Gibson Brands Forums

The Making of Bohemian Rhapsody

daveinspain

You got a crystal ball we don't know about Dave?

As far as I know, no one is making tape to record on of any quality.

The process of recording, or preserving sound is a sort of lost art, as now with digital equipment, the knowledge has shifted to how to manipulate the sound as opposed to capture it. And with that, comes less need for a performer to be able to perform the track a certain way, (as in one take, or getting it right).

Even if a performer CAN do a good performance in one take, it doesn't mean the engineer has the chops to capture it in one take. And, IF he does, and produces a great recording, it doesn't mean the mastering process exist to be able to tell the difference.

The process of the past, such as the process demonstrated here on this song, takes a LOT of effort and skill all the way around. These efforts just aren't NEEDED anymore, and the time is fast approaching (maybe here now) that it wouldn't be heard anyway.

The whole series of "Classic Albums" DVDs are great to watch.

There are some studios that actually specialize in 1970's recording techniques and use period equipment, it is not the norm but if you look for them you can find them.

As far as I know, no one is making tape to record on of any quality.

I did a quick Google...

This is from the Wikipedia article on analog recording (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reel-to-reel_audio_tape_recording#Current_manufacturers):

Tape

When Ampex broke apart in the 1990s, Quantegy Inc. was formed, later becoming Quantegy Recording Solutions in 2004. Quantegy (and formerly Ampex) led the field in reel-to-reel technology, and Quantegy was the only company left making reel-to-reel tape in the world for a period of two years. In 2007, Reel Deal Pro Audio purchased the majority of Quantegy's reel to reel audio tape and accessories and began to sell it on their web site.[9]

In 2006, Recorded Media Group International (RMGI) in the Netherlands began manufacturing EMTEC specification tape in Oosterhout and was then the only open reel tape manufacturer in the world. In January 2012 Pyral SAS in France bought out the manufacturing equipment and intellectual property of RMGI with the intent to manufacture the tape in France. http://www.rmgi.eu/rmgi.asp?Id=25 The RMGI plant at Oosterhaut was closed in April 2012. http://www.rmgi.eu/rmgi.asp[citation needed]

ATR Magnetics LLC began manufacturing analog open reel tape in 2006 and is now in full production of all sizes of professional open reel recording tape.[10][not in citation given]

Jai Electronic Industries in India are currently making audio tape in 6.35 mm(1/4") and 12.7 mm(1/2") width, and perforated 16 mm and 35 mm audio tape for the film industry.[11]

Daniel Technology in the USA are making 3.81 mm tape for the Nagra SN-series tape recorders.[12][not in citation given]

Pyral in France are making perforated 16 mm, 17.5 mm and 35 mm audio tape.[13]

The process of the past, such as the process demonstrated here on this song, takes a LOT of effort and skill all the way around. These efforts just aren't NEEDED anymore, and the time is fast approaching (maybe here now) that it wouldn't be heard anyway.

Agreed, but there are always traditionalists among us and they will go this route if its available, and like Riffster said, it is....you just need an engineer who knows how to use it and I think this becomes the deterrent....expertise = $$$$. People want to record for the cheapest possible without destroying the sound (although I think we can all agree that record companies don't seem to care as much for that piece).

The point of my original post is that the assumption that no one will ever record this way again is very negative (speaks to the state of modern music though), and very assumptive. No offense intended at all Dave...maybe it was just the way you worded it?

Tons of people record analog, just like tons of bands are doing record pressings. Hell i just bought one today, Pile - Dripping.

Though id also argue that the fact the quality of music is much much greater then 30 or 40 years ago.

Compared an original pressing of South of Heaven by Slayer, then compared a newer "remastered" version and i was noticing things i didn't in the old one! Amazing how such a difference can occur.

I know that KISS still records with tape. The new album sounded great production-wise (I love Eric Singer's drum sound), although the songs themselves didn't grab me too much. But they have the dough that most bands these days don't have. That equipment is expensive.

However, knowing what you're doing is good. A crappy producer will make a crappy sounding record with tape decks (first two KISS albums, or any old-school punk or thrash records), and a great producer will make Pro Tools sound warm and inviting. Minimal compression is nice.

Thanks for posting that, Dave. You've (indirectly) caused me to be 27 minutes behind my schedule....

Quite a few very interesting remarks;

At 6:40 "Three very annoyingly difficult guitar runs which I'd always kind of fought with on stage"...and 6:55; "Hmm...interesting to hear the real chords"....[woot]

And the final two minutes where Mr. May discusses the way the drums were mic'd-up was a surprise!

Excellent stuff.

But now I'm 35 minutes behind schedule...lol!

P.

Excellent post...!!... [thumbup]

Like all the best artists...Queen, similar to the Beatles, were known for their perfectionist ethos

Along with a highly 'intelligent' approach to writing and recording

I am continually boggled at the efforts and creativity of (mainly) Freddie and Brian in the recording process

And as mentioned...the ability to sing pitch perfect on multiple tracks...

IMO popular music today has tended to move more towards the solo performers/writers

With less of the harmonic interest exhibited here...

V

:-({|=

Archived