtuoso. It's not up for debate; it's a fact. I won't claim he was the best guitarist ever; that would be a lie. But he Was a great guitarist, and he Was a classical guitar virtuoso.

-Ryan

And this topic isn't "Link your favorite classical guitar virtuoso's".

It's about Randy Rhoads. Who was a classical guitar virtuoso. It's not up for debate; it's a fact. I won't claim he was the best guitarist ever; that would be a lie. But he Was a great guitarist, and he Was a classical guitar virtuoso.

-Ryan

I'm also a fan of Randy Rhoads, seen him play the clubs with Queit Riot back in the early days. Its no doubt and a fact he is a superb guitarists. He got interested in classical guitar, but his tragic death halted further development in that style of playing. Dee was a nice classical type piece, but hardly considered a "virtuso classical piece" IMHO. The two classical guitar videos posted by Cowboy Billy are examples of "virtuso classical guitar" playing IMHO. Randy was a virtuso in Rock/Metal guitar playing at the time of his death, but nowhere near "virtuso classical guitar" playing IMHO..

Hello Riffster! Exactly! If You listen to His spotlight solos from His Quiet Riot-era, You will hear some parts got incorporated into what became the "Dee". I personally think - as far as my opinion counts - it's a complete, and elegant piece of music. Not overplayed, everything in place. At that time it was trendy to put a guitar solo on a record ("Eruption" on VH1, "Battle Axe" on Metal Heatlh from Quiet Riot). It was a very elegant choice of Randy to put a nice, simple classical solo on Blizzard in contrast to the previously mentioned full-blast lead guitar works. Cheers... Bence

Just to clarify that "BATTLE AXE" on Quiet Riot Metal Health album was not composed and played by Randy Rhoads....you did know that right? It was by Carlos Cavazo.

Dee was a nice classical type piece, but hardly considered a "virtuso classical piece" IMHO. The two classical guitar videos posted by Cowboy Billy are examples of "virtuso classical guitar" playing IMHO. Randy was a virtuso in Rock/Metal guitar playing at the time of his death, but nowhere near "virtuso classical guitar" playing IMHO..

You're determining his status as a "virtuoso classical guitarist" based on a single song? I'm sure he did much more than just Dee. That song was written for his mother, so it wasn't meant to be a "virtuoso" piece.

-Ryan

I hate to reopen a "dead thread" but I thought I would just put this out there:

http://library.csun.edu/igra/bios/rhoads/early.html

Randy was PRIMARILY a classical guitar player. He started playing guitar in that style, and classical music has been described as "innate" in him. He was a guitar teacher and taught this style as well. After his first big gig, he spent most of his earnings on what Ozzy described as a "very expensive classical guitar", which is what the "Dee Studio Out-takes" track on the Tribute album was recorded on.

Post-death, more than a few of his family members and friends have been quoted in interviews stating that Randy would have left the heavy-metal scene within six months or so, because he wanted to go back to school and get a music degree and continue with his passion for classical guitar.

Just saying. I love blurting out facts about Randy Rhoads when given the chance. [laugh]

From what I remember, Randy mostly taught basic guitar lessons and he did teach students rock tunes when the student requested to learn a popular rock tune at the time. Musonia was this tiny music school that was located in North Hollywood on Laurel Canyon. I use to go there when I was a kid and another music store just down the street called Astro Music.

Randy got more interested in classical playing much later near the time of his tragic death.

Randy never liked guitar lessons when he was a kid, and disliked classical guitar lessons....

You're determining his status as a "virtuoso classical guitarist" based on a single song? I'm sure he did much more than just Dee. That song was written for his mother, so it wasn't meant to be a "virtuoso" piece.

-Ryan

Do you have other pieces of Randy that exhihibt his virtuosity in classical guitar playing? How does someone can be considered a virtuso without showing great proficiency, be it a audio recording or a video?

Do you have other pieces of Randy that exhihibt his virtuosity in classical guitar playing? How does someone can be considered a virtuso without showing great proficiency, be it a audio recording or a video?

I'm sure there are hundreds of amazing virtuoso guitar players who have never gotten on Youtube. Hell, you can't even find an Original recording of Dee on Youtube; only covers. Just because you haven't heard him play some crazy amazing classical piece, doesn't mean he wasn't a virtuoso. Unfortunately the recordings just aren't there. There's no point in arguing; you can look back at the other replies and realize that it's you and Bill against the rest of us. I'm sure you understand majority rule.

-Ryan

I'm sure there are hundreds of amazing virtuoso guitar players who have never gotten on Youtube. Hell, you can't even find an Original recording of Dee on Youtube; only covers. Just because you haven't heard him play some crazy amazing classical piece, doesn't mean he wasn't a virtuoso. Unfortunately the recordings just aren't there. There's no point in arguing; you can look back at the other replies and realize that it's you and Bill against the rest of us. I'm sure you understand majority rule.

-Ryan

If there are no recordings of Rany playing any classical pieces what do you base your opinion on?

Some people just enjoy arguing.

I don't get the debate here. Nobody is discrediting Rhoads ability.

He was a fantastic player. But I wouldn't go as far as claiming virtuosity.

Proficient yes, virtuoso? I don't think so. By definition a virtuoso is a master.

A master wouldn't be going back to complete a musical degree. A master would be teaching it.

Segovia was a virtuoso.

Just because a list on the internet claims someone a virtuoso doesn't make it true.

A quick google and here is a list I found of "rock guitar virtuoso's"

Whose claim is this?

List Of Guitar Virtuosos ( Version 7.0 )

Here's the list in no particular order . . .

Buckethead

Steve Vai

Randy Rhoads

Eddie Van Halen

Yngwie Malmsteen

Paul Gilbert

Fredrik Akesson

Paul Gilbert

Phil X

Rusty Cooley

Jimi Hendrix

Joe Walsh

Pete Townshend

Marc Rizzo

Dave Mustaine

Chris Broderick

Joe Satriani

John Petrucci

Eric Johnson

Herman Li ( I know, but he is an awesome guitar player. )

Slash - Formely known as Saul Hudson

Tom Morello

Steve Ouimette

Doug Aldrich

Zakk Wylde

Ted Nugent

Now I love Hendrix. To where I have him inked on my arm, but he was no virtuoso.

A pioneer yes. virtuoso? No.

I bet Slash would find it humorous.And I can't even imagine what Joe Walsh would come up with.

Just because you read it on the internet doesn't make it true.

I wouldn't throw that term around so loosely. True masters have earned that respect. It's extremely rare for any human in their 20's to achieve virtuoso/master status in any instrument.

I respectfully disagree with these claims.

And I say that as a fan of his.

If there are no recordings of Rany playing any classical pieces what do you base your opinion on?

Off of the wealth of information about Randy's influences, capabilities and preferences. This is one of those "if a tree falls in the forest..." kind of questions. His legacy is more than enough.

-Ryan

"He was a fantastic player. But I wouldn't go as far as claiming virtuosity.

Proficient yes, virtuoso? I don't think so. By definition a virtuoso is a master.

A master wouldn't be going back to complete a musical degree. A master would be teaching it.

Segovia was a virtuoso."

Mash Here

Randy DID teach.....

I know of several virtuoso's that never got a degree period, much less "went back" to complete one....I know several "masters" that never taught......all of that is a moot point here.

I would think playing with a music school ensemble at the age of 8 leads one to think "virtuoso" or at least was the case with everyone from Motzart to Marty Stuart......

anyway, you can lead a horse to water....... :-({|=

I know of several virtuoso's that never got a degree period, much less "went back" to complete one....I know several "masters" that never taught......all of that is a moot point here.

Apparently the definition of "virtuoso" and "master" is very subjective and you claim you know several of each?

Perhaps I'm more critical in my take of what a master is but I can honestly say at 51 years of age, and playing off and on my entire life, and knowing countless musicians in my life experience I can honestly say I don't personally know a single virtuoso or a single master.

I know plenty of very skilled and talented players and have been blessed to jam with many over the years.

Either we have a very different take on what a virtuoso is or you live in master mecca.

or because I have been involved in music since I was 3, have two different degrees involving music(both performance and education), have been fortunate enough to be in the circles of the best of the best in the area that I live, I have actually been exposed to more master's and virtuosos than you?

I can honestly say at 42 years of age, you should be careful of who you doubt, especially when you are, admittedly, just an "off and on player".

Either way, there is no reason to be an *** about a difference of opinion concerning someone's skill level that is, by all accounts, above the two of us....

or because I have been involved in music since I was 3, have two different degrees involving music(both performance and education), have been fortunate enough to be in the circles of the best of the best in the area that I live, I have actually been exposed to more master's and virtuosos than you?

I can honestly say at 42 years of age, you should be careful of who you doubt, especially when you are, admittedly, just an "off and on player".

Either way, there is no reason to be an *** about a difference of opinion concerning someone's skill level that is, by all accounts, above the two of us....

LMAO,,,,

Well excuse me Oh Great One.. Shall I bow to your arrogance now or would you prefer I come there and cower in the shadow of your greatness.

It's also been my experience that true talent is usually much more humble and have less need to prove their greatness, so if I may profess yours is self proclaimed.

Geez,, I feel so pathetic and small now.. thanks.

Archived