Gibson Brands Forums

wheres the 60's spirit now ?

blindboygrunt

driving to work this morning was made a lot mire fun by the rollin stones doom and gloom coming on the radio , i think it gets better with each listen ... lyrics good , mcks diction spot on , doesnt 'sound like' it was just spat out for the sake of it ..... but anyway , thats not my point ....

5 live stones dates announed yesterday , rumours of glastonbury headline (which would be dissappointing if they dont do it ) greatest hits album coming etc .... theyre in a media spin for sure ....

tickets already selling for £11,000 .....

long way from the dirty little brats from the sixties .....

the only people who are gonna see these guys are the likes of bankers , company directors an other members of high society , the very people that rock n rolls kicking against .tickets bought for little other reason than they are the 'must have ' items this year , blond trophy wives rushing to the high street to buy appropriate clothes so they can look all rockchick ... arriving in aston martins and then having the sheer audacity to dance to i cant get no satisfaction !! makes me wanna puke to be honest..... what do u all think ?

sixties didnt do much for them did it ? and they were the middle of it all ..... and mcartney's no better !!

:D

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the only people who are gonna see these guys are the likes of bankers , company directors an other members of high society , the very people that rock n rolls kicking against .tickets bought for little other reason than they are the 'must have ' items this year , blond trophy wives rushing to the high street to buy appropriate clothes so they can look all rockchick ... arriving in aston martins and then having the sheer audacity to dance to i cant get no satisfaction !! makes me wanna puke to be honest..... what do u all think ?

sixties didnt do much for them did it ? and they were the middle of it all ..... and mcartney's no better !!

:D

Well clearly the sixties did a whole lot for them ;-)

Not sure I get your point though....if you're saying they've sold out then who hasn't? Many of the big talents from the 60s who survived have made a whole lot of money from their art & why not? If you don't like 'em, then don't pay to see 'em. I saw them back in 76 at Knebworth, which was awesome, & then many years later on one of their big money spinning tours & it was a massive diappointment. I'll not bother again but do I care if they want to play to bankers & trophy wives? Not a bit but I spend my cash these days seeing my lower key heroes like ex-Supertramp Roger Hodgson, Glen Campbell, Mary Chapin Carpenter, Alison Krauss & The Jayhawks, who play more intimate venues. I did go see Neil Diamond however at London's O2 & he was worth every penny imho, what a legend....& a mighty wealthy one to boot!

my point is that ........ i dont really know , i guess i find it kinda funny that to see the ultimate rock n roll show you need to have a lot of money and be in a huge arena pay some money to park your volvo and make sure you've all stopped by 10.30 pm due to council laws about the noise .

when chances are there'll be a club within 5 miles with sweat and hormones and attitude about something ... for a fiver .

if you wanna go see the stones. fine , they may be your favourite band and you may pee a litttle bit when mick blows his harmonica for midnight rambler , then you're not the guy that i'm thinking about , , but look at the seats beside you ....... i dont know what my point is ... really i dont . i just find something that makes me sad these days that people dont get it , cant put my finger on it .

my point is that ........ i dont really know , i guess i find it kinda funny that to see the ultimate rock n roll show you need to have a lot of money and be in a huge arena pay some money to park your volvo and make sure you've all stopped by 10.30 pm due to council laws about the noise .

I would question given your valid points whether thy really are the "ultimate rock n roll show" any more.....or indeed have been since the late 70s.

I did go see Deep Purple last year...now that was truly rock n roll, even allowing for the presence of the Berlin philarmonic - one amazing dual break by DP's lead guitarist & the BP's lead violinist was magical.

I would question given your valid points whether thy really are the "ultimate rock n roll show" any more.....or indeed have been since the late 70s.

I did go see Deep Purple last year...now that was truly rock n roll, even allowing for the presence of the Berlin philarmonic - one amazing dual break by DP's lead guitarist & the BP's lead violinist was magical.

a couple years ago i had a deep purple phaze i went through ( you know , a relived one , loved them when i was younger ) and had to take the cds out of the car because they made me drive too fast . i defy anyone to put highway star on and drive at 40mph

a couple years ago i had a deep purple phaze i went through ( you know , a relived one , loved them when i was younger ) and had to take the cds out of the car because they made me drive too fast . i defy anyone to put highway star on and drive at 40mph

Do yourself a favour & catch them in concert (they tour regularly in the UK) - Gillan's voice is still an amazing thing & Steve Morse a better lead than Blackmore.

Do yourself a favour & catch them in concert (they tour regularly in the UK) - Gillan's voice is still an amazing thing & Steve Morse a better lead than Blackmore.

blackmore always amazed me , how someone could play so well with their head stuck so far up their own arse :)

a proper rock star ! black candles in the house and all !

Highway star? well, you asked for it.....

Not as far a drive as you would have it. I seem to recall the same exact rant being leveled against the Stones in 1969 for having the balls to charge $20 a ticket. Their solution - throw a free concert. We all know how that one turned out.

Not as far a drive as you would have it. I seem to recall the same exact rant being leveled against the Stones in 1969 for having the balls to charge $20 a ticket. Their solution - throw a free concert. We all know how that one turned out.

well , if they do that i'll eat my words :)

was a hell of a show that though , music wasnt up there with their beat performances and all those nutters on the drums on sympathy didnt float my boat , but what a marvellous day that mustve been

Hell, I coughed up the $20. Not as good a tour as 1972 (the best Stones tour ever in my opinion) but still well worth the price of the seat. I also too to the highway with my thumb out trying to make it to Altamont. Missed it by a couple of days but I ended up hanging around San Franciso for a bit and saw some great shows including Albert King and Zephyr (with Tommy Bolin on guitar and the amazing Candy Givens on vocals).

It'll be great seeing how Mick will strut his stuff with his walker......Keith's arthritis is so bad on his fretting hand.....don't know how he does it. If you listen to the Martin Scorsese film about the Stones, you can hear that Keith is not hitting the frets cleanly. But turn up the amps loud enough and...well, who cares????

It'll be great seeing how Mick will strut his stuff with his walker......Keith's arthritis is so bad on his fretting hand.....don't know how he does it. If you listen to the Martin Scorsese film about the Stones, you can hear that Keith is not hitting the frets cleanly. But turn up the amps loud enough and...well, who cares????

It's OK: my hearing has gotten so bad it doesn't really matter.

But they're still out there doing it, and that's what counts. I think for those my age--basically contemporaries of the Stones, Beatles, the Byrds, CSN, Neil Young, etc--it just proves to us that we're still alive, and don't have to go trundling off to the nursing home in silence.

So what if they're charging a fortune for tickets? If people are willing to pay, more power to them.

It would be ridiculous to think that guys the age of PM, Del (or their children) would look at the Stones or the Beatles the same way we do. Each generation has its own music associated with "coming of age", and we cling to that forever.

Ours just happens to have been a lot better than the stuff today..... [biggrin]

Ours just happens to have been a lot better than the stuff today..... [biggrin]

Funnily enough that's what the old Teddy boys used to say, adding further curiosity to the mix that's what all the guys in their late 40's to mid 50's who were the original punks say too. So there's quite a bit of lying going on......

As for assessing the Beatles, I'd say modern day music lovers were in a better place to unbiasedly evaluate the Beatles. Having not been exposed first hand to the ridiculous hysteria and the relentless merchandise, it sort of leaves only the music for the modern critic. The music speaks for itself more than adequately. In terms of a single band pushing popular music in multiple directions and leaving a template that's still extremely powerful today they are unequaled. That further testifies to them being the best single unit of musical output in western music history for even the heartiest of detractors.

But lets look at it, they came to the US 4 times, that puts their physical presence there down to a matter of days & weeks. The same or less for all countries they visited. During that time they only briefly touched on the musical quality that was to come, in other words they came, played, smiled, quipped and wooooo'd as the best pop bands of the time did. ...and nobody heard them doing that anyway over a bunch of urinating screamers.

Would people still be talking about the Beatles in an equal abundance today had they not made it out of the Philippines alive, or had the ridiculous white brotherhood in pointy hats and ghost suits got hold of them and offloaded some of their 'justice' as they threatened to do? In all reality probably not...

As for the Stones, well they're no better than Elvis and both are no equal to Eminem. Sanitizing edgy black stuff and selling it to the white man. In fact Eminem is the only one who's done something really creative with it.

Ok Delboy, let's be having you...... We both know I'm right. :D

As for the Stones, well they're no better than Elvis and both are no equal to Eminem. Sanitizing edgy black stuff and selling it to the white man.

Sayin' it don't make it true, PM. Keep believing it, if it makes you happy, but it doesn't help make your case as a music critic or analyst of the social milieu.

As always, you have to put popular music in the context of the times. The Stones, the Beatles, all came along at the right time in the right place, with a message that resonated then (and evolved from "Yeah, Yeah, Yeah...." into something altogether different), and still resonates long after the original context is little more than a memory.

The fact that we're still listening to the Beatles and Stones 50 years later--and still arguing over their relative importance--says quite a bit about their staying power and the general quality of their music.

Of course, I still listen to stuff written by the wild-haired L.V. Beethoven guy 200 years ago. Sort of looked like Professor Brown from "Back to the Future", but the dude could write music.

...but it doesn't help make your case as a music critic or analyst of the social milieu.

I profess to be neither, Nick. If I did I'd be blogging instead of posting on the Gibson forum. Happy to discuss my opinion, but it's only as worthy as the next mans. <joke>...no matter how wrong he may be. </joke>

I profess to be neither, Nick. If I did I'd be blogging instead of posting on the Gibson forum. Happy to discuss my opinion, but it's only as worthy as the next mans. <joke>...no matter how wrong he may be. </joke>

No criticism implied or intended. We all love a good dust-up here......

Archived