Gibson Brands Forums

Randy Rhoads - Dee

Ryan H

LMAO,,,,

Well excuse me Oh Great One.. Shall I bow to your arrogance now or would you prefer I come there and cower in the shadow of your greatness.

It's also been my experience that true talent is usually much more humble and have less need to prove their greatness, so if I may profess yours is self proclaimed.

Geez,, I feel so pathetic and small now.. thanks.

I never proclaimed my greatness but merely explained to you how I came to my assessment of this musician through the fact that I have actually been around virtuoso and masters, again something that admittedly, you have not.

Sorry you feel so pathetic and small bud, but I can understand why you do.... [laugh]

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I loved Randy. I liked him in Quiet Riot, and saw him (from the front row) play twice in Cardiff (Blizzard of Oz and Diary of a Madman tours) with Ozzy. I had been a die hard Sabbath (i.e.Iommi) fan, but Randy blew me away. Total Rock God.

But, I also saw Segovia, Julian Bream and John Williams play - up close, in classical concerts. Randy was looking to get to play at the level these guys played... and maybe one day he would have got there.... but he was not there when he sadly died. End of story. They had great, long careers, he did not. Sad but true.

I loved Randy. I liked him in Quiet Riot, and saw him (from the front row) play twice in Cardiff (Blizzard of Oz and Diary of a Madman tours) with Ozzy. I had been a die hard Sabbath (i.e.Iommi) fan, but Randy blew me away. Total Rock God.

But, I also saw Segovia, Julian Bream and John Williams play - up close, in classical concerts. Randy was looking to get to play at the level these guys played... and maybe one day he would have got there.... but he was not there when he sadly died. End of story. They had great, long careers, he did not. Sad but true.

Well said. +1

Looks Like i'm way lat e on this thread but it did conclude as I would have surmised it. Dee is a nice but fairly simple classical piece. I love Randy Rhoads. I have had a polka dot V tattooed on my arm for almost 30 years although it looks like some kind of deranged chicken now. msp_scared.gif

Anyway, Tommy Emmanuel is a brilliant and truly natural guitarist but it is an apples and oranges comparison. Randy was a student of classical not a master of it. I believe if he would have lived he probably would have eventually become a "master". I would also say that I doubt Segovia or Tommy Emmanuel could pull off the feel of Diary of a Madman, Over The Mountain or any of the "Heavy Metal' Style with the natural feel that Randy had for it. Not that the couldn't but it would be "forced" ...

My 2 C's

Andy

As the OP, I would like to request that this topic be closed to prevent any further necrobumping. The topic just turned into a giant debate about how good of a guitarist Randy was, which was never my intention. If somebody in a position of authority could please let this topic die while there's still some sanity left in it, I would appreciate it.

Regards,

-Ryan

Where did I say it was?

After reading your post in question again, you are right, but Randy's Dee was recoreded way before Carlos Cavaso recorded Battle Axe. So Dee was not not recorded after battle axe, as what your post implied.

Hello Riffster! Exactly! If You listen to His spotlight solos from His Quiet Riot-era, You will hear some parts got incorporated into what became the "Dee". I personally think - as far as my opinion counts - it's a complete, and elegant piece of music. Not overplayed, everything in place. At that time it was trendy to put a guitar solo on a record ("Eruption" on VH1, "Battle Axe" on Metal Heatlh from Quiet Riot). It was a very elegant choice of Randy to put a nice, simple classical solo on Blizzard in contrast to the previously mentioned full-blast lead guitar works. Cheers... Bence

First, why are we comparing a classical piece to finger style music? Oh, they both use fingerpicking. So what

Second, why do we assume Randy was not a virtuoso, just for the lack of technicality in Dee? Like mentioned, it was written for his mom.

A virtuoso doesn't need to have a degree. In an objective sense, a virtuoso plays fast. Randy was considered a virtuoso at metal. Classical - it's hard to tell as we only have one recording. He could've become a technical master without obtaining a degree.

First, why are we comparing a classical piece to finger style music? Oh, they both use fingerpicking. So what

Second, why do we assume Randy was not a virtuoso, just for the lack of technicality in Dee? Like mentioned, it was written for his mom.

A virtuoso doesn't need to have a degree. In an objective sense, a virtuoso plays fast. Randy was considered a virtuoso at metal. Classical - it's hard to tell as we only have one recording. He could've become a technical master without obtaining a degree.

Looks like there may be some hope for this topic yet...

Well said.

-Ryan

I hate to be "That Guy" again, but virtuoso doesn't mean playing fast. It's all right there in the dictionary

Merriam-Websters.com's 3rd definition. "one who excels in the technique of an art; especially : a highly skilled musical performer"

While speed may be implied, since to be highly skilled you must posses all or most of the skill involved in that art, that's not all it boils down to.

Archived